• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Crown MKII vs Impact MKII

I'm going to be buying a new rifle in .22cal and am leaning towards the Crown MKII Continuum in black pepper laminate. I look at the Impact 700mm and think it would be nice to have the extra power and capability, but keep thinking about the wandering POI people mention and all the O rings. If you were going to buy a either of these new, which one would you buy? Please keep the discussion between these two. I was going to buy the Delta Wolf, but will sit that one out for the time being.

Edit to add....a lot of my shooting is crows and magpies around the 30-50 yard range (sometimes 80 yards) and I like to shoot paper out to 100 yards (time permitting).

The CONTINUUM comes standard with a synthetic stock and two barrels, perhaps the dealer swaps the stock? or special orders a laminate stock configuration?

Barrel lengths are 380mm and 700mm, the 380mm will shoot 15g & 18g JSB really well, certainly good for 50 yards, but going to a heavier pellet than 18 makes it really inneficient.

A 700mm IMO is very unwiedly on the CROWN, ok from the bench or a fixed position but no good for anything else, the 600mm is the best barrel length on a CROWN by far for shooting the heavier .22 pellets, if you only intend to shot 18g pellets though the 500mm is a very good compromise.

Although I have a couple of IMPACTS I would never keep them over my CROWNS, I have a couple of MKII and three others, there is something about a more traditional style rifle that just cannot be beaten for a comfortable shooting position.

I have both, and I cannot say that one is better than the other. I do prefer the bullpup just for mobility. I am also thinking about the delta, but the people that have received them started out excited and now I’m not hearing anything? And I’m just wandering why it should be the red wolf but in a bullpup configuration and more easily fine tuning. So I’ll think on until I hear more. Good luck on your decision ether way your going to be pleased 

From my perspective, as an owner of two Crowns and an Impact, its a tough choice. The first thing I would say is to forget all the rubbish you hear about the Impact having all these POI issues. First of all, I hear the same thing about the Crown, secondly, given the barrel attachment systems the Impact “should” actually be more robust than the Crown. I personally have never had the issue with any of my Crowns (and I have owned three in total, though I currently only have two) nor with my Impact. FX makes tens of thousands of Impacts each year and they are always sold out. That wouldn’t be happening if they were all basically crap.

The Crown, to me, feels like it should be the better offhand shooter. It simply fits me better and feels more natural. However, in fact, I am every bit as accurate with my Impact, offhand, as I am with my Crowns! My Crown Continuum is really great offhand with the 380mm barrel (I have these in .22 and .25). The 700mm barrel is really rather unwieldy for offhand shooting and I find my 600mm barrel much better. I have often thought that, at least in .22 and .25, that the 500mm barrel might be perfect, but I have never tried one. The Impact, with a 700mm barrel, is a much handier weapon to walk around with. And, it is simply a “machine”. Powerful, huge magazine capacity, incredible adjustability/tunability and, amazing accuracy. My Impact, with both .25 and .30 barrel kits, is the most accurate rifle I have ever fired at 25 and 50 yards, bar none. Here again though, there is a dilemma, as my Crown MK2, with a 700mm .30 cal barrel, is easier to shoot off the bench.

As a few people above have said, the real answer is to get both 😇

Impact, 6 shots, 35 yards!

DFAD220E-B253-4D48-ACAC-0EB9817233F3.1614533187.jpeg
3A587F66-C784-4E87-84F1-4CE9C6991F9F.1614533187.jpeg
780F0853-5221-4041-9A31-9BC09A874B6F.1614533188.jpeg

Crown, 700mm .22 5 shots, 34 yards

D30C1822-16FF-4A5F-9642-6F8F5D6CB23D.1614533584.jpeg
A6C99588-09CB-4A51-BFC2-33129324A20C.1614533585.jpeg
A3496E22-7748-43E3-8690-F5DD7F73796D.1614533586.jpeg

Chris

Others have shared a lot of great information. When I think of the two air guns, this is how I look at it...

The Impact has a larger magazine capacity, more power, modularity and is more adjustable.

The Crown is a more traditional design, super comfortable, and a simpler construction.

Both are very accurate, a joy to shoot and are a pleasure to own. I sold our Crown and wish I wouldn’t have. On the other hand, I can’t imagine not having an Impact, just a super fun gun. I’ve never had POI problems with either.

Good luck with your decision!

Stoti

They are very different in a lot of ways IMO, the crown is one of the most comfortable natural shooters! Especially if you like thumb up?I have never had poi shift issues that were not explainable by the weather or shooter/assembler in any caliber. The crown is versatile and more simple in a lot of ways. But the impact has and can do things the Crown simply cannot do. Large mags, plenum capacity, add on parts. I have no plans on ever being without either! I just barely bought my 4th caliber in the Crown, 177 500mm, it just may be my favorite yet! FX 177 barrels shoot good? Oh lord it shoots good!

Having had both.... The Crown hands down. I have the continuum in .22. I love the short barrel. And I converted the long one to a 500mm slug shooter. 

