Current Pace Of Air Gun Advancements Will Bring Regulation !

Status
Not open for further replies.
@oldcrow, Airguns might be weapons to you. Firearms are weapons and are universally recognized as such. Our rights to own Airguns are not protected by the Second Amendment. Boo hoo! If I need to protect myself I wouldn't be reaching for my air gun weapon.
1f644.svg
No sarcasm necessary. 

I dunno the sarcasm tag was applied so that nobody would get their panties in a wad. It looks to me like I needed to make it bold and in caps. EDIT: Let me go fix that.

You may define your toys however you like. When I use my airguns to take game I am using a weapon.

In my not so humble opinion, the 2A was intended to protect "Arms" ... Not "firearms". That, however is a whole lot like YOUR OPINION... It is just an opinion.

Pick that wedgie, you will feel better.🙂

@oldcrow, taking game with a tool is called "hunting". If you're using said "tool" to protect yourself from predators, humans or others, it's a weapon. I doubt anyone here would pick a airgun as their weapon of choice in a life or death situation. I will concede that a minority of users might consider Airguns weapons. Its your phrases like panties in a wad" or picking wedgies!? That lead me to believe you're just stirring the pot here. In a traditional sense Airguns are not considered "Arms" "To keep and bear Airguns" is nowhere in the text of the 2nd Amendment. "A regulated militia." Did not mean a group of men armed with Huma regulated PCPs.

@oldcrow, taking game with a tool is called "hunting". If you're using said "tool" to protect yourself from predators, humans or others, it's a weapon. I doubt anyone here would pick a airgun as their weapon of choice in a life or death situation. I will concede that a minority of users might consider Airguns weapons.

...Probably only the ones who kill things with them, yes. My airguns "identify" as weapons. Do feel free to "identify" any way you wish. BUT KNOW THIS: I am as entitled to my opinion as you are to yours.

Its your phrases like panties in a wad" or picking wedgies!? That lead me to believe you're just stirring the pot here.

...Do you also keep imaginary friends? I posted <SARCASM> because I did not want some hyper-sensitive "member" to get his panties in a wad... APPARENTLY that was not enough for you. OH WELL. You see, your problem is simple. You fail to realize that I value your opinion at least as highly as you value mine. The difference between you and me is also simple. I know absolutely that each of us is entitled to his opinion, whereas you seem to think you are entitled to GIVE me my opinion. There is a place you can put that idea.

In a traditional sense Airguns are not considered "Arms" "To keep and bear Airguns" is nowhere in the text of the 2nd Amendment. "A regulated militia." Did not mean a group of men armed with Huma regulated PCPs.

...In your imagination Airguns are not considered "Arms". In your opinion, "To keep and bear arms" does not apply to "arms in general". In my opinion it does. In your opinion "a well regulated militia" only applies to people armed with "firearms". In mine it refers to any weapon which might be available and put into service as a TOOL to defend the republic. Now then let me reiterate. You are entitled to YOUR opinion. You are NOT entitled to give me mine. So again there is a place you are welcome to put your attitude. It's real close to that wedgie. ;)

<SARCASM>

This is NOT a weapon.

<\SARCASM>

Get over it. It isn't going to get better.

Yeah...well...maybe, in some life.

This is what was said about 400fps crossbows five or six years back. These super fast bows were going to bring new, heavy regulations, broken parts and unneeded visibility from the "anti-crossbow" people.

Well...as it seems, no one listened to the "sky is falling" crowd. Many...current crossbows now have the power to propel their arrows...well "over" 400fps, the limbs are holding up, no new regulations that weren't already in effect..!! And the anti-crossbow crowd...are still the same anti-crossbow crowd. Nuthin new there.

AND...as time marches on...the vertical bow folks, that have HATED, crossbows in the past...still like their hunting, but are getting too old and feeble to pull the vertical bow string back to battery...have NOW...turned to crossbows. You can read about it happening all the time if you read the forums enough..!

Mike

I think you make pretty good points. I hope it works out that way. Stranger things have happened. I figure reality is going to set in and the pendulum is going to swing back the other way, real hard and real soon. I remember the 70's. By the end of JC's reign things looked pretty bleak, but we came back. If the people are up for it we can do that again. It is all about the citizens.

Putting our heads in the sand maybe convenient and self-assuring but not a long term solution. Drone flying is an example. Even after successive preemptive self-regulations by the drone community, the government stepped in, especially in light of the numerous commercial airspace violations I guess some think if we ignore and downplay the potential problem it will go away. Or lets assume that the general public remains clueless forever as to the new firearm-like capabilities of airguns. I recommend that you visit Canada or the UK if you want to appreciate the control and micro-management that the government extended over airguns and you may think naively that you will be immune forever. 

