Crown Continium 380mm barrel

I have been playing with my new crown testing several pellets and slugs. First I should mention I opened the pellet probe and barrel port as discribed on this forum . The 380mm barrel was doing 865-872 FPS with reg on 145 and the power set on 25/30 caliber and power wheel at Max Shooting the JSB 18 grn pellets. After opening the ports I gained about 60 +FPS and now it shoots the 18 grns around 930 FPS. I bought the gun from AGU and asked them to tune for the 25 grain JSB monsters as I wanted to get the most fpe out of the .22. They called me back and said the barrel wasn’t really engineered for heavy pellets but more for the JSB 18 grn. and that I would be better to get the slug barrel for the heavier pellets and slugs. I did shoot a group at 45 yards with the JSB 18 grn before doing the porting and it shot a one hole group at 872 FPS. I shot them again after the porting and at 930 FPS the group opened up quite a lot to about an inch, so I backed the power wheel from Max to 5 and at 910 FPS the group was around 7/16’. Turning the power wheel down to 4 got me 903 FPS and shot a 3/8’ group. Again I turned the power wheel down to 3 and at 890 FPS got a nice one hole group. So as it has been said hear before you have to tune to the sweet spot for each weight pellet. 

I then tried some heavier pellets at the Max power setting and was pleasantly surprised how well JSB 25.3 jumbo monsters RD shot. They shot As well as the 18 grn ! But at 805 FPS. But the 33 grn Jumbo Beasts were terrible at 705 FPS. I tried some 22.5 grn Rat Sniper slugs and wow again as good as the JSB 18grn. At 822 FPS. I tried some Neilsons slugs in 21 and 23 but they didn’t do as well . These were flat base slugs and in my experience in three other guns the Rat Sniper slugs out performed the Neilsons . I am attributing that to the cupped base and deep hollow point design of the RS slug. I need to try the newer Nielsen slugs with the same cupped base since Rat Sniper has gone AWOL ? These heavier pellets and slugs will do well enough for small game hunting and pesting out to 50 yards which is about as far a shot I get in the thick woods in my area of PA. I haven’t tried anything beyond 45 yards yet. 

‘Then I put the 700mm barrel on and that’s a whole new story. Now shooting the 18 grn JSB at 1063fps in about a3/4” group but the JSB 25grn Monsters Redesigned shot a hole in hole 5 shot group at 980fps. None of the slugs did as well as the JSB pellets. All these groups were on the max settings and same reg setting. I have more testing to do with different slugs and try some tuning but I can settle with the 18 grn JSB or the 25 JSB Monsters RD for hunting small game using the 380mm barrel. Frankly I think the 700 mm barrel is too long for hunting. I think the 380mm makes for a nicer short package but at a cost in needed velocity to push the heavier slugs and pellets over 18 grain for midsized animals out past 50 yards. I have plans to get a 30 caliber slug barrel in 600mm for hunting bigger game and maybe a .22 slug liner to try in the 600mm shroud as well. I think that length is a good compromise for power and overall length of this gun with moderator. 

Yes, the accuracy with the 380mm barrel is good. Since it is not a slug barrel, I have not tried slugs in it....yet. Shooting the JSB 18gr right now and am satisfied out to 80+ yards at ground squirrels and pigeons. The short barrel is excellent for hunting.

I too would like to try a 60mm slug barrel, but refuse to spend $600+ to buy a barrel/shroud/probe 'kit' being sold by all of the vendors currently, then buying a slug barrel on top of that. I have already complained to FX about this, they stated that until the market is such that it's closer to 50/50 pellet/slug, they will not offer the slug, shroud, probe 'kit'....BS!

Anyway OP, yes they are accurate. Got any other questions, just ask, I will be glad to give you my honest opinion.

mike

I let my colleague (not an airgunner)who never shot my airgun before have a go with it.

It's a 5shot group @50 meter indoor.shot the 18grain JSB at 860fps.The picture says it all....

1573804426_12787091975dce598a963956.14764649_20191009_094515.jpg
1573804427_1773490535dce598be03234.35679046_20191009_094444.jpg

We got our 25 cal continuums a couple of weeks ago. The accuracy is surprisingly good. Mine shoots the 25 grain at 870 fps and is an absolute laser.

if you are on instagram, search “68 whiskey airgunning” and you will see just a few posts back i am shooting hickory nuts off a tree in rapid fire. Just smashing them as fast as i can pull the trigger.

We also just put a video on airgun 101 that shows us killing a pigeon at 146 yards with it, a sparrow at 105, and many birds around the 50-70 yard mark. We are very impressed. Actually we havent even tried the 700 mm barrels yet because they are shooting so well and so handy with the 380mm barrel.

i highly recommend this one, especially for hunting. We havent found the range limit for these guns yet, pic to follow.
best

keith 

1573822299_15923704695dce9f5b804709.88689196_9294FD78-2107-4B2C-830A-1CE2F9F7F6E2.jpeg

this was at 101 yards shooting off a hay bale with no bipod or rear bag. I couldnt believe it. We did not tune this gun either. 160 bar out of the box. No idea where the hammer is. Never had the gun out of the stock. The vertical spread is nil. The horizontal is great considering there was. 5-10 mph wind and i held nothing for this shot string and did not try to change my aim when the wind kicked up. I wouldnt call this a benchrest gun with the 380mm, but i think it is highly impressive.

Quote from PCParmy: We got our 25 cal continuums a couple of weeks ago. The accuracy is surprisingly good. Mine shoots the 25 grain at 870 fps and is an absolute laser.

pcparmy , Is your Crown stock or have you made any mods to the ports? What is your reg set at to get 870 fps with the 25 grain pellets ? I only get 820 out of mine with 25 monsters and reg at 145 and I even ported the probe and barrel that gave me at least 50 more fps from stock. Id love to get 870 out of my 380mm barrel with 23 to 25 grain pellets and slugs. I would make my own barrel liner to fit the 380 shroud. Simple to do if you can find someone with a mini lathe and cut off the rear portion of a 600mm or 700mm slug liner and turn to fit the brass barrel port. Then the cost would only be the cost of a slug liner and the brass port. I know higher fps could be achieved by installing a bigger valve and heavier hammer and upping the reg pressure but dont know if I want to go that far yet as problems creep up when you push these guns and I still have a 3 year warranty .Dont ask how I know.

Haha. Yeah pushing them can be problematic if you go too far. Both are completely stock. As a matter of fact we didn't even tune them. We just took them out of the box and shot them as is. My reg is at 160. How it arrived from UA. All i did was lube my pellets and sight it in. I am comfortable pushing the reg to 165 personally. I did with my original crown for awhile. Just have to be careful about shooting it under the reg with it that high. 

I shot my .22 Crown Continuum with the 380mm barrel and liner out to 45yards only (longest range I can shoot on my property without getting in touble). At that distance I can achieve 0.3in groups easily with the JSB 18.13gr. and velocity at about 830FPS and the regulator set to about 125BAR. What most forget is that with the short barrel you can't push the pressure too much as you are 1) wasting air and 2) the excess air will cause turbulence behind the pellet that can destabilize it.

If you're planning to go beyond 60-70 yards with the Crown Cont. switch to the longer 700mm barrel.