• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Crossman 2240 Build (Where To Start?)

This can be a very deep and enjoyable rabbit hole. Look at some of @biohazardman posts as he has a nice set of links to different manufacturers posts with accessories. @nervoustrig also has an active history of being helpful on the 2240 platform. Look at this post and see what you like. My guns, as they looked a year ago are here.

If I had one word of advice, I would say that you would want to replace the valve as you are upgrading, so I wouldn't mess with the adapters that thread into the stock valve and require that you screw it down to the frame. When you do this, you are limited by the volume and pressure that the stock valve can handle, and you will soon find that is insufficient. My 2240 in 22cal is running at 2900PSI, and I am getting a max of 31FPE, and I promise that is all I can get from that gun with the hardware I have. If you want a slug gun, you may want to look at a different platform or get a really aggressive valve/plenum/etc. that I don't know about.

I turned one into a bottled broomstick a few years back:
finished1.jpg

Full build details here

This can be a very deep and enjoyable rabbit hole. Look at some of @biohazardman posts as he has a nice set of links to different manufacturers posts with accessories. @nervoustrig also has an active history of being helpful on the 2240 platform. Look at this post and see what you like. My guns, as they looked a year ago are here.

If I had one word of advice, I would say that you would want to replace the valve as you are upgrading, so I wouldn't mess with the adapters that thread into the stock valve and require that you screw it down to the frame. When you do this, you are limited by the volume and pressure that the stock valve can handle, and you will soon find that is insufficient. My 2240 in 