• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Current scope(s), Next scope, and Dream scope???

Is there really any value to a really expensive scope on a gun you probably won’t reach out with past a 100yds? This is a sincere question and not a dig.
Only you can answer that. Value is a term that can be used for anything whether it's a want or need. In regards to optics, yes there is a difference in optical quality even within 100 yards. The good thing is that like with all things, there's a price range that can fit everyone's budget. You have to decide what the value is worth to you. Even with budget scopes, there's always an argument on which is the best. The way I look at it, I shoot my airguns more than my PBs so I'm always looking for the next best optic I can afford to mount on top of them.

Is there really any value to a really expensive scope on a gun you probably won’t reach out with past a 100yds? This is a sincere question and not a dig.
This question comes up a lot… from the other side of it, I don’t understand why people think you only need a good scope if only shooting over 100 yards.

There is only value there if you deem there to be value. Value is personal. I have owned and own cheap scopes, and I own expensive scopes. Different tools for different jobs. I can sit beside someone with an $80 scope and get beat with my $2300 scope, and can still be perfectly happy.

I think that is a legitimate question. When I got back into airguns about 8 years I was pretty noob to scopes and thought there is no way I would ever spend $2K on a scope. Now I have a few, but do I need them - probably not for my shooting but I really do enjoy them.

I don't buy into the argument that people buy them to show off, maybe some do. I mean get what works for you in a range you can afford. But show respect for other's choices. No disrespect to those who prefer cheaper nor those who spend more.

I have several Vector Veyrons, a Hawke and some other in the $5-600 range and a few really nice March. I can tell the difference when I go from the low to medium to high tier.

The real question, I believe, alludes to a thread from last week. Does a better scope make you a better shooter? Maybe it aids a little bit as you may have more clarity of view, a better reticle, more accurate clicking. But it's no replacement for practice.

I don't buy into the argument that people buy them to show off, maybe some do. I mean get what works for you in a range you can afford. But show respect for other's choices. No disrespect to those who prefer cheaper nor those who spend more.
I totally agree. Sometimes I feel ashamed to post the optics I have because people might think I'm bragging but it's not the case. If someone asks, then I'll post with the objective of helping someone's decision when comparing scopes. The same thing can be said when someone asks for comparisons between budget scopes. Everyone shares their experiences and opinions within that price range. The one thing I won't do or try not to do is to give an opinion of something I don't own or have any experience with. The OP asked what our current scope, next scope, and dream scope were so answered accordingly with nothing more and nothing less.

@Peskådot671, I’ve enjoyed your post about your guns and scopes. And though I don’t foresee owning tier 1 scopes. I appreciate the comparisons those that do use them, can make to lower tier scopes. Those observations are a great help for us shooters purchasing less expensive scopes. So don’t stop posting up those nice guns and scopes… That would be a shame.

@Peskådot671, I’ve enjoyed your post about your guns and scopes. And though I don’t foresee owning tier 1 scopes. I appreciate the comparisons those that do use them, can make to lower tier scopes. Those observations are a great help for us shooters purchasing less expensive scopes. So don’t stop posting up those nice guns and scopes… That would be a shame.
Thanks L.Leon. One of the examples I can give is when I was looking to replace my old Burris Fullfield II 3-9x scope with BDC reticle on my Brocock Contour S6 Elite. I didn't care for the BDC reticle and the turrets were capped and in MOA. Parallax was also fixed at 50 yards. I came across a post from steve123 on the Athlon Helos BTR Gen2 2-12x42 when it first came out which cost around $500.

Knowing what scopes steve123 has and his experience looking through some higher-end optics, he gave a good recommendation on the Athlon Helos. Not every airgun I own has to have an uber-expensive scope. My Brocock Contour only puts out 16 FPE and I wasn't willing to spend for an optic that would only be used within 25-40 yards. I trusted his opinion and when I received the scope, I wasn't disappointed.

Last edited:
Steve, what do you think of the new Athlon Heras line? They seem to be about the same price range as Helos. What the difference and why buy one over the other? PS., I have an Athlon Helos gen2 2-12x on my speed gun and it’s awesome!

Ah you ended up with a AH G2 DMR 2-12, I didn't know that, awesome. Might give you a slight edge in speed here and there!

