• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Tuning crown 25. verses 22.cal accuracy

What length barrel do you have? I have a 25 MKII crown (Skeletor) 600mm barrel and it has been my competition rifle for a few years. Extreme Field Target, 100 yard benchrest and silhouette target. I shoot the 34 grain JSB right at around 900 FPS. Rifle is very accurate.

I also have a 380mm 22 MKI crown (Headbanger) that I use for hunting which is very accurate also right at around 880 FPS with the JSP 18's. This rifle can hold it’s own at 50 yards against Skeletor, but when we stretch it out to 100 yards in the wind the 25 always does better.

If you are only shooting 50 yards I would tune the rifle for the 25 cal JSB 25 grain pellets. These pellets are super accurate in the 850-890 range. You should get a huge amount of shots per fill using the 25's.

Don't get caught up on the "speed" race. Accuracy trumps speed every time.

Tony P.

I have a Crown with the .25 and .30 barrels. Both shoot one hole at 50. JSB Diablo pellets. And I mean in the same hole.
That is great to hear. I have a .30 cal with the 600mm barrel coming. I also ordered JSB 44.75's for it.
I haven't officially measured it yet, but I'm clearing a spot for a large pellet trap near the 100 yard mark.

Reactions: jawshunting
My .25 is the 380mm. The .30 is a 700 mm. With the moderator it’s a long dude. I was thinking of selling the 700 mm barrel and buying a shorter .30, but I’m scared of losing too much velocity.
The 700 mm from what I understand is the best performing for long range benchrest shooting, although it requires a better follow through than the shorter barrels so that you don't disturb it before the shot is clear.

My .25 is the 380mm. The .30 is a 700 mm. With the moderator it’s a long dude. I was thinking of selling the 700 mm barrel and buying a shorter .30, but I’m scared of losing too much velocity.
Oh oh I just got a message! 😃

Screenshot_20230515_133421_Messages.jpg

What length barrel do you have? I have a 25 MKII crown (Skeletor) 600mm barrel and it has been my competition rifle for a few years. Extreme Field Target, 100 yard benchrest and silhouette target. I shoot the 34 grain JSB right at around 900 FPS. Rifle is very accurate.

I also have a 380mm 22 MKI crown (Headbanger) that I use for hunting which is very accurate also right at around 880 FPS with the JSP 18's. This rifle can hold it’s own at 50 yards against Skeletor, but when we stretch it out to 100 yards in the wind the 25 always does better.

If you are only shooting 50 yards I would tune the rifle for the 25 cal JSB 25 grain pellets. These pellets are super accurate in the 850-890 range. You should get a huge amount of shots per fill using the 25's.

Tony P.
Thanks for the info . I was heavy into rinfire benchrest I gave it up a few years ago and miss shooting so now i am getting into airguns . I just bought a used crown from someone on the classified adds here and I should have it in a few days . its a 25 cal It comes with two 500 and a 600 barrel

Thanks for the info . I was heavy into rinfire benchrest I gave it up a few years ago and miss shooting so now i am getting into airguns . I just bought a used crown from someone on the classified adds here and I should have it in a few days . its a 25 cal It comes with two 500 and a 600 barrel
I bought a used one as well, and just got it yesterday. It has a 600mm .30 cal barrel. The pellets won't be here till tomorrow. I bought JSB 44.75's for it.
You may have had some experience with these powerful, first focal plane scopes, since you shot rimfire benchrest, but it will be a whole new experience for me with this whole package, rifle and scope.
Next purchase I'm thinking will be a Caldwell Turet for it, otherwise I'll need a bipod.

Hi .20calguy, I too am getting a Crown , very soon. 22 with 380mm and a 700mm barrel. Am going to try 50, 100, 150, 200 yard standing.
Yes I saw you mention that somewhere in a post.
I look forward to your feedback.
I shot mine from the bench at 28 yards and the trigger was to light for me, going off before I was locked on. I still managed a 3/4" inch group, which is way better than my first two PCP aquasitions a .22 Beeman Chief2, and a .22 Gauntlet2. Two lousy shooters that motivated me to quit playing.
😀

20230515_204239.jpg

Reactions: L.Leon and tibor
I have only shot my .25 MkII very little. When zeroing my scope from a bench, it was just about putting hole-in-hole shots at 25 yards, and my setup was not ideal. I know that I was not perfectly lined up from shot to shot. Plus, I was tired, and the gun and scope were new to me. I don't have a lot of shooting experience, a Benjamin Marauder in .22 being the only other rifle I had owned and shot. So, I told my wife, "I don't just think I can hit a fly with this gun, I think I can hit him in the head." And I meant it. I have not tried for groups since but hope to in the near future. S7

Last edited:
Reactions: .20calguy

Tony P.
That's helpful data, pesty3782. I am still learning my way around things, so let me ask you something. Are you referring to the JSB 25.39 grain Exact King Diabolo pellets? That's what I believe my .25 was tuned for. Thank you. S7

Reactions: .20calguy