N/A Custom .25 TJ Compact Crown

What is your Preferred Barrel Manufacturer?

• Total voters

Ozark

Mar 31, 2019
MO
Last year I purchased Grizzly Lathe in order to have some fun at the house in the evening after the kids go to bed and I get some time to myself. It took me a few months fabricating the WorkBench as I only dedicated an hour here and there on it, but it was finally completed this fall.

After going through the break in period and getting all of the Lathe Components aligned/tuned in I was ready for a project. But what project??? (I had so many drawn out at this point so it was hard to decide.

I had a Crown Action sitting in the safe waiting for the TJ .25 Blank to be turned down and threaded so i thought I might as well start with a project with threads so I could get that learning curve our of the way.

I ended up getting some Aluminum Stock and Machining it to the exact barrel specs I needed so I would make sure I had all the tooling needed and get some practice Threading/Turing as well.

In an afternoon I had the Aluminum Practice Barrel completed and theBl Brass Transfer Port threaded on as well as the DonnyFL on the opposite end. Well, I guess it was time to Chuck up the TJ Blank and start making chips!

I completed the Barrel and Tested the Fitment. All worked out great and now was the time for a tune/test with some Hades Pellets (As I have found these to be very consistent and accurate for Squirrel Hunting), but my buddy hit me up and upped the day for our annual squirrel hunt to the day before we planned. I was excited to go and wanted to shoot this new Crown Setup so I loaded a few pellets in the magazine and shot them outside my basement door (1100pm) to ensure the barrel would chamber and shoot a pellet.

The following morning my buddy arrived at the house and we loaded up to hit some local farms for our Hunt. He asked me how the Crown was shooting and I replied, "don't know, haven't tested it. I figured we would get to our first farm and shoot a group/do a quick tune over the Chronograph/zero the scope."

I had him shoot a quick group with the Impact I loaned him for the day (my first quality PCP that is my go-to squirrel rifle and have had for around 4 years now). He shot 3 pellets at 35 yards and just said, "yep, one hole as always". He then poured some coffee started getting his gear on.

I got out the Chronograph, loaded a magazine, and got ready for a what I hoped to be a quick and painless tuning experience so we could get on our way. After around 15 shots I was shooting 840fps/ 0.3" group at 35/ Zeroed the scope. Damn, I was impressed. I really never thought I would have a desire to pick up another rifle besides my Trusty Impact when hitting the woods, but I don't know.

We spent the day hopping between some farms and had some great luck. I enjoyed Slinging, Shooting, and the overall feel of this Crown. Now I'm thinking I'm going to have to have the "it's not you, it's me" conversation with the Impact and start taking this Crown out more often before Season comes to a close.

Short Story Long the .25 TJ Super Compact Crown project was a success and happy to have the capability to completed future projects like this one.

20231117_234457.jpg

20231007_183931.jpg

20231212_155903.jpg

20231128_193405.jpg

20231125_132402.jpg

Screenshot_20231127-120911_Gallery.jpg

20231007_205749.jpg

That crown is a think of beauty. That TJ barrel would take all my worries out of owning one. With the ultra compact barrel, it looks a lot like a BSA offering, but bottle fed. I like it a lot. Wouldn’t mind owning a crown again. It was one of the best shouldering guns I’ve ever owned!

Tell us more about THAT TABLE!!! Epoxy and pellets.

Oh boy, the table.... that's a story on its own.

Many nights of pouring layers and staying up until 3am running a Torch over the top popping bubbles that would form as each layer cured. Wanted to create a One of a Kind work top and it definitely turned our better than I expected for my first time messing with Epoxy.

Short Video below highlighting the objects inside. (The small Allen Key is my favorite hidden gem. It's the one that I would always misplace when adjusting the Amp Regulator in an FX Rifle. I thought throwing it in the table would ensure I could never lose it again haha)

Nice mancave You have there (y)

What optics do You have on that Crown?
I mounted an Athlon Ares 4.5-27x50 BTR on it for now, but plan on finding a nice Prism or Low Power Optic for it as the longest shot I usually take when hunting is around 40-50 yards.

I really like the Athlon Helos 1-4.5x24 I have on my Impact I use for squirrel hunting. So I would see myself getting another Optic Similar to that for this Crown.

Reactions: swNCsw and Loff
That crown is a think of beauty. That TJ barrel would take all my worries out of owning one. With the ultra compact barrel, it looks a lot like a BSA offering, but bottle fed. I like it a lot. Wouldn’t mind owning a crown again. It was one of the best shouldering guns I’ve ever owned!
I really like the BSA style. It definitely reminds me of those rifles. I would really like to get a walnut stock made up that's more traditional and doesn't have the thumbhole feature, but this synthetic stock will work for a season!

I will definitely give them a go! Any suggestions on FPS?
I shoot them in the 875-900fps range. But I wouldn’t get hung up on hitting those numbers. I would just try them at your current settings and go from there. You don’t want a big blast of air chasing them chasing a speed that your barrel length is fighting.

Reactions: Ozark
You are a true inspiration! I've been building ARs for 12yrs, bolt guns for the last year. Assembling pre selected parts and putting my tweaks and magic to them to shoot sub MOA. The next step in my evolution was/is getting a lathe and chambering/threading my own barrels from blanks. Took a class and chambered one barrel. Two day class, very small exposure to the venture, but I mainly did it to see if I had the brain and passion to continue the quest. Yup, I do. So, going to use my GI Bill education funds to attend machining classes in the Spring and hopefully get really good at lathing & machining & such! LOL

Oh boy, the table.... that's a story on its own.

Many nights of pouring layers and staying up until 3am running a Torch over the top popping bubbles that would form as each layer cured. Wanted to create a One of a Kind work top and it definitely turned our better than I expected for my first time messing with Epoxy.

Short Video below highlighting the objects inside. (The small Allen Key is my favorite hidden gem. It's the one that I would always misplace when adjusting the Amp Regulator in an FX Rifle. I thought throwing it in the table would ensure I could never lose it again haha)

nice , and great man cave .

You are a true inspiration! I've been building ARs for 12yrs, bolt guns for the last year. Assembling pre selected parts and putting my tweaks and magic to them to shoot sub MOA. The next step in my evolution was/is getting a lathe and chambering/threading my own barrels from blanks. Took a class and chambered one barrel. Two day class, very small exposure to the venture, but I mainly did it to see if I had the brain and passion to continue the quest. Yup, I do. So, going to use my GI Bill education funds to attend machining classes in the Spring and hopefully get really good at lathing & machining & such! LOL
Sounds like you are on the right track! Definitely a great use of the GI Bill (I wish I would have used mine for something in the machining/fabricating field).

Keep us all in the loop on your future projects when you get all setup!

Reactions: BradAir
Nice work & skills!!! Had a TJ custom barrel on my FX and it wasn't the magic fairy dust some people think they are and did nothing but made the gun heavy. With the right tune FX barrels are every bit as good if not better. YMMV.
With the right real barrel and slug, you can say goodbye to playing with the valve and how every little movement on it changes your groups. Nodes schmodes. Liners can shoot quite well, I just got tired of how finicky they are.

Reactions: mercado and qball