• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Crown Continuum Velocities close to each other

I have chronied this rifle a few times now and have not seen a large or long range of variance by using the hammer spring knob. Am I missing something or is your experience similar?

.22 Caliber using the 380mm barrel with 18.13 JSB pellets and air knob on 177/22 cal Reg set at 140; AVERAGES:

MAX = 885.0 MIN = 877.6 LOW = 536

'5' = 883.0 'A' = 882.3

'4' = 885.0 'B' = 881.5

'3' = 880.0 'C' = 882.5

'2' = 880.9 'D' = 880.2

'1' = 878.8 'E' = 879.3

I would have thought there woud/should be about a 10FPS difference between each, except of course the 'LOW' setting. Yes, No?

Thanks!

mike

Im curious as well my dream lite compact is minimum power change using the hammer spring or the transfer port. Only increasing reg pressure to 150/155 i get into the 800s. I took the stock off have the lite version i can see the spring has little to no tension on it. I did the ernest rowe hammer adjustment with true max i feel im missing somthing tho

What reg setting? Your tune appears to be positioned with max on the far side of the power curve. Imagine power curve going up, peaking and then going down. You want max to be on the rise before peak. Not on the fall after the peak.

Mine with unmodified ports was tuned to 870fps with those pellets at 130bar

Current tune on mine is ported probe and barrel inlet 930fps at 131 bar (hammer tension is less than the aforementioned factory tune)

My low setting and min. port setting yields something like 670fps

I idon'thave a Crown, but do have an Impact X in .22.

When you have the power wheel set at MIN, or 1, is there any slack in the slider? If you really wanted a "range" of usable velocities you could leave the power wheel at 1 and loosen the tension on the slider screw until you see a drop of may 50 fps, as an example. Then see if you still get your 885 on MAX. If that worked, you could loosen the screw more until you started to drop the 885 on MAX and then add a turn to glue in the top speed.

Ah, OK. In the tuning I've done, the hammer weight seems to yield less response in terms of power increase past 135 bar. 140 is perfectly fine. Basically, the pressure behind the valve is going to reduce dwell time once you're past the hammer to system pressure efficiency range. Some people tune their guns a bit past (somewhere in 130-135 bar it seems) to 140-150bar to reduce velocity a little, and also reduce turbulence in the system. I don't entirely understand it, but shorter dwell seems to result in a cleaner valve operation.

My gun came tuned at 130bar. (from factory) it does seem to be very responsive and happy there. Typically with less system pressure, you can use less hammer spring tension to crack the valve. Which frees up more response range in HST wheel adjustments. Which also lends to lighter trigger break. Win/win/win

Okay. While I haven't had a chance to fully check it out with a chrony, I have taken the suggestions to loosen the HS adjuster, making it move further. I have also dropped the regulated pressure to about 135ish, it seems to be creeping though as I set it at 135 and it's now 140 after 10 minutes. Since its a new Continuum, it has the AMP regulator, so that's somewhat concerning.

I will try to get out with the chrony and see what it's up to now.

Thanks bunches for the help so far.

mike