• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Crown MKII ????????

Some of you may remember a month or so back I was tossing the idea between the Crown MKII and the Impact M3. Well I pulled the trigger and got the Crown, I love it. I topped it with an Element Titan, and Donnie FL moderator. It is an absolute tac driving machine, I have only been able to shoot to 100 yds due to property restraints. Amazing power, super easy adjustability, and will shoot everything from cheap 14.4 gr crossman bulk pellets, to 24.8 gr NSA slugs (heaviest I had on hand). My question is: the transfer port that FX puts in is it the same as the huma dual port that I see for sale? Is it worth the upgrade? I am wanting to go up in Slug weight for varmiting, and if the huma gives me a little more oomph I will do it. Also the carbon barrel sleeves, I know the discussion for is it worth it and all that, personally I think it is. On my liner, under the shroud I have the 3 "washers/spacers" the take up the distance from the liner to the shroud, will these still fit over the carbon sleeve? As always thanks in advance for the input. Sorry for the long windedness coffee has kicked in so brain is on slow motion still. Cheers folks. 

https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/power-tuning-mods-for-the-fx-crown/

Give this a look. Mostly dealing with mk1 crown, but still basically the same gun/parts. For reference the mk1 has a 5.5mm valve, yours should have a 6.5mm. Also has a lighter valve return spring, so be careful adding weights to your hammer if you do. Never dry fire the crown (with no air pressure) don't fire it with low pressure and modified excess hammer weight either. 

I find the dual ports work OK. But they're not ideal. I've seen people lose power with them, I've seen others (in absolute best case) match power gains I see in the ports I've modified myself 

The dual transfer port will get you more speed at higher power, no doubt about it but make sure you get the FX or Ernest’s dual port version(higher and low power transfer ports) because you lose the consistency with the larger TP at lower power, the small TP provides consistency at lower power for pellets. It’s a must have unless you only shoot slugs. 

if you want to go heavier than 24 grain slugs then you might look into heavy liners, the superior liner doesn’t provide optimal stabilization for heavier slugs BUT heavy liner has a little too much spin for pellets especially if they have any imperfection and they will spiral badly. Perfect pellets still shoot fine out of heavy liner at lower speed and closer range. If you want just 1 liner then stick with superior and 24 grain and lighter slugs, there isn’t that much to gain by going heavier. 

Carbon liner sleeves are absolutely worth the upgrade and I have them on just about all my FX liners. As for fitting I would just glue on the liner sleeve and leave only 1 spacer at the very end. IMHO once the liner is reenforced with carbon liner there is no need for the middle spacers.

With respect to the dual ports, my experience has been that simply upgrading to the dual port actually gives a LOWER FPS (at any given reg pressure) than the single round/oval transfer ports. At least this is true for pellets. I have seen this on two Crown MK2s now, one in .30 caliber and the other in .22. In both cases I acquired a rifle with the HUMA or ER Dual Port installed, and happened to also have 700mm barrels from my older ports that had the single TP. In both cases, with no other changes except the barrel, the rifles gave more power with the single transfer port. Since I am mostly a bench or offhand target shooter, generally between 25 to 50 yards at home with the occasional trip to the range for 100 yards, and since I use mostly pellets, I have stuck with the single hole.

Chris

Doesn't the MKII Crown have both the pellet port and the dual transfer port from the factory now? Impact only?

That may be true for some calibers, but I got my Crowns in December 2020 and (used) April. I also read that the .30 cal barrels do not come with the dual port on one side and the single one the other. My Impact M3 which I received in June had a .22 700mm barrel with the two types of ports.