• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Current scope(s), Next scope, and Dream scope???

Is 1-10 really that much more useful than 1, 10?

For me 1x for self defense on my AR or for the occasional 3 gun match.

With versatility in mind:
Side focus which ""is awesome to have" and used for general shooting or if I want to use it on a air rifle or 22rf and shoot close.
Well made scope I can count on.
1x for SD or 3 gun.
Lightweight because the gun was already heavy.
Need for DFP to use MIL holds but see the reticle full size too.
Daylight bright red dot.
10x for long range.

Sounds funny but I like to try the different magnifications for the heck of it. I like to holdover and dial too so I play around with all three aspects.

There was nothing in the entire scope market that fit the bill better at the time I got it.

If I didn't need 1x I wouldn't have gotten this scope. Am I glad I have it, YES, and no plans to sell it.

With this scope I can do almost anything I could want to do - versatility.
Which scope?

@bigHUN I got a Riton 7 CONQUER 4-32×56 that had an srp of 1980 that they put on sale for 3 days for $990. So sometimes the stars do line up!
@Centercut I was wondering about the Heras line myself. I've been looking for a 4 x 18 x ?? and it has popped up on the radar along with the new vortex strike eagle.
Dream scope - March, Steiner, K&H... I can only dream!
Can you please tell us how is the Riton? Are you still happy with it?

Have you done a review or any indepth notes about it?

No I haven't. Over on Snipers Hide in the Optics forum there are lots of people that have these and that also own other brands of LPVO's that give their thoughts on it. If you haven't already go research there.

Basically the glass isn't fantastic, however it is still good, and the rest of the scope is top notch.

Is 1-10 really that much more useful than 1, 10?

For me 1x for self defense on my AR or for the occasional 3 gun match.

With versatility in mind:
Side focus which ""is awesome to have" and used for general shooting or if I want to use it on a air rifle or 22rf and shoot close.
Well made scope I can count on.
1x for SD or 3 gun.
Lightweight because the gun was already heavy.
Need for DFP to use MIL holds but see the reticle full size too.
Daylight bright red dot.
10x for long range.

Sounds funny but I like to try the different magnifications for the heck of it. I like to holdover and dial too so I play around with all three aspects.

There was nothing in the entire scope market that fit the bill better at the time I got it.

If I didn't need 1x I wouldn't have gotten this scope. Am I glad I have it, YES, and no plans to sell it.

With this scope I can do almost anything I could want to do - versatility.
Steve,
If I am understanding you, in my own little context, I like to do the same thing with magnifications and the rest of what you said. Playing around with facets of a scope becomes a ‘sport’ for me in its own right. And thanks for the candid and differentiating comments on the Shorty. I recently looked through my first March scope (not mine), a regular 1-10, and the glass did not appear to be spectacular. I did nothing with the diopter, which could have played a small role. S7

Reactions: steve123
interesting , i was at a PBgun show ,a monthly event Huge @ cave city KY , anyway i picked up a Leapers 4X25 for $10 (just could not leave it on that table ) Have no idea of quality or original price .
Back to original OP probably something under 2K
bt, I am presently rereading this thread. I have heard some very good things about the Razor LHTs, with a couple of people complaining about this and that (e.g., losing zero or a reticle shift, if I remember). They can be had at a good price, too, well within your specified range. And they are so light, if that matters.
And, despite the contrary reviews by some, I have heard good things about the Nexus, including from Ilya, which often sells for around $1000 in like-new condition on this forum. I would really like to see one so I can make my own determinations.
If the Razor LHT 3-15 (SFP) did not have a 20-yard parallax, I would likely have bought it for around $900 several weeks ago. The LHT 4.5-22 is FFP and parallaxes at 25 yards, I think.
I have never, in my brief time of exposure to scopes, heard a single bad thing about the Cronus. If not for the weight and parallax (I presently prefer 30 ounces or less and 10 yards), I would likely have bought this scope.
Now, you may know all this, and more.
S7

For target shooting…this comes tomorrow:

I bought this and have no regrets. Use it for 50 and 100y bench rest.

CURRENT SCOPES:
- SWFA Fixed 10x42 MIL Quad Reticle with side focus.

- SWFA 3-15x42 FFP MIL Quad Reticle with side focus.

- Athlon Helos BTR Gen2 2-12x42 AHMR2 MIL Reticle.

