• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Crown vs maverick vs ?

I've been tempted to sell one and get a Wildcat BT. I would get an Impact, but I like having options and I like the Maverick/Wildcat BT setups. I guess I like the Crowns for the stocks. I don't think you'll go wrong. I will say this though in all my Slug testing the Mavericks will shoot just about any slug well that I have tested, whereas the Crowns are more selective in what they like. If you have slugs in mind and heavy slugs, I would pic the Maverick. Although they have a slug power kit out for the Crowns now. I have one, but haven't installed it yet.
This was extremely helpful! Pigeons account for 80% of my pest problems. I think I’ll be happen with either platform but if I go with the crown it sounds like shorter barrel would be more useable for hunting.
I’m completely new to slugs. With that said, how does the crown do with slugs? I know people talk about the maverick being more powerful and better with slugs.
Adam,
Know Rosamond CA well. Raced motorcycles there for many years in the 70's (y)

I have, and have had, most of what you are seeking...

@Jlowe has great advice here...

Your question here with any of the FX platforms being "one better than the other" in one caliber or platform, I believe, is a non-concern. All share the same interchangeable calibers and barrel lengths. No worries about consistency or quality. Take your pick.
You stated that your main problem to tackle is "Pigeons account for 80% of my pest problems"
I would propose ANY of the suggested models in the Compact or BT configuration as a solution. Good for close in, low power, and, medium high power game.
Your shouldering and personnel style profile will determine which of these FX models suite you best. Each are excellent in many ways.

Patrick

So I just got a crown mkii in .25. My first high end pcp that I have owned, brother in law has a mav and my buddy has an m3. We took them out Friday and shot for about 3 hours. Target and hunting (birds and squirrels)

About 30 mins into the shoot, my buddies m3 sprung a leak. Can’t remember exactly but wasn’t holding air between tank and plenum. So he was watching the rest of the trip.

My brother in law and I were going at it. 2 hours of shots from 45-120 yards. Pigeons, squirrels and other pests. I’m shooting 26gr slugs and he’s shooting 33gr. Same tank size.

End of the day, I filled 1 time while he filled 2. Maverick is pretty heavy so he has to stop shouldering a few times to rest. My crown is light. I can hold it all day long and be fine.

We switched guns a few times throughout the hunt and at the end of the day he placed an order for a crown. That has to say something right?

Reactions: Hondajunkie01
Owned Mav .25 unfortunately got worst of the bunch as it suffered from ongoing strings of leaks and barrel very prone to POI shifts. Bit of ping in ear with the hammer right there. Comes with bullpups. Easy to tune and shoots lights but issues put me off. Complete reseal and sold. No bashing, obviously many have great experiences with this rifle. For me, worst rifle i ever owned, almost put me off pcp's for good.

Reactions: Hondajunkie01
What size barrel do you have for the crown? The short barrel with a Donnyfl seems like it would be a decent hunting setup. I have seen a few people talk about the maverick noise and I think it could be something that would bother me. I even dislike the action sound of an AR lol
I have a 600 barrel for bench duties or slug shooting, and a 380 barrel (which I use most), for farms and woods walking.
I really enjoy the simplistic nature and ease of tuning the crown gives me. After owning impacts, mavericks, wildcats etc….the crown is just plain easy. Super accurate, super comfortable, and its traditional style is beautiful. If I should like a crown fanboy, I AM. lol

The Crown was fun in .22 up to 30 grains, but I moved on to the Maverick at the end of 2020. It's more powerful and durable. The K&L chassis males it solid for field use and it also adds the rigidity needed for maximizing precision when shooting at high power.

The drawback is the small valve. I run the new FX pistons at 195-200bar when shooting slugs and at 150bar when shooting 50.15 JSBs. I can get it up to 140FPE in .30, but right now I'm stuck shooting 40gr RBT in .22 at 957 (1FPS SD / 13 shots though).

I have an older 22 cal MKI crown with a 380mm barrel named Headbanger. My favorite hunting rifle so far. In a close second is Buster my 22 cal BRK ghost carbine. I mainly shoot doves, pigeons, and ground squirrels with these rifles. Both love the JSB 18's right at 880 FPS. Headbanger will shoot the H&N slugs with a turn of the transfer port wheel, but the 18's shoot so nice I don't switch over to slugs very often.

The crown gives me 4 mags which is about 72 shots before I refill and the Ghost is about 40 shots. Both rifles have taken doves out to 100 yards.

I did have a Maverick in 22, but I just didn't like it. No idea why I just didn't "meld" with the rifle. When I pick up Headbanger it just feels right.

If interested in a crown I would look at a MKII because it has a bigger valve and the barrel attachment is more robust than the MKI.

Buster on the left and Headbanger on the right.

Tony P.

IMG_7202.JPG

I've been tempted to sell one and get a Wildcat BT. I would get an Impact, but I like having options and I like the Maverick/Wildcat BT setups. I guess I like the Crowns for the stocks. I don't think you'll go wrong. I will say this though in all my Slug testing the Mavericks will shoot just about any slug well that I have tested, whereas the Crowns are more selective in what they like. If you have slugs in mind and heavy slugs, I would pic the Maverick. Although they have a slug power kit out for the Crowns now. I have one, but haven't installed it yet.
That is good to know about the plugs! I think it would definitely end up playing with slugs but pellets will be more than enough for my local pest.

Had the Maverick, sold it and got 2 Crown's because the Maverick like many airguns have the dam mag under your ear, never again will I own a gun with the action designed where the mag is in the back of the trigger
That is a solid point! I also think the mechanics of the maverick to feel unnatural for people that come from traditional rifles.

Reactions: Goldwing
The Crown was fun in .22 up to 30 grains, but I moved on to the Maverick at the end of 2020. It's more powerful and durable. The K&L chassis males it solid for field use and it also adds the rigidity needed for maximizing precision when shooting at high power.

The drawback is the small valve. I run the new FX pistons at 195-200bar when shooting slugs and at 150bar when shooting 50.15 JSBs. I can get it up to 140FPE in .30, but right now I'm stuck shooting 40gr RBT in .22 at 957 (1FPS SD / 13 shots though).
So it seems like most people move to the maverick platform when they want more power. Did you need the extra FPE for hunting or it just the nature urge for more power ?

I have an older 22 cal MKI crown with a 380mm barrel named Headbanger. My favorite hunting rifle so far. In a close second is Buster my 22 cal BRK ghost carbine. I mainly shoot doves, pigeons, and ground squirrels with these rifles. Both love the JSB 18's right at 880 FPS. Headbanger will shoot the H&N slugs with a turn of the transfer port wheel, but the 18's shoot so nice I don't switch over to slugs very often.

The crown gives me 4 mags which is about 72 shots before I refill and the Ghost is about 40 shots. Both rifles have taken doves out to 100 yards.

I did have a Maverick in 22, but I just didn't like it. No idea why I just didn't "meld" with the rifle. When I pick up Headbanger it just feels right.

If interested in a crown I would look at a MKII because it has a bigger valve and the barrel attachment is more robust than the MKI.

Buster on the left and Headbanger on the right.

Tony P.

View attachment 330082
That is an impressive picture sir! I think I’m with you. I don’t know how often I will need extreme power or even slugs for that matter. My local pest are pigeons, squirrels. I have yotes also but I normally use a 223 or 243 on them

• Wow
Reactions: Firewalker
Adam,
Know Rosamond CA well. Raced motorcycles there for many years in the 70's (y)

I have, and have had, most of what you are seeking...

@Jlowe has great advice here...

Your question here with any of the FX platforms being "one better than the other" in one caliber or platform, I believe, is a non-concern. All share the same interchangeable calibers and barrel lengths. No worries about consistency or quality. Take your pick.
You stated that your main problem to tackle is "Pigeons account for 80% of my pest problems"
I would propose ANY of the suggested models in the Compact or BT configuration as a solution. Good for close in, low power, and, medium high power game.
Your shouldering and personnel style profile will determine which of these FX models suite you best. Each are excellent in many ways.

Patrick
Rosamond is either known for off-road or the racetrack.

I think the biggest problem is overthinking this purchase. It seems like everyone loves their FX and it’s really personal preference. At this point I believe the crown will be an amazing purchase and if I ever need more power I’ll look at other platforms.

So I just got a crown mkii in .25. My first high end pcp that I have owned, brother in law has a mav and my buddy has an m3. We took them out Friday and shot for about 3 hours. Target and hunting (birds and squirrels)

About 30 mins into the shoot, my buddies m3 sprung a leak. Can’t remember exactly but wasn’t holding air between tank and plenum. So he was watching the rest of the trip.

My brother in law and I were going at it. 2 hours of shots from 45-120 yards. Pigeons, squirrels and other pests. I’m shooting 26gr slugs and he’s shooting 33gr. Same tank size.

End of the day, I filled 1 time while he filled 2. Maverick is pretty heavy so he has to stop shouldering a few times to rest. My crown is light. I can hold it all day long and be fine.

We switched guns a few times throughout the hunt and at the end of the day he placed an order for a crown. That has to say something right?
This is just what I was looking for. It really seems like the crown might be the right gun for me currently! I appreciate it!

Reactions: madeintheuk
I have a 600 barrel for bench duties or slug shooting, and a 380 barrel (which I use most), for farms and woods walking.
I really enjoy the simplistic nature and ease of tuning the crown gives me. After owning impacts, mavericks, wildcats etc….the crown is just plain easy. Super accurate, super comfortable, and its traditional style is beautiful. If I should like a crown fanboy, I AM. lol
Seems like most people enjoy the crown 380 for hunting. I appreciate all your help and I’m going to order the crown tonight lol!

So it seems like most people move to the maverick platform when they want more power. Did you need the extra FPE for hunting or it just the nature urge for more power ?
Funny story, I started that way. Went for more power and bigger calibers. Ended up back at mid range power shooting mostly 22. I do have 25, but even those are mid range for power. I don’t need crazy power for what I use, and the more power you push, the more hold sensitive the gun becomes. i Get better accuracy from my low and mid power guns, and that’s going to trump power any day of the week.
if you have 100fpe, but can’t hit the broad side of a barn door, is it worth it?

This is just what I was looking for. It really seems like the crown might be the right gun for me currently! I appreciate it!
Ya man, @madeintheuk made me choose the crown also, and after the dust settles I am happy as fook with it. You won’t be disappointed! And if you want to save a few bucks, Utah airguns has the VP model refurbished for cheap