Crown second thoughts

Now that I have had my Crown for about six months, I’m having some thoughts of selling/trading it for something a little different. The gun is accurate, consistent, and reliable. The stock and machine work is pretty nice. When it comes to heading up the creek to do a little hunting, I have second thoughts and leave it home while the Condor goes hunting. It just seems to be a little light in the durability department. A little more compact rifle would fit my situation a little better also

So, I would like to hear from some of you that own and hunt with a couple of different guns that I’ve been looking at to replace the Crown with.

Taipan Veteran long in .22

Vulcan 2 in .22

I'd like to hear about shot count, consistency, accuracy, and reliability.

Thanks.

I am the recent purchaser of a Crown. I would not hesitate to hunt with it, but it is probably not my first choice. I have a Daystate Regal in .22, Huma regulated, and totally reliable and accurate. it is kind my go-to hunting rifle, mainly because it handles so much similar to my rimfire rifles, very traditional. Not sure of the shot count, but I think something in the 45-50 range. 

Rich, I have just spent some time with the Taipan.22, a Vulcan mini carbine.25 and a Cricket mini carbine.22 and an Edgun R5m.22 .

The Taipan and Edgun were both short bullpups and the Vulcan and Cricket are both carbines. I have a Streamline and Brocock Bantam. I found the Taipan and Edgun were both quality throughout but too heavy and not a natural fit for my desire of a natural swing and shoulder mount. The Vulcan and Cricket both matched the quality of the first two guns but the carbine length was a winner for fit and handling. The Vulcan was a little heavier but very beautiful. I sold my Streamline and kept the Cricket, although the Vulcan is soooo nice but weight is an issue with me. The Cricket is almost exactly the same length and handling as the.177 Brocock Bantam . Both are super shooters one in .177 and the other in .22

My age (76) makes me very aware of good fast handling and easy carry. The Streamline when loaded with a scope became awkward for walking and stalking. Stationary it was a superb shooter. Hope some of this helps add a little perspective. Keep us posted. Nick

Now that I have had my Crown for about six months, I’m having some thoughts of selling/trading it for something a little different. The gun is accurate, consistent, and reliable. The stock and machine work is pretty nice. When it comes to heading up the creek to do a little hunting, I have second thoughts and leave it home while the Condor goes hunting. It just seems to be a little light in the durability department. A little more compact rifle would fit my situation a little better also

So, I would like to hear from some of you that own and hunt with a couple of different guns that I’ve been looking at to replace the Crown with.

Taipan Veteran long in .22

Vulcan 2 in .22

I'd like to hear about shot count, consistency, accuracy, and reliability.

Thanks.

I can only comment on the aspect of taking a "nice" rifle hunting. I bought a walnut stock Crown and of course it's beautiful right out of its case. But to me, even were I to refinish the stock and make it a jewel, it's still a tool (oh my! that rhymed nicely! :) )

It's really up to the user as to what they want to do with an air rifle that's inherently "pretty"...Its all how the owner perceives the basic function of the air rifle. For me once I have mine fully modified and all the pellet & slug tunings done it's going from bench to bushes (and there's some aliteration for you!)

I will say that its pretty hard to resist the beauty and craftsmanship of a piece, buy one and then decide to take it into harms way. I'm sure you'll sort it out and good luck!

George 

I cant speak for the Vulcan but the Taipan Veteran is a no muss no fuss right out of the box ! It's a little heavy but all you need is a scope and adjust the hammer spring to your preferred setting and your smiling...

The Cricket carbine is another great choice if you like a more traditional style rifle. I have the .25 and it's a hunting machine...

James from Michigan, 

I had s similar experience. I have a black pepper Crown that I love deeply, but am scared to death of ruining the stock while hunting. Rather than part with it I decided to save my money and buy an Impact. Best thing I have done. Now I have 2 of the best airguns made, and am extremely happy at the range with my Crown and the Impact for hunting.

Rich I have had quite a bit of experience recently with some of the new FX Wildcat MKII Compacts and one of the Warcat versions of it, and I can wholeheartedly recommend it to you for a lightweight carry rifle. I am extremely impressed with them and would love to have one to go with my Wildcat MKI and my new Wildcat .30 that's on the way. The Wildcat Compacts shoulder and point so naturally because they are just perfectly balanced, and I believe the accuracy will impress you also. I have handled most of the other airguns mentioned above, and for the price, woods carry ability, and accuracy the Wildcat Compact would be my choice all day long. Here is a nifty little scope you might consider putting on it if you buy one... https://www.bushnell.com/Products/Red-Dots/AR-Optics/Accellerate-Prism-Sight/?sku=AR750010. Don't be fooled by its size because I can hit shotgun hulls at 120 yards with one on my Wildcat with ease. Its great because the trajectory on the rifle allows you to just point and shoot out to about 60 yards without worrying about using holdovers or dialing in a firing solution. And the black reticle is unbelievable when illuminated in red or green! Here is what the reticle looks like in red... and it is in Mils!

