• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Crown or king??

Hi Guys,
Just my 2 cents. The Panthera/Dynamic block is very similar to the Crows block in overall shape and size. The way the air moves through it and the location of the components are somewhat different. A lot of the parts in the Dynamic block are Crown parts: the whole trigger system, the hammer shuttle, the hammer weights, the hammer spring (depending on caliber), the hammer adjuster. The micro adjusting system is the same as the M3. The regulator is common to almost all FX Airguns. There is no Transfer port size adjustment on the Dynamic (nor is it needed).
The big difference is the plenum arrangement (and the whole air management system). The crown has a small plenum drilled out in the block (right where the Dynamic has its AMP regulator. The King/Dynamic has the "around the barrel" plenum. It is larger than the Crown's even with the smallest option available. (More available power!). But what the King/Dynamic doesn't have is the "Superlight" barrel system of the Crown MkII. I have two Crowns (380mm and 500 mm) and they both are super accurate. I use them in the Hunter Division of American Field Target and theydo extremely well in .177 with 13.4 gr pellets. I have also had a 500mm .22 barrel and shot 25gr JSB monsters as well as 26 gr Javlin slugs really well out to 70 yds (the limit of my range).
My favorite YouTube Channel, Sub12Airgunners, has had a series of videos on a Sub 12 Panthera. He has had all kinds of problems with the .177 barrel on that and has actually modified an AirArms HFT barrel to use on that rifle.
Based on the video's I have seen the King is simply a Front bottle Dynamic in the really great GRS stock (I love my GRS Crown). I think that for pellets it is hard to beat the Crown. I think last year (or the year before - time flies as one gets older) the EBR was won by a fellow shooting a .22 Crown. But for long range I think slugs will carry the day and the King will likely shoot slugs a lot more comfortably than the Crown. My personal opinion is that anything longer than a 500mm barrel on the Crown (or the King/Dynamic for that matter) looks silly. I am going to pursue a good tune for light slugs in my 380mm .22 barrel this winter. I prefer the 380mm barrel for walking in the woods.
Maybe that was a bit longer than 2 cents! Sorry.
Cheers,
Greg

Good post and explanations by both. I am a big fan of the short 380mm/.22 crown, as I am a fan of the superlight barrel, and port adjustment. The Crown is definitely ideal for pellets. But my Mk1 will still shoot 25gr slugs @950fps thru a 500mm barrel. I had it doing 36gr @ 880fps thru a 700mm, but it was just silly long. Crowns can shoot slugs just fine, the king is just more optimized toward that. I used a 7gm hammer weight and 150bar tune for slugs on my Mk1. Thing is, the Crown is deadly accurate pretty far out with pellets. And definitely within the range that I normally hunt. For targets and plinking, I find slugs to be unecessary, and overkill. Same for hunting (in my case). Also more expensive, and uses vastly more air. 99% of the time I use 380mm .22 barrel. And set around 16fpe. Dial the port knob and hammer knob, and it's at 33fpe. The Mk1 crown valve is perfectly sized for a .22 caliber gun. (Mk2 valve is bigger, cant recall how much. maybe 6.25 or 6.5mm compared to my 5.5mm?) The plenum is neither large or small. So, it is in a nice happy range where it's not much troubel to turn the power up OR down. Just won't do much more than 55fpe in 500mm/.22, but let's be real. That's still pretty powerful for a .22 airgun.

Reactions: swNCsw