• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Tuning Curious if anyone does this religiously as part of maintenance

I see the concerns of seizing when silicone is applied to threaded parts. I’ve applied silicone to o rings on threaded end caps many times, and to really make that a concern is you either are not being aware of lube application, are all thumbs with two left hands, or just don’t care. Either way, for that seize to happen, that’s a lot of lube on the threads! My original post was two, maybe three drops at every 5 gun top offs. Those three drops will be lucky to even make it to the threads, as it has an o ring typically in the way and if you had a leak, well that’s the only way but leaks get fixed immediately.

three drops will migrate into the regulator, then eventually into the valve, providing not a flood of lube but a thin coat.

My intent was not to force upon a maintenance idea, but to see who else does this

Not a bad idea I might start doing this for my guns it would get to regulators and to the valve orings poppet and stem I think a little lube is better than nothing at all and you shouldn't use anything else but silicone on hpa is what I've been told

Actually, silicone is a very poor lubricant of metal, and it can cause seizing of metal-to-metal surfaces subject to high heat or pressure. It's a good lube for O rings, but not in places where it can migrate to metal bearing surfaces. I know a well regarded high end air rifle maker. I'll ask about this, maybe get some useful information.

I got a quick response from my rifle maker contact. It was succinct, "keep it well away". He was referring to using silicone for this purpose. Whether he would recommend the practice using any other substance, he didn't say. Use your best judgment.

Well then I’ll have to email Huub at Huma and tell him to remove all the silicone syringes he provides in his regulator rebuild kits then.

everyone keeps forgetting I mentioned in the HPA section.

I got a quick response from my rifle maker contact. It was succinct, "keep it well away". He was referring to using silicone for this purpose. Whether he would recommend the practice using any other substance, he didn't say. Use your best judgment.

Well then I’ll have to email Huub at Huma and tell him to remove all the silicone syringes he provides in his regulator rebuild kits then.

A well-known airgun Smith here on the East Coast told me that he wouldn’t say that he recommended it but also at the same time said it wasn’t a bad idea. When you buy a brand new gun, how do you even know if they properly lubed the O-rings when they assembled it? I usually put just a couple drops around every eight fills.

Here is my take from all I've heard about silicone and air rifles. Fact, silicone was developed as a rubber lubricant. It has been proven to cause seIzing of metal parts that are subject to high temp, which includes high pressure. So, I use it very lightly to lube O rings, but only those not close to high pressure metal contacts. For example, I would not use it to lube an air bottle O ring. Apparently, the big risk is when it's used to lube threaded metal fasteners subject to pressure and/or heat, such as the threads on an air bottle or cylinder. Again, I'm only reporting what I've been told from sources I consider reliable. 

I'm sure the Huma rebuild kit is based on proven results. I don't know specifically where the silicone is used in that application, but I wouldn't hesitate to use it as directed by Huma.

A well-known airgun Smith here on the East Coast told me that he wouldn’t say that he recommended it but also at the same time said it wasn’t a bad idea. When you buy a brand new gun, how do you even know if they properly lubed the O-rings when they assembled it? I usually put just a couple drops around every eight fills.

Probably the best response of the bunch. No one knows for sure, IMO, whether it might help or not, or even whether it might cause damage. It certainly seems that SOME will probably get into the reservoir for ANYONE who wipes a bit of silicone on probe o-rings. What I occasionally do is just wipe a bit more on when lubing those o-rings. I don't think BigRagu was talking about filling the reservoir half way with silicone.

B58B531F-5894-4CDC-A0CE-9163ACA8576F.1629941940.jpeg

A drop on the fill probe will likely never get where you are wanting it to go, unless it's running out of the gun everywhere else by then. It will do more harm than good, especially if it loosens up any assembly lube that may have been in the gun and turns it to a sticky goop. 

The gun doesn't need lubed in valve stem area. That's why the valve body is almost always brass/bronze/aluminum. 

Also, silicone is a worthless lube for metal to metal parts. About as good as water. 

And the orings don't need lubed either. They aren't moving, except maybe a tiny amount on the regulator piston. The only reason they sometimes get lubed on assembly is to help with installation and prevent nicking. 

I think this is one of those things regarding which most of us don't have the technical knowledge to make an informed decision. I know, from other activities, that silicone is a specialized substance designed for rubber lubrication, and is nearly worthless on metal (as a lube). From my general knowledge of PCP operating systems, it seems that this practice would likely do little good, or harm. I believe that too much of it could cause problems. Since I don't trust myself to get it right, I think my lesser risk is to avoid it.

First of, Im not an expert or in any way have knowledge more then the avarage, this is only my own thinking and reaction to this subject.

I know the subject from beginning was if its good to put oil when refilling so it should/could spread to other parts inside the pcp, to this I have no answer or knowledge at all, so better not say anything.

Here´s my input FWIW when it comes in general of putting oil/lube on orings and getting small amount on metal surfaces:

There is probably no need for big amount of oil/lube in orings in bottles/tubes, but bone dry on the oring, well, a tiny tiny piece of lube on the oring inside the bottle and keep the threads relatively dry that is not going to hurt anything. Ive never seen an FX bottle or Tube with any oring complete dry from factory. If it would be completely dangerous to add tiny lube on a specific oring, Im sure that would be mentioned. Specially for those who DONT uncrew the bottle daily, like me, I leave the bottle on the gun until I have a leak, then I unscrew it. BUT if you anscrew the bottle daily, well thats maybee another discussion, then I would probably be sure the threads are dry.

The most important thing, keep parts clean, if you want to put a tiny amount of oil/lube on any oring and put the gun together, Im sure it wont be wrong.

Keeping all my orings bone dry, sounds strange to me

I've been putting a couple drops of silicone oil in the fill probe hose end every 5-10 fills, it keeps the fill valve O-ring in good shape and the probe O-rings, I've been doing this to all my guns since 2014, no more bad valve seals and never had any other O-ring related problems with the guns and no problems with any other internal systems, just don't over do it, too much is not good.....