CROSSMAN PREMIER MORE CONSISTANT THAN JSB EXACT?

I wanted to see what the grain weight consistency of Crossman Premier Hollow Points was, compared to JSB Exact. I was very surprised to see the Crossman 14.3 gn was the clear winner. 80% of the Crossman were either 14.3 or 14.4 gn. With the JSB 15.89, the majority were 15.7 and 16 grain. Most were 15.7gn. and second was 16gn. I guess that's why Crossman shoot accurately in most in the less expensive air rifles, made by Crossman/Benjamin. Such as the Benjamin Trail NP2.
I'm retired ,so I have a lot of time on my hands, when the weather is to hot to shoot.

MrJohns,

Weight is certainly one area to look for in consistency. I have crossmans premiers in cardboard ranging from 1998 to 2014 and yes, they weight and shoot differently.

I've yet to find a box of the 'magic' 2004 L's that my gunsmith raves about. I haven't found Crossman Premiers to be as consistent down range as AA or JSB though. 

Yes weight definitely matters but at distance so does head size, skirt size, evenness of weight distribution in the pellet, pellet damage, how well the pellet seals the barrel, friction of the pellet in the barrel, etc all unfortunately gets seen by our barrels and shows up on the target. Wish there was an easy way to presort all that stuff!!

I've found the best way to check the consistency of .177's is at 40 to 55 yards. For comparison, I went out a few minutes ago and pulled 10 random pellets from a tin of AA (10.3) , JSB (10.3) , and CPHP (7.9), lightly lubed them, and sent them into a target at about 40 yards from my CR-X. AA is and has been this guns most consistent pellet. 

I'm waiting for my Steyr to come back with a new barrel to see if it then shoots those best. If not, I have a few more tins of .177 to choose from

My TX200 likes the JSB Exact 15.89, but I have been looking at the AA brand. I have been told the skirt is a bit heavier than the JSB. I plan on buying some in the near future. I haven't tried the Crossman in my TX200 yet. I had them for a Benjamin Trail NP. I have never fired the Benjamin. I was looking for something to do and just started weighing them. Really surprised at the weight consistency.

"sharroff"Bobbed06,

Yes, I have a very nice collection of .177 pellets that don't shoot accurately from my guns at 50 yards. Had to try them though "just in case'.

End of day, if you want to shoot pests in the back yard under 20 yards, most anything will do. If you want to shoot for score at 55 yards it gets a bit more complicated.

I am sure it does. My shots are all mainly 40 yards and under.

I got a few tins of JSB'S 18.39 that have real thick skirts on them and the other tins have got the thin skirts. i just noticed this last night having some indexing issues on the FX mags with these thicker skirts. used only the thin skirts and had no problems what so ever with the indexing of the mag. the only downside to the thin skirts is they have little dents from the production line rollers.

Well it looks like I am about to eat my words. 2 days ago i finally got my Crosman Nitro Venom Dusk 22 dialed in at 20 yards. I was using Crosman Premier Hollow Point 14.3 Gr and nailed my quarter sized spinner 14 out of 15 shots ( I jerked on the miss,my fault)

Then yesterday I tried again to do the same thing and missed 13 of 15 shots with same pellets.

So today it was cool outside and I had a damaged tin of JSB Diablo Jumbo 15.89 Gr I had been avoiding because they were damaged in transit. So I decided to sort out some good ones and loaded a pellet pen for a session. Sure enough.....just like the online reviewers stated......the Nitro Venom Dusk 22 loved them. They fit the breech well, and I immediately hut 5 bullseyes on my quarter sized spinner. Just for kicks I switched to a Crosman Premier Hollow Point 14.3 Gr and immediately proceeded to miss 3 shots. I went back to the JSB 15.89Gr and went right back to hitting bullseyes.......

Looks like I will be ordering 4 tins of these JSB next time they have a sale on em.

Here are two shot cards. When looking at these please take into account I am new to this hobby, and the rifle is still being tuned in and breaking in. I know I have been wishy washy on this topic, but I am always willing to try different things.

Crosman Premier Hollow Point 14.3 gr $6 bux for 500 off the shelf

Jsb Diablo Exact Jumbo 15.89Gr Cost almost $20 bux for 250ct

"sharroff"The 15.89's are around 19.8 fpe and the 14.3 are around 20 fpe. (if your velocities are correct) So let's use 20 as your fpe. If you are looking to get closer to 880-900 fps you probably want one tin of lighter pellets to try. 13.4's could be good (820 fps). 10.3's might wind up moving too fast (930 fps)

Thanks, I double checked I am at 630 feet per second with 15.89 Gr and and about 690 feet per second with 14.3 Gr. I think I am in the high 13s as far as foot pounds of energy. What do ya think of the groupings?

I did notice that my shooting position greatly affected my accuracy. I think the next step is to get a tri pod. I am looking at the Jim Shockey tri pod trigger stick.