• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Crown vs RAW HM1000X LRT

I have both. Big Fx fanboy, have Fx crown .30 , 400 .177 and Tarantula 22. The crown is a very nice and accurate gun. Well made lite and have a nice trigger. The Raw is a cut above in quality and workmanship. Small things like the 3 piece probe that require no oring in barrel the Torrance is so close. The trigger is top shelf and a work of art. The Crown will hang to 100 yds then the Raw will eat its lunch. Close but lunch gone. Martin assemble and test each Raw before shipping. I could be very happy with either. The Raw would be the last one to go. Buy what you can afford and be happy.

20220721_090533.jpg

20220721_090506.jpg

20230322_125156.jpg

I have a FX Crown Continuum in .22. I have not spent much time shooting it as of this time. Haven’t even tried the 700mm barrel yet. I mouned a Aztec Emerald and sighted it in and am quite happy with the results so far, maybe 200 rounds through it. JSB 18.13’s so far work pretty good, I’ve only shot out to 50 yards. Don’t really have much desire to shoot past that but do see myself trying 100 yards for the heck of it probably next spring. I like shooting tiny targets out to fifty at present.
Anyway, I’ve got the itch to buy something, don’t know why, and the RAW HM1000X LRT with no moderator, see photo.
My question, will I be gaining anything by buying the RAW or do I already have something fully capable compared to the HM1000X LRT ?
Randy

View attachment 301394
Sometimes ergonomics is the most important thing

Reactions: joelayfield
I bought the Crown Continuum in .25 as my first PCP. I ended up buying a 380mm .22 liner and probe and a .177 600mm barrel kit and probe. I also bought another 700mm heavy slug liner in .25 Since buying a .22 Daystate and a .177 BSA R10, I have lost momentum in changing my Crown from .25. I now am going to install the 700mm heavy slug barrel and see what this puppy will do at distance. As for .30 cal I just acquired an Evol Paradigm. I really like the Crown. Beautiful gun. Relatively light weight and extremely accurate. When I shoot it, I expect to stack pellets if I do my part. Very easy to shoot accurately.

FWIW I shoot mainly bench at home 50-130 yards.
I have an FX Impact M3 .22 cal. Great rifle! I was hoping to buy a more accurate 100 yard rifle and purchased a new RAW with their moderator in .22 cal. Most people love them, but I tried for 2-weeks to get groups with zero luck. I sent it back and was afraid to exchange it for the same rifle ( thinking I might have gotten one with a bad barrel, it chrony'ed ok but no groups even at 50 yards).
Recently I bought a new Crown MK2 600 .22cal and this is proving to be a very accurate shooter.

I shoot exclusively offhand in competitive metallic silhouette out to 45 yards. I presently use a MK1 FX Crown in .177 (since 2018) and wish to purchase a new rifle in .22; again exclusively for offhand competitive shooting. I am seriously considering a RAW HM1000X LRT rather than another Crown, because I find that the Crown's trigger is rather "agricultural" and heavy compared to the triggers on some of my competitors rifles, e.g. Steyr. I have worked on the Crown's trigger many times over the 5 years I have owned it, but I still find it unsatisfactory and heavy.

I know that the triggers on the RAW HM1000X are exceptional and far superior to any FX trigger, including the one on my Impact M3.

Question (1): How comfortable and ergonomic is the RAW HM1000X LRT for offhand shooting? Is it too heavy for offhand? Would it be as good as a new MKII Crown with respect to balance and ergonomics for offhand shooting?

Question (2): I understand the RAW in .22 is factory calibrated for 25.39gr pellets, and I want to use JSB 18.13gr pellets. How does one detune the RAW's velocity to accommodate the lighter pellets and will it still be extremely accurate?

Any advice will be appreciated.

Matt

Wow, kinda surprised by that. All three of my FX’s have awesome triggers. It’s possible though that my awesome trigger sense is poor. I by no means am a benchrest shooter per se, and maybe Crowns should have a better trigger but until I experience something better I think it’s awesome, for me that is.
I've owned 6 RAWS and 7 FXs. The RAW trigger is BY FAR the best. Try adjusting your FX trigger down to 2 oz. The FX triggers are ok, but not great. It's a cheap, fragile design in comparison, IMO.

I shoot exclusively offhand in competitive metallic silhouette out to 45 yards. I presently use a MK1 FX Crown in .177 (since 2018) and wish to purchase a new rifle in .22; again exclusively for offhand competitive shooting. I am seriously considering a RAW HM1000X LRT rather than another Crown, because I find that the Crown's trigger is rather "agricultural" and heavy compared to the triggers on some of my competitors rifles, e.g. Steyr. I have worked on the Crown's trigger many times over the 5 years I have owned it, but I still find it unsatisfactory and heavy.

I know that the triggers on the RAW HM1000X are exceptional and far superior to any FX trigger, including the one on my Impact M3.

Question (1): How comfortable and ergonomic is the RAW HM1000X LRT for offhand shooting? Is it too heavy for offhand? Would it be as good as a new MKII Crown with respect to balance and ergonomics for offhand shooting?

Question (2): I understand the RAW in .22 is factory calibrated for 25.39gr pellets, and I want to use JSB 18.13gr pellets. How does one detune the RAW's velocity to accommodate the lighter pellets and will it still be extremely accurate?

Matt
While I prefer RAWs for my style of shooting, the LRT stock is more of a benchrest type and is pretty heavy for offhand shooting. If you can choose anothe stock, it would be better. As far as tuning? Order your RAW from www.airguns-usa.com and request the rifle be tuned for 18,1 gr pellets. Martin will be happy to help you.

Reactions: Ranchibi

Matt
It’s plenty comfortable, but it’s a rather long heavy gun.

One of the main reason I have a chassis stock and short barrel on mine is to dump weight

Reactions: Ranchibi
Hi Everyone

Many thanks for your thoughts and suggestions - all worthwhile. Hope to procure a new rifle in the new year for offhand silhouette shooting. To JPS: unfortunately I cannot request Martin or the factory to make a special tune for me as I live in Australia.

Also weighing the pros and cons of either a Daystate Red Wolf (very, very expensive) or a Daystate Wolverine; the 30ft/lb Wolverine would be a special order from England, but the local importer is happy to place such an order for me. I am limited to 30ft/lbs as some competitions I go to limit the output to 32 ft/lbs.

The other criteria for me is that the rifle must be able to shoot at least 80-90 JSB 18.13gr pellets before requiring a refill of air. I am well past lifting a 20Kg scuba tank in and out of the car; also I am not a fan of portable home compressors because I am not convinced that they can supply very dry air as I live in a hot and humid climate. I get my 2 scuba bottles filled at a diving shop with very clean and dry air.

At this stage it appears that I may have to seriously consider another FX Crown in .22 (I already use a .177 I use for the silhouette competitions) - it fills all my criteria, except that of an an exceptionally good and very light trigger.

I would be over the moon if someone, somewhere, manufactured an after market trigger for the Crown and other FX air rifles. Any engineers willing to give it a go?

Thanks
Matt