1545454889_4568921675c1dc5296f16a4.26551444_BUSHNELL PRISM SIGHT.png

After having the Crown and looking it over and handling it, I think that FX should’ve marketed it as more of a target rifle. It’s probably more the lack of rigidity in the barrel system that worries me than skinning up the stock. If the barrel sleeve was to get bent or took a hard enough torque to break it, you’d be out a pretty good chunk of change. I know my Condor will take a pretty good beating and still shoot straight and not break the barrel sleeve off. Just my thoughts. 

After having the Crown and looking it over and handling it, I think that FX should’ve marketed it as more of a target rifle. It’s probably more the lack of rigidity in the barrel system that worries me than skinning up the stock. If the barrel sleeve was to get bent or took a hard enough torque to break it, you’d be out a pretty good chunk of change. I know my Condor will take a pretty good beating and still shoot straight and not break the barrel sleeve off. Just my thoughts.

I enjoy shooting the Crown, it's a fun and versatile rifle, but not a match rifle, and for the some of the reasons you mentioned. A loosely sleeved barrel liner, surrounded by a movable shroud, and perhaps with a moderator added, it's just too many places for error to rob precision accuracy. I don't think you will see Crown's, as built, winning any high level competitions. That's not a slam on the rifle, it's plenty accurate for casual targets and short range hunting. But it's attraction is its versatility, for which there is always a price to pay. 

Did the Crown take 1st at EBR a couple years ago?

Unless that's not the kind of shooting competition you're talking about.

It might have Bob. But if you look at the match reports of top level FT and BR competition, on average, the winners are single shot, plain barrel rifles. Simple is always better. Of course, we're talking about a difference that matters only at that level. If you are 5% better, that's not much. But, if you're 5% better 100% of the time, you win every match.

I agree that there are rifles designed for the ultimate in accuracy, which would be better than anything most of shoot, including the Crown.

But for most of us, hunting, shooting out in the real world, etc.....the Crown and many other rifles are hard to beat. Being most of this kind of shooting is done without the most solid rest, having the ultimate in precision rifles won't do much good if the cross hairs can't be held still.

I do agree that I have to be very careful with my Streamline and Crown, not to bump the barrel on things so I don't knock something out of whack or even worse, damage the barrel. I would just as soon not have that worry. But for my uses, the guns I've chosen have lived up to all my expectations. Even the entry-level SL still gets the job done.

As far as long range accuracy, all four of my quality guns have done it just fine. The Wildcat has made kills on starlings out to 122 yds. The SL made kills on pigeons out to 115 yds. The Ultimate Sporter made kills on pigeons out to 111 yds if I remember correctly. And the Crown made three back-to-back kills on pigeons at 118 yds just last week.

I saw the pigeon video, that was some great shooting. And I agree, the Crown, and many other quality rifles are more than adequate for any hunting need. I have a couple of rifles (RAW and Steyr), that would take more abuse than the Crown, but neither is one that I would want to take hunting. Now that I have the Crown trigger where it works well for me, I'm looking forward to shooting it more. 

Rich I have had quite a bit of experience recently with some of the new FX Wildcat MKII Compacts and one of the Warcat versions of it, and I can wholeheartedly recommend it to you for a lightweight carry rifle. I am extremely impressed with them and would love to have one to go with my Wildcat MKI and my new Wildcat .30 that's on the way. The Wildcat Compacts shoulder and point so naturally because they are just perfectly balanced, and I believe the accuracy will impress you also. I have handled most of the other airguns mentioned above, and for the price, woods carry ability, and accuracy the Wildcat Compact would be my choice all day long. Here is a nifty little scope you might consider putting on it if you buy one... https://www.bushnell.com/Products/Red-Dots/AR-Optics/Accellerate-Prism-Sight/?sku=AR750010. Don't be fooled by its size because I can hit shotgun hulls at 120 yards with one on my Wildcat with ease. Its great because the trajectory on the rifle allows you to just point and shoot out to about 60 yards without worrying about using holdovers or dialing in a firing solution. And the black reticle is unbelievable when illuminated in red or green! Here is what the reticle looks like in red... and it is in Mils!

1545454889_4568921675c1dc5296f16a4.26551444_BUSHNELL PRISM SIGHT.png

turrets say moa and not mildots in pics. can you confirm which it is?

What I don't understand is why very few makers make guns that have a free floating tensioned barrel system. Those are by far the best for using a gun in situations where there could be some knocking around. Or even how the Taipans have where it's rigidly mounted. I can't stand a gun that if I bump the barrel it changes poi. My WARP and Taipans haven't had this issue. I don't have much time to shoot and nowadays it'll be pesting and when I grab the gun and shoot a bird or squirrel it needs to be dead on. My biggest hesitation on bottle guns is there barrel stability. Tension the barrel and then problem solved!