The balance is so much nicer. The trigger is more adjustable. The gun just feels and points far better. What I've come to know is that you don't need a ton of power. Honestly. a Light, fast moving projectile with a nice BC will get the job done extremely well (think .177 monster RD). Close enough that I don't see a point shooting 36gr instead of 21gr slugs. Difference in accuracy is so incredibly minimal with the gun dialed in. (but there isn't much wind where I shoot.) Lighter slugs use so much less air. Still get more than enough speed thru short barrel. And if they're hollow or have a low density core, still have a long sleek profile for a nice BC.

DSCF5543_edited.1614539990.jpg

As someone who has owned both , this is a very tough decision. I think it very much depends on what you want to do with it and what you are most comfortable with.

Crown – Long, or shot, two barrels is awesome. I have the 600mm and it is great, but I have considered a 380 for hunting too. Rifle setup and fully adjustable as is. Smaller magazines. Not quite the same top end power, but shoots 18gr and 25gr better than any rifle I’ve owned, and will shoot some lighter slugs on the same settings. Fewer shots per fill.

Impact – Bullpup setup is very different. The very tall setup is not for some people, and I think a wider bipod is much more beneficial to try to balance the rifle better. Have to buy an addon to adjust the cheek piece, which to me is necessary for all rifles. Still very accurate. My Impact was a 30 cal and possibly the most accurate rifle I’ve owned. My Crown with superior liner is most accurate 22 I’ve owned, just barely squeaking out the RW. Larger magazine. Can get more power and shoot heavier slugs if you want that. More shots per fill for me at similar speeds.

I don’t think you can go wrong with either. I really think it comes down to setup more than anything. Which setup do you prefer? I really liked both, and actually now have the Crown, which has been a good combination of the two for me. 

Never had an oring problem or wandering POI with either Impact or Crown. I go back out to shoot and it is right where I left it.

I've never owned nor shot an Impact, and I sometimes feel that my airgun collection is lacking because I don't have one. But I still ask myself the question: Without owning an Impact am I missing out on airgun perfection, or significant frustration? I will be interested in other responses. I also wonder whether an Impact Mk III is imminent...

The only frustration I have with my Impacts is not enough time to shoot them lately! I have a crown mkll as well as had couple original crowns.

In my opinion they are equally accurate once you find the right pellet for the rifle. Then it comes down to what fits your style/type and what may work better ergonomically for one person might be different then another. So my vote, buy both then sell what you don’t like. You will never know until you try. Or hang around a local gun range and hope to find someone that will let you try their setup. 

I have a crown mk1, and a impact mk2. The crown mk2 has some improvements, and some more power availabe, over the mk1, but othervise they are the same. Both are nice, but I use my impact most, as I prefer the shorter lenght. If you like to tune, everything is accesable without dismantling, on the impact, which is a pluss. 

The only thing I do not like on the crown, is that you a have to take the stock off to get acces to the set screw on the powerwheel. Taking the stock off is a litle cumbersome as both safety, and powerwheel has to be removed, where small parts can be dropped if not carefull. Not something you normally would do at the bench. Then powerwheel has to be attached again once more, without stock, to adjust it. So when you are setting up the power wheel and chronying the crown, you have to do it without the stock, then take powerwheel off again, to get the stock on. I modified the stock on mine, so I can acces everything without having to take anything apart.

I have a crown mk1, and a impact mk2. The crown mk2 has some improvements, and some more power availabe, over the mk1, but othervise they are the same. Both are nice, but I use my impact most, as I prefer the shorter lenght. If you like to tune, everything is accesable without dismantling, on the impact, which is a pluss. 

The only thing I do not like on the crown, is that you a have to take the stock off to get acces to the set screw on the powerwheel. Taking the stock off is a litle cumbersome as both safety, and powerwheel has to be removed, where small parts can be dropped if not carefull. Not something you normally would do at the bench. Then powerwheel has to be attached again once more, without stock, to adjust it. So when you are setting up the power wheel and chronying the crown, you have to do it without the stock, then take powerwheel off again, to get the stock on. I modified the stock on mine, so I can acces everything without having to take anything apart.

95753036_940556183014382_7850805711456960512_n.1614626779.jpg

Need re-finished, but I did the same lol. Spare stock I had wound up with. I have a couple hammer adjusters, I dont adjust them, just swap the unit out for a different one with different preset.

95753036_940556183014382_7850805711456960512_n.1614626779.jpg

Need re-finished, but I did the same lol. Spare stock I had wound up with. I have a couple hammer adjusters, I dont adjust them, just swap the unit out for a different one with different preset.

So that tiny hole is to losen and swap out the whole hammer adjuster? Seems like a good idea:)

To the original poster: Removing or adjusting powerwheel screw is not something you normally would do on regular basis. But for thouse who like to change theire tunes often, and use the full range of the wheel, it is nice to have easier acces to the small hex screw.