I like the Heras 2-12 and the 4-20 the most in that line. I think the .2 mil reticles are a neat feature in these scopes.
Not much of a SFP guy but I have the Heras 4-20 on my centerfire varmint rifle. I'll use low mag for coyote calling at some point and have used 20x for shooting steel where mils are correct.

I'd rather have the Helos G2 6-24 than the Heras 6-24 FFP but that's a personal preference thing. The Heras is 2oz lighter if someone wants to save a little on weight and a simpler reticle.

Except for the 1-10, the Helos G2's are FFP so they usually suit me better. The Helos G2 6-24 is what I have on my Anschutz 22rf that I use at XFT and at times the illumination has helped me at those night matches. Nothing to complain about with either my 2-12's or my 6-24.

For target shooting…this comes tomorrow:

I have one on my RAW HM1000x 22 cal and it is flawless.

I've had a lot of top tier optics, but there's something to be said about alpha glass and 36mm tubes ❤️

73BE4459-D719-49EF-BA77-73A05FA76B04.jpeg

I owned a few zco and I love the glass when i got them was intro price they cost way more now , I own a TT and it is a clear solid light weight scope it is mildot it is a 3x15 , not the 5x27 , I still love my PM2 5x25 however , whiel they were ling 15 yrs ago alot of new scopes now , If I were to get a dream scope hmm I dont know I have razor3 and a pm2 5x45 so mabe a 5x26 hensoldts but not for cost , I also like swarovskiv89 glass but just do not like choices or reticles or just sfp , I find using more mid to lower lever scopes on pcp when hunting them heavy teir one scopes great for long range shooting but not small game hunting

ne thing about parallax on lower powers with better glass sight picture clear even on fixed parallax scopes , it only comes into play at very hi magnifaction , a non issue for me min parallax say 50 yds

Last edited:
I don't think nyy of my scopes cost over $150....not counting one that was given to me by my dad; its mounted on a pb that he gave me. It will never leave its.current installment situation 🤪🤙
Most people shoot 100yds and less and I never understood why people spend $1k+ on airgun optics, just like I refuse to pay $400 for a bipod when the cheap ones do the same job.. the most expensive scope I have is a element helix and that’s overkill, all my other scopes are cheaper scopes like Aeon, discovery etc.. and they work great and get the job done as long as I do my part.

Reactions: iAMzehTOASTY1
Most people shoot 100yds and less and I never understood why people spend $1k+ on airgun optics, just like I refuse to pay $400 for a bipod when the cheap ones do the same job.. the most expensive scope I have is a element helix and that’s overkill, all my other scopes are cheaper scopes like Aeon, discovery etc.. and they work great and get the job done as long as I do my part.
Yup. Nothing super fancy for me. I work with what I can lol🤷‍♂️🤪🤙

Yup. Nothing super fancy for me. I work with what I can lol🤷‍♂️🤪🤙
I guess these high tier guys think that since they have a $2k air rifle they have to throw on a $1k+, scope on it too lol.. oh well to each his own, I would rather spend $250 for a scope and spend the rest on ammo 😀

I guess these high tier guys think that since they have a $2k air rifle they have to throw on a $1k+, scope on it too lol.. oh well to each his own, I would rather spend $250 for a scope and spend the rest on ammo 😀
I'm leary of going over $150😅 I'm not a rich guy. Over the years ive heard some people say that the glass should cost X times more than the gun....🤯🤨I go the other way?....

Snatched up a scope at orschelns the other day.
$14 for a little daisy 4×15 Powerline series. Got home and it made its way to its permanent home on my daisy 880🤷‍♂️ perfect fit and brand match🥴🤪🤙

Reactions: HubenK1Sniper92
I'm leary of going over $150😅 I'm not a rich guy. Over the years ive heard some people say that the glass should cost X times more than the gun....🤯🤨I go the other way?....

Snatched up a scope at orschelns the other day.
$14 for a little daisy 4×15 Powerline series. Got home and it made its way to its permanent home on my daisy 880🤷‍♂️ perfect fit and brand match🥴🤪🤙
Nothing wrong with that, buy what ya can afford.. I got lucky awhile back when Aeon went out of business and pyramid air was selling them cheap for like $100-$150
Got my 8x32x50 for $125 and I love them for the price. I wish I would have bought 10 of them to just have them lol

0B809FC3-EB78-4910-BCDA-5AA9FA09488C.jpeg

Reactions: iAMzehTOASTY1