- Dedal-NV Stalker fixed 6x.

- Athlon Cronus BTR Gen2 4.5-29x56 APRS6 MIL Reticle.

- Nightforce NX8 F1 2.5-20x50 with MIL-C Reticle.

- Kahles K525i 5-25x56 SKMR Reticle.

- March-FX High Master 4.5-28x52 with FML-TR1 Reticle.

- ZCO ZC420 4-20x50 with MPCT1 Reticle.

NEXT SCOPE:
Not sure yet. It depends on what airgun I decide to get next. I always try to match the scope to the gun and it's purpose.

DREAM SCOPE:
- ZCO ZC527 5-27x56 with newer 10 MIL per rotation and NLE turrets released at Shot Show 2023.

- March Genesis 4-40x52 or 6-60x56.

- I wouldn't mind a Tangent Theta 5-25x56 but the parallax only goes down to 50 meters.

I'm not asking for much and one can only dream right?
You have some serious scopes P671. How do you like the TR1 reticle? S7

I think that is a legitimate question. When I got back into airguns about 8 years I was pretty noob to scopes and thought there is no way I would ever spend $2K on a scope. Now I have a few, but do I need them - probably not for my shooting but I really do enjoy them.

I don't buy into the argument that people buy them to show off, maybe some do. I mean get what works for you in a range you can afford. But show respect for other's choices. No disrespect to those who prefer cheaper nor those who spend more.

I have several Vector Veyrons, a Hawke and some other in the $5-600 range and a few really nice March. I can tell the difference when I go from the low to medium to high tier.

The real question, I believe, alludes to a thread from last week. Does a better scope make you a better shooter? Maybe it aids a little bit as you may have more clarity of view, a better reticle, more accurate clicking. But it's no replacement for practice.
ct, What March's do you have, and do you have a favorite, if you don't mind me asking. Thanks. S7

Very fortunate to have inherited a SCHMIDT*BENDER 5-25x56 PM II scope.

It now resides atop my new .30 cal EPOCH ... nice package no doubt.
q.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 2L8
You have some serious scopes P671. How do you like the TR1 reticle? S7
The March FML-TR1 reticle is one of my favorite reticles out of the bunch. I like the size of the floating center dot and hash marks around it especially in the low magnification range. I feel that other optics with less than .04 MIL center dots are a little too small for my eyes.

I also like the MPCT-1 reticle on my ZCO 420. I just wish it had the center dot with hash marks around it from the March FML-TR1 reticle. That would be my perfect reticle.

The March FML-TR1 reticle is one of my favorite reticles out of the bunch. I like the size of the floating center dot and hash marks around it especially in the low magnification range. I feel that other optics with less than .04 MIL center dots are a little too small for my eyes.

I also like the MPCT-1 reticle on my ZCO 420. I just wish it had the center dot with hash marks around it from the March FML-TR1 reticle. That would be my perfect reticle.
Got it. I like the TR1 too. And I was watching videos of the ZCO 420 reticle also. I liked it overall. Thanks for the response. S7

I think that is a legitimate question. When I got back into airguns about 8 years I was pretty noob to scopes and thought there is no way I would ever spend $2K on a scope. Now I have a few, but do I need them - probably not for my shooting but I really do enjoy them.

I don't buy into the argument that people buy them to show off, maybe some do. I mean get what works for you in a range you can afford. But show respect for other's choices. No disrespect to those who prefer cheaper nor those who spend more.

I have several Vector Veyrons, a Hawke and some other in the $5-600 range and a few really nice March. I can tell the difference when I go from the low to medium to high tier.

The real question, I believe, alludes to a thread from last week. Does a better scope make you a better shooter? Maybe it aids a little bit as you may have more clarity of view, a better reticle, more accurate clicking. But it's no replacement for practice.
This is good post/answer 👌
Referring to the last paragraph, once you get to any point beyond 'functional and reliable' it's not about the optic making you a better shooter but rather the experience of using it.
If you are a dialer, more positive, tactile clicks might help prevent the occasional frustration of having to go back to zero and recount for a long shot.
Regarding the optics, you spend virtually every moment you are actually physically shooting your gun peering through the scope on top of it.
Everyone, within their means and ability to justify such things, is looking for the best possible view they can get, mostly for the pure simple enjoyment of it.

Reactions: Sanctify7