The largest barrier to having an idiot misuse a high-powered airgun right now is: money. The general public will not fork out $1k or $2K for a "toy". But as the OP said, sooner or later there will be an event, or two, or more. It takes about 58 ft/lbs for a well-placed shot to be lethal. How many of you shoot at that power regularly or even close to twice that? What goes in our favor is that such energy dissipates much much quicker further away from the muzzle compared to a firearm bullet. With the rapid adoption of slugs that energy is retained at much longer ranges.

Just because you are not stupid and reckless, do not assume that others are not. Since you cannot stop stupid, sooner or later we will see some regulation coming down. And like it was mentioned: wait till some "journalists" get a hold of some juicy story involving an airgun and start digging deeper.

Reactions: OldSpook

The largest barrier to having an idiot misuse a high-powered airgun right now is: money. 

Just because you are not stupid and reckless, do not assume that others are not. Since you cannot stop stupid, sooner or later we will see some regulation coming down. And like it was mentioned: wait till some "journalists" get a hold of some juicy story involving an airgun and start digging deeper.

+1000

Don't worry about the money issue. Cheap Chinese knock offs are going to solve that part of the equation.

Lot of good post here and the OP is of concern but until the anti-real gunners are successful in taking away our firearms I'll wait till then to be worried. 

The main reason I have air-bb-pellet toys is in case the government wins but that is going to be tough to do, well maybe not.

On another OP about pellet supplies there was someone from Australia who said they can only buy pellets from a dealer and you have to have a license to purchase pellets so if I can be like that there,........what a totally STUPID law.

Also, someone mentioned on this post that full autos are stupid, why's that? They are a huge kick in the pants even though I rarely shoot full auto. Semi, lots.

I doubt it. Most people hear "air rifle" or "pellet gun" and more times than not think kids toys. The criminal element isn't going to going to use them, not macho enough.

Yes, but the problem, many of our legislators are as dumb as the criminals, plus, they want to be reelected. That could be a bad combination for the average air gun owner. From the politician's perspective, the issue is not whether a bill does any good, but whether they can present a case to the average, uninformed voter, that it does. Regulating air guns as a means of crime control is, of course, ludicrous. But, the average citizen could be sold on it.

@oldcrow, you need to get over "it"... Imaginary friends? Your Airguns identify themselves as weapons? Do they say anything else to you? My Airguns don't identify as anything they are the tools they are. Airguns are not weapons to the majority of users. And your opinion on the Second is just that, an opinion. Nowhere in the text does it say a damn thing about air guns, the Second is understood to be about firearms, not bows and arrows, knives, Airguns, etc. That sir is a fact.

Air guns are already regulated, 😄. Their are rules and regulations in many states, that horse left the barn long ago.

True. Even if a state has limited regulations on airguns, municipalities certainly do. Where I live there was not much of anything, up to a few years ago. Unless I can shoot airguns inside my house, which with my pistols I do, I have to take them to the Conservation Club I belong to, and shoot them along side of my firearms.

This is what was said about 400fps crossbows five or six years back. These super fast bows were going to bring new, heavy regulations, broken parts and unneeded visibility from the "anti-crossbow" people.

Well...as it seems, no one listened to the "sky is falling" crowd. Many...current crossbows now have the power to propel their arrows...well "over" 400fps, the limbs are holding up, no new regulations that weren't already in effect..!! And the anti-crossbow crowd...are still the same anti-crossbow crowd. Nuthin new there.

AND...as time marches on...the vertical bow folks, that have HATED, crossbows in the past...still like their hunting, but are getting too old and feeble to pull the vertical bow string back to battery...have NOW...turned to crossbows. You can read about it happening all the time if you read the forums enough..!

Mike

I was going to say the very same thing. My son in-law has been a avid bow hunter his whole life but now at 52 and having been a enlisted Marine for 30 years he's had to switch to a cross bow due to bad shoulders. Bows have been able to kill a person for centuries but they still aren't any laws controlling who can buy one and any waiting period when you buy. The same applies to cross bows.

hehehe...

Every now and then, when I'm filling out UPS shipping info, I'll write down in the description area, "Pneumatic paper hole puncher". I mean.. all I really do is put holes in paper so, it does fit the description. Maybe I'll put, "Long distance pneumatic hole puncher" down for one someday! ;)

No kidding, I've really done this!

I like the one who said it was a "pneumatic stapler" ... =)

Mike

I was going to say the very same thing. My son in-law has been a avid bow hunter his whole life but now at 52 and having been a enlisted Marine for 30 years he's had to switch to a cross bow due to bad shoulders. Bows have been able to kill a person for centuries but they still aren't any laws controlling who can buy one and any waiting period when you buy. The same applies to cross bows.

Well sure, but we all know a bow or for that matter a crossbow is NOT a weapon. A bow is a "dowel projector". A long bow is a "long dowel projector" and a crossbow is a "short dowel projector". They are both tools for executing the first step in the process of converting Bambi into a possibles bag. ;) And make no mistake, even though both were weapons still in military use at the time the 2A was written, they are NOT and never were intended to be covered under that Amendment. ~~ I have that on reliable authority as a FACT. So...

Status
Not open for further replies.