Crow FPE and poop identification help!

First question: how many FPE does it take to kill a crow on the spot center mass? I saw a crow landed on my tree so I snuck under the tree and hit it dead center from under neath with my PP700 shooting the crossman 14.3 hollow point pellet at 700 FPS. Heard a very loud thwack and I watched it wobbled a little and flew off. At first I though it would just drop dead in my neighbors yard but it kept flying like nothing has happened until it’s completely out of sight. I was shocked that it took 15 FPE to the chest and shrug it off!!! are they that tough? I could not believe my eyes! Didn’t have a head shot because I was under it and had to thread the pellet through branches. 

Second question is what kind of animal leaves poop like this? It ate good portion of my only tomato plant, haven’t seen it since though.
1595697842_801670915f1c6ab24fe155.39929868.jpeg

Qball have you ever been out hunting pigeons or crows with shotguns? If you haven’t then I’m sure you’ll be shocked to hear that I have personally witnessed and have friends/family tell me about times they have for sure shot pigeons and crows in flight with a shell but they continue flying. Sometimes they do fall which indicate a lung shot most often but other times if not directly hit in any vital area will escape. Never underestimate an animals will to live. You should look up the story of cher ami a ww1 messenger pigeon that was shot in the chest by a rifle round and had his foot only hanging by a tendon when it arrived with its message. It was able to recover and live a relatively long life after. Crows are universally considered hardier birds than pigeons so brushing off a non vital blow is definitely more feasible. So when it comes to hunting with pellet guns it comes down to precise placement otherwise situations like this are bound to arise.

And as for the poop the small and clumpy nature of it would lead me to believe it’s a raccoon but I’m not certain, just would be my guess.

Yo’s graphic is probably correct. However the chart doesn’t emphasize the most important thing, which is pin point shot placement in either the head/heart. Nobody is perfect when it comes to real life hunting/pesting situations so misses and close shots will be inevitable. So if it was me personally I would at the bare minimum want to at least triple the minimum energy required to provide for more ethical shots.

Thanks guys! I have a .25 caliber Dreamline coming so Next time it’s get more than twice the FPE wit my almost twice as heavy .25 hades. Or I can use my impact.....

Do raccoons eat the leaves of tomato plants and leave half eaten unripe tomato on the Vine? The clumpy shape is what got me, both rabbits and deers have smooth round pellet poop as far as I know. Also the poop looks to be made of solid plant matter so I assume it’s from a strict herbivore. 

I've killed crows with 12fpe rifles many times. But they were head shots. 

Crows and pigeons and most birds have a thick breast that takes a lot of energy to get through. From underneath, no telling what you have to get through, plus straight underneath shots are hard to judge holdover/under, at least for me. I'd bet you hit the breast. 

You have plenty of gun, the shot placement just needs to be a little more precise. 

I've hit them center mass with a 28fpe .22 and had them fly off. They are very tough birds. 

On birds, if you ever doubt that you have enough energy, go for a head shot. That way it's either a clean miss or almost always a killing shot. Crows are hard to get close enough to pick and choose shots, I totally understand it's not always an option. Just happens sometimes. 

WOW!!!! That’s one helluva worm to leave that much poop! However the tomato’s look like they got take out a huge bite over night! I’ll have to look for this crazy large worms. 

Bob: it’s my urban backyard so I think slugs are off the table even though my impact has 23 grain NSA shooting great at lowly 840 FPS though....I don’t usually shoot that far. Maybe I’ll use use .25 hades or .25 King’s heavy once my Dreamline gets here next week. They don’t usually stop on my tree but lately we’ve been seeing large flock of them in the evening flying around. 

I've killed crows with 12fpe rifles many times. But they were head shots. 

Crows and pigeons and most birds have a thick breast that takes a lot of energy to get through. From underneath, no telling what you have to get through, plus straight underneath shots are hard to judge holdover/under, at least for me. I'd bet you hit the breast. 

You have plenty of gun, the shot placement just needs to be a little more precise. 

I've hit them center mass with a 28fpe .22 and had them fly off. They are very tough birds. 

On birds, if you ever doubt that you have enough energy, go for a head shot. That way it's either a clean miss or almost always a killing shot. Crows are hard to get close enough to pick and choose shots, I totally understand it's not always an option. Just happens sometimes. 

thanks for the pointers! My yard is small so I really don’t have a choice besides shooting straight up to be safe. They alway land on top of the tree which never has a back stop. Even with whimpy 22 pellets I still won’t take a side shot because of that. 

Going forward it’s going to be 25 with heavies which should punch right through from under neath. It’s only about 30 feet up.