Curious, how much more would you pay

I prefere the bolt action on Daystates Huntsman Regal over the Wolverine side lever all day long. I
have both. The bolt action is well designed strong and surprisingly fast...I have two and want one in
22 also...nothing against side levers but I love the Regals bolt better...guess that's just me. As much as these upper end airguns cost what's a few more bucks...I should have bought another Regal instead of my Wolverine so increased cost for side lever didn't matter to me.

Reactions: boscoebrea
-Sidelever for guns that need very heavy hammer springs. Maybe even for slug shooters with really tight fitting slugs as well.
-Bolt actions for guns that do not need or have heavy hammer springs.

Over-all with the advancement of valve technology (Valves that reduce the force needed to operate) bolt action all the way, less moving parts, no real concerns of breakage.

I will say side levers when closed have a better aesthetic look.

I'll also say, the Huben's or the like need neither! So there's those to consider as well.

-Matt

I have two Huntsmans, both left hand bolt action. Great rifles, perfect as is. Very easy to cycle quickly.

Spent my early days in the Seventh Fleet. Haze grey and underway was the motto. Used to hit 14 countries a year. The stories I could tell you would curl your hair. Amazed I made it to thirty.
two Huntsmans, both left hand bolt action. ENVY !

I have a bolt action and a side lever and they both can get stiff depending upon the hammer spring setting and the hammer spring. Because of this stiffness, I see no real advantage of one over the other (I’m not much of a benchrest shooter). To stay on target after missing in the field, the easiest action I’ve found that helps me is the ambidextrous one on an EDgun R5M. I prefer a lever sometimes. The bolts that I don’t like are the bolts located on the end of the breech block like on a Prod. For me that’s just awkward to reach way back there to cock the gun. BUT if I can make a kill shot with the first shot it doesn’t really matter unless I’m in a target rich environment with little time between shots. To your question @boscoebrea I don’t want to have to pay extra for a side lever.

Last edited:
If I have a choice, I would choose the side lever over a bolt action every time. Given that the lever action is ergonomically located so that I can use it without losing my sight picture. I have an Akela which does NOT do that, but I still prefer the side lever. Bolt actions always cause me to lose my sight picture when I have to cock the gun.

Of course, to each their own, but in my limited experience, a side lever beats a bolt action every time. Even when not located ergonomically well.

Heck, I would buy a Marauder if they offered it with a side lever at the same price, but that, apparently, will never happen. (shrug)

All my best!

Kerry

Last edited:
I had an EdGun R5 .30 Super Long a few years back and the bolt action got old really quickly. Even with rear placement like the Taipan Vet I'd still take a side lever any day. Mechanical advantage is a great thing.
@ctshooter That one was made with the bolt at the rear of the breech block (like the Prod), correct?

I like both. I'll take a nice, slick bolt action over a so-so side lever. Likewise, a super nice side lever is definitely going to be nicer than a so-so bolt. I happen to have both a very nice side lever and a so-so bolt action. I've learned to be efficient with the bolt action, so it isn't a problem. And it is set up for an entirely different type of shooting than my side lever gun.

I find that it seems to depend on the brand. With my Brococks it doesn't matter much but it does price wise if buying used. With my AEAs big difference and I prefer the side lever. I would say the hammer spring maked the bigest difference. I have three Senecas and really dislike cocking them now that I'm getting to be an old gesser. I do enjoy just looking at them sometimes though, they are awful pretty LOL.

Reactions: maxtrouble
To answer your question, how about $100 extra? How about $200 extra? If it makes the difference between being able to do what you love and not, it's worth whatever it takes.

My wife can't cock a bolt action more than a dozen or so times before it hurts her finger and this old guy who used to rip phone books in half across the bindings in his 20's now uses a letter opener to open mail!

How much extra a sidelever is worth depends on how badly a person needs it.