• The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Crown vs maverick vs ?

Hello all,

I have been a powder burner for years but recently got Introduced to pcp guns. I bought a hatsan flash qe .25 and it was a fun starter pcp but lacked build quality and accuracy. It’s now time to get something a little nicer and really jump head first into this pcp thing. The two guns that keep catching my eye are the fx crown and maverick. Both have amazing reviews but ultimately seem to serve a different purpose. My goal is pest and vermin control along with muscle memory practice for powder session. What are you experiences and stories about these two rifles along with perfected calibers. Also, is there any other guns in that price point you might recommend and what compressors do you prefer using. I currently use a hand pump but that has to change asap lol!

I appreciate all the help and look forward to getting more involved in this community!

I will always choose the crown. Mostly because I like a traditional rifle style, but very easy to tune, and very easy to shoulder and shoot. Great trigger, and decent power. If you want the most powder, the maverick will suit you better, but the crown does what it does very well!

I have both and in 25. So comparison is all about the form of the gun.
If you are looking for something to correlate with a PB, go with the Crown. If you find the standard rifle platform more comfortable, go with the Crown.
I believe that the trigger is slightly better on the Crown.
Between the Maverick and the Crown I will take the Maverick as a hunter every time the decision comes up. It is shorter, handles faster and can generate more power in a bone stock configuration.
I bought my Crown with the intention to shoot slugs out of it and it does a great job. But I went with the 600mm barrel and it makes for a long weapon to work around in brush and around corrals and such. My Maverick is a Compact but even if it were a 600mm barrel it would far easier to tote around obstacles and such. That is the advantage of a bull pup.
Both are very accurate and shooting pellets the Maverick gives no ground to the Crown off a bench.
Tough choice. That is why I have both.

I have 2 of each. I guess if I could pick one I would pick the Maverick as it has more power. For the price point, the Maverick is hard to beat, especially at 85 foot pounds in 25cal Sniper configuration. I love the Crown, on the other hand and have one in 22 and one in 25cal. lol
Here are a few pics.

IMG_1601.jpeg

IMG_1478.jpeg

I will always choose the crown. Mostly because I like a traditional rifle style, but very easy to tune, and very easy to shoulder and shoot. Great trigger, and decent power. If you want the most powder, the maverick will suit you better, but the crown does what it does very well!
Have you had the opportunity to try out both platforms?

I have both and in 25. So comparison is all about the form of the gun.
If you are looking for something to correlate with a PB, go with the Crown. If you find the standard rifle platform more comfortable, go with the Crown.
I believe that the trigger is slightly better on the Crown.
Between the Maverick and the Crown I will take the Maverick as a hunter every time the decision comes up. It is shorter, handles faster and can generate more power in a bone stock configuration.
I bought my Crown with the intention to shoot slugs out of it and it does a great job. But I went with the 600mm barrel and it makes for a long weapon to work around in brush and around corrals and such. My Maverick is a Compact but even if it were a 600mm barrel it would far easier to tote around obstacles and such. That is the advantage of a bull pup.
Both are very accurate and shooting pellets the Maverick gives no ground to the Crown off a bench.
Tough choice. That is why I have both.
It seems like most people end up with both platforms. If you don’t mind me asking, what do you generally hunt for with your maverick? Also, do you just use the crown for bench shooting ?

I have 2 of each. I guess if I could pick one I would pick the Maverick as it has more power. For the price point, the Maverick is hard to beat, especially at 85 foot pounds in 25cal Sniper configuration. I love the Crown, on the other hand and have one in 22 and one in 25cal. lol
Here are a few pics.

View attachment 330009
View attachment 330012
It seems like most people prefer the maverick but also enjoy owning a crown. Are you mainly a target shooter or do you hunt with them also?

Have you had the opportunity to try out both platforms?
I had both. I kept the crown. The maverick was nice, but I didn’t need the power, and the crown shouldered better. There’s also the hammer noise right in your ear that annoys some. Myself included.

