• The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

FX Crown transfer port

Greetings from Idaho. I haven't posted for a while.

I have been tunning my .22 Crown II and can't get past 900 fps with Barracuda Match. I would like to shoot 25 gr pellets at 950. I have been thinking of rotating the barrel 180 degrees to bring the slug transfer port in line with the valve. Has anyone tried this?

Slugs are tempting, but I need to shoot pellets because of the rules at EBR.

Ron

Thanks guys.

@ dgeesaman, the reg is set at 140. Don't get me wrong, this rifle shoots dime size gropes at 50 to 75 yards. I am looking for better performance in crosswinds at 75 to 100 yards.

Ron

Use the slug port as others have mentioned. Just because it is called a slug port, doesn’t mean you shouldn’t use it for pellets. I would say most use the slug port. If you wan the most power from the Crown, it is the way to go. Mine always stayed on slug, whether I was shooting 18gr or 25 gr. You can adjust the power wheel and the air flow as well to help with changing speed still, without having to adjust the reg.

My Crown had the best accuracy with 25 at right around 930-940. I could shoot them on max and 18s on low, and both were phenomenal. My reg was set at 150 with the 600mm barrel.

Thanks guys.

@ dgeesaman, the reg is set at 140. Don't get me wrong, this rifle shoots dime size gropes at 50 to 75 yards. I am looking for better performance in crosswinds at 75 to 100 yards.

Ron

What speed are you shooting now? 950fps+ will perform worse than 880fps in wind. So I wouldn't count on that being the solution.

Reactions: coastal drifter
950fps+ will perform worse than 880fps in wind. So I wouldn't count on that being the solution.
Correct. More velocity doesnt equate to better wind resistance with pellets. I dont know about .22 cal pellets and if they are different than .25 for the sweet spot. With .25 cal pellets in my rifle and environment the sweet spot in velocity is 880 - 900 fps for full value wind deflection. Anything above and below that window has more wind drift.

Question, don't you have to use a different probe on the Crown? Disclaimer, I don't know diddly about the Crowns.
Different how? different than the impact? yes the crowns probe is different than the impact. Different like a pin probe? No i dont think its needed at all. If you are trying to get absolutely everything you can then its going to add a little but I dont think its needed for most tunes.

There is a pin probe that is supposed to allow more air to flow than the pellet probe. Probably only a couple of fps difference between the two. Someone may have tested them both when changing nothing but the probes to confirm.
I havnt tested that in the crown but you are probably correct in that its a small gain.

Reactions: Dairyboy
Different how? different than the impact? yes the crowns probe is different than the impact. Different like a pin probe? No i dont think its needed at all. If you are trying to get absolutely everything you can then its going to add a little but I dont think its needed for most tunes.

I havnt tested that in the crown but you are probably correct in that its a small gain.
The maverick has 3 probes that I know about, the pin probe, a slug probe with a larger square hole and the standard smaller circular pellet probe. The square slug probe works well with the pellet port and of course the slug port, less air restriction.

I ran into a problem with my Crown MK II, while trying to push slugs at higher velocities. The front dial marked High / Medium / Low worked loose and the internal ports were out of alignment. High on the dial was not the maximum port opening. This limited the power and speed obtainable. I took it apart and re-aligned the ports and dial to fix the problem. If you are not getting the velocities expected for the reg pressure and hammer spring settings, this might be your problem.

Some users have reported a 40, 50, even 70 FPS increase, by simply using the V2 version of the Huma-Air transfer port.

huma.jpg

Reactions: tibor
Be happy it has the old transferport. The new FX rifles come with a transferport and barrel attachment in 1 piece. A clever solution done from FX so its more expensive so replace it.

Also the Huma transferport has a "bigger" port vs the FX one.

Look at the picture below, this is .22 cal.

1716744359342.png

I have installed on all my FX airguns a Huma Transferport