• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Crushin' Prairie Dogs

Took a short trip NW last weekend to pop some prairie dogs. Used my MKII .25 impact with Nielsen 29gr slugs, and .22 MKIII Wildcat Sniper shooting Nielsen 20.2gr slugs. Shots between 35-120yrds.

PXL_20230609_231635893.MP.jpg

PXL_20230610_154714123.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL.jpg

PXL_20230610_154735085.PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL_20230609_190518841.MP.jpg

PXL_20230610_000102558.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL.jpg

PXL_20230610_171926954.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL.jpg

Yeah…Why? inquiring minds want to know why you would gather potentially plague infested flea carrying varmints and put them in a cooler?
Don’t the coyotes and hawks need a meal?
I'm a Falconer. I mainly do airguns in the off season since I don't fly/hunt my birds during time between late spring and early fall. I use them as food for my hawks in the off season so I don't have to buy food. I make sure to get anything that lead/lead fragments may have touched and discard it, (it's why I strive for head shots) and the rest is food for my hawks.

Cooler? You going to eat them?
I'm a Falconer. I mainly do airguns in the off season since I don't fly/hunt my birds during time between late spring and early fall. I use them as food for my hawks in the off season so I don't have to buy food. I make sure to get anything that lead/lead fragments may have touched and discard it, (it's why I strive for head shots) and the rest is food for my hawks.

Great fun!

I hadn't shot at PD's in a decade but got an opportunity last week.

Got over 30 of them from 45y to 167y using NSA 29GR 25 CAL in my Uragan King.
Those 29grs seem to group really well for me in my impact with a superior liner. I tried a bunch of other weights and brands and none really came close to these.

Those 29grs seem to group really well for me in my impact with a superior liner. I tried a bunch of other weights and brands and none really came close to these.

I think the CG is about optimal on these and the bearing surface is short so leading isn't such a problem.
Also the hollow point helps for hunting. Not great expansion but they get the job done.
BC is low-ish but the wind wasn't bad either.
I'd use them again.

I think the CG is about optimal on these and the bearing surface is short so leading isn't such a problem.
Also the hollow point helps for hunting. Not great expansion but they get the job done.
BC is low-ish but the wind wasn't bad either.
I'd use them again.
I found them to expand a lot better for me than the hyrbrids. The hybrids were really accurate for me but expansion was absolute trash.

@kapok6 thats an unexpected answer but a great way to feed those birds.
Thanks for the explanation.
Keep up the good work.
I was culling the indigenous prairie dog population on the ranch today but the range was 150yds+ using powder burners, the hawks were circling before we left.

I have a .22lr I built that is a ton of fun and accurate but I don't use it for anything I am feeding my hawks. Powder burners have more energy, causing the projectiles to fragment to a far greater extent than air rifles at half the energy. Raptors are highly susceptible to lead poisoning. A few milligrams of lead will kill a hawk, so for me personally, I don't even risk using a powder burner for anything I intend to feed to my hawks. I really look forward to the day where accurate lead free slugs are available.