Current Pace Of Air Gun Advancements Will Bring Regulation !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Forgive me and my rant, but the air gun industry has seen a huge increase in advancements over the last decade. These advancements have not really been spotlighted yet. If we look at the power, range, reloading speed, and sound modification, a reporter/politician could easily build an absolutely devastating infomercial against air gun sales.

I know this is not a new topic, but as old air gunner can anything be done to slow down this inevitable regulation??

I only point to the full automatic airguns that are now being advertised mowing down 12 inch bricks of ice in seconds and the shooter laughing away. The 600 to 1200 yard air gun shots at soda cans with success. The silent operation without the need of a silencer license. The shooting through full bricks of concrete with dust blowing everywhere. The killing of exotic animals with large caliber air guns that gets 500K views and 100k dislikes on youtube. The list goes on and on. It would really only take 1 individual to put together a video montage of these capabilities and forward this to a local news station as an unregulated killing machine.... 

For the most part I do not shoot firearms because of the hassle. The hassle of firearm registration, ammo costs, shortages, range fees and the extend wait for a silencer which is over 1 year. The list is long for many of us who use air gunning as a substitute. Air guns for most of us are different and we have our reasons for using these over traditional firearms. As companies move us closer to the capabilities of firearms, I shutter to think of the consequences that will follow no doubt to their own doing.

Perception becomes reality .......Remington anyone ??

Jay

Reactions: fe7565
Possibly someday it could happen. Posts like this that bring more attention to it and help it along for sure. Maybe some people should think about the consequences of their posts before they make them?

To put it bluntly just don't post things that could be construed as negative, by the masses, about our wonderful sport if you want it to be around longer.

<SARCASM>

But air guns are not weapons, right?

Let's just call them something like "Air shoooters". Nobody will know what we're talkin about. Nobody will be offended or upset. And we won't get any any unfavorable attention.

Meanwhile we can make them more and more like a "real" gun. Nobody will ever lump Us in with those other guys.

</SARCASM>

EDIT: Apparently some folks are having a problem with their "bifocals" ...

Oh I don’t know. The good people of Connecticut, after a guy killed 20 first graders, couldn’t even remove 10 rounds from a magazine, you know, so you can’t shoot so many first graders at a time. Exactly nothing happened, now it’s in the past. I wouldn’t worry too much, next week or month someone will do something with a high powered firearm, and take all the pressure you’re feeling away.

I disagree, the current pace of society will bring regulations to our airguns. The current trend of people in general becoming more fearful of every little thing, coupled with the fact that they believe they have a right to live without fear will bring the new legislation. This age where the masses of entitled pussies that think anything the don't like or agree with warrants action by a government agency of their choosing will be the downfall of our freedoms.

5309138B-97FD-46B2-8AB5-A2C20FC93D20.1635601394.jpeg

@oldcrow, Airguns might be weapons to you. Firearms are weapons and are universally recognized as such. Our rights to own Airguns are not protected by the Second Amendment. Boo hoo! If I need to protect myself I wouldn't be reaching for my air gun weapon.🙄 No sarcasm necessary. 

@jaydog, while you make good points. Can you point or reference places here in the USA where air guns are not regulated currently? Slowing down companies trying make a buck? Don't patronize them, all we can do is be vigilant and responsible shooters, no hand wringing necessary.

I'm going to go against the grain here and say I am NOT concerned at all with the federal US govt regulating airguns. 

The moderator/silencer argument is just stupid - no one cares about a $200 tax that's over 100 years old - the feds won't be getting involved.

Only regulation currently in place, and what I expect to see in the near/mid future, is state/city/town laws.

Yeah...well...maybe, in some life.

This is what was said about 400fps crossbows five or six years back. These super fast bows were going to bring new, heavy regulations, broken parts and unneeded visibility from the "anti-crossbow" people.

Well...as it seems, no one listened to the "sky is falling" crowd. Many...current crossbows now have the power to propel their arrows...well "over" 400fps, the limbs are holding up, no new regulations that weren't already in effect..!! And the anti-crossbow crowd...are still the same anti-crossbow crowd. Nuthin new there.

AND...as time marches on...the vertical bow folks, that have HATED, crossbows in the past...still like their hunting, but are getting too old and feeble to pull the vertical bow string back to battery...have NOW...turned to crossbows. You can read about it happening all the time if you read the forums enough..!

Mike

@oldcrow, Airguns might be weapons to you. Firearms are weapons and are universally recognized as such. Our rights to own Airguns are not protected by the Second Amendment. Boo hoo! If I need to protect myself I wouldn't be reaching for my air gun weapon.🙄 No sarcasm necessary. 

@jaydog, while you make good points. Can you point or reference places here in the USA where air guns are not regulated currently? Slowing down companies trying make a buck? Don't patronize them, all we can do is be vigilant and responsible shooters, no hand wringing necessary.

Leon, Oldcrow, Paint ball guns are referenced as Markers lol. I know I know..., but on the field many guys made a point in correcting me about calling it a paintball gun many years ago. We use to call them that and now the new naming convention as stuck. Many years have gone by since then. They have done this for many reasons but most important is BRANDING... Many parents did not want their kids shooting each other with Paintball GUNS. It hurts the same but sounds better that I got MARKED versus SHOT. Wisely EVERYONE started saying MARKER with a rolling of the eyes. Oldcrow maybe call them PELLET MARKERS ????

L.Lean, totally agree. I do not want to be the hand wringing guy. We are all have the same end goals which is keeping our freedoms. The issues and arguments happen in the IMPLEMENTATION of keeping them. I do not want to get too specific on what is and not regulated, but right now I can buy anything out there. If I was an ex-Con I could buy them as well. There is no waiting for 2 years on sound moderators for PELLET MARKERS. There is not a federal laws broken if I lend my Sound Moderator to a buddy like there is in the firearm community. Let me be clear, I do not think there should be any regulation as well. This becomes an issue when people start comparing the firearm industry to the Pellet Marker industry... The big question is how do we self govern if at all possible without big brother coming in to SAVE THE DAY !!

As far as the bow/crossbow argument is concerned apples and oranges. Been there done that, yes possible regulation but those bows look nothing like a 6.5 creedmore and a 50X scope !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.