Reactions: Hondajunkie01
I had both. I kept the crown. The maverick was nice, but I didn’t need the power, and the crown shouldered better. There’s also the hammer noise right in your ear that annoys some. Myself included.
What size barrel do you have for the crown? The short barrel with a Donnyfl seems like it would be a decent hunting setup. I have seen a few people talk about the maverick noise and I think it could be something that would bother me. I even dislike the action sound of an AR lol

It seems like most people end up with both platforms. If you don’t mind me asking, what do you generally hunt for with your maverick? Also, do you just use the crown for bench shooting ?
I am a bench shooter only when I am tuning and sighting in.
The Maverick is my walk around, stalking and truck gun. It is my go to gun for pigeons and other birds. Off a bench it will shoot right with my Crown for group sizes with 25.39’s. The 500mm barrel in a bull pup keeps the package very short. i keep my shots with the Maverick within 60-70 yards so I took my original 6x25x50 scope off and replaced it with a US Optics compact 4x16x44 (?) scope. It is a hard gun to beat for stalking and a truck gun. 106 bar is giving me 45 fpe with the 25.39 pellets and I average 56 shots from the 300cc bottle.
The Crown was bought for hunting as well, I just did not comprehend how long that 600mm barrel made it. Just a pain around fences and corrals. It will see a ton of use this spring when the ground squirrels come out again. i think the 500mm barrel would have been a better choice for my situation. I believe it would still shoot the 26.5 slugs very well. Sacrifice some shot count but nothing is free.
It will most likely replace My M3 as the gun for educated pigeons. The Crown is throwing shade on my M3 every time I take it out. It is lighter and just as accurate and a much simpler gun to work with. The M3 will deliver more power, but I favor lighter slugs so do not need what the M3 delivers.

I am a bench shooter only when I am tuning and sighting in.
The Maverick is my walk around, stalking and truck gun. It is my go to gun for pigeons and other birds. Off a bench it will shoot right with my Crown for group sizes with 25.39’s. The 500mm barrel in a bull pup keeps the package very short. i keep my shots with the Maverick within 60-70 yards so I took my original 6x25x50 scope off and replaced it with a US Optics compact 4x16x44 (?) scope. It is a hard gun to beat for stalking and a truck gun. 106 bar is giving me 45 fpe with the 25.39 pellets and I average 56 shots from the 300cc bottle.
The Crown was bought for hunting as well, I just did not comprehend how long that 600mm barrel made it. Just a pain around fences and corrals. It will see a ton of use this spring when the ground squirrels come out again. i think the 500mm barrel would have been a better choice for my situation. I believe it would still shoot the 26.5 slugs very well. Sacrifice some shot count but nothing is free.
It will most likely replace My M3 as the gun for educated pigeons. The Crown is throwing shade on my M3 every time I take it out. It is lighter and just as accurate and a much simpler gun to work with. The M3 will deliver more power, but I favor lighter slugs so do not need what the M3 delivers.
This was extremely helpful! Pigeons account for 80% of my pest problems. I think I’ll be happen with either platform but if I go with the crown it sounds like shorter barrel would be more useable for hunting.
I’m completely new to slugs. With that said, how does the crown do with slugs? I know people talk about the maverick being more powerful and better with slugs.

That is a awesome looking setup! Can’t help but notice the P220 mat. Hands down one of my favorite guns to shoot.
I've been tempted to sell one and get a Wildcat BT. I would get an Impact, but I like having options and I like the Maverick/Wildcat BT setups. I guess I like the Crowns for the stocks. I don't think you'll go wrong. I will say this though in all my Slug testing the Mavericks will shoot just about any slug well that I have tested, whereas the Crowns are more selective in what they like. If you have slugs in mind and heavy slugs, I would pic the Maverick. Although they have a slug power kit out for the Crowns now. I have one, but haven't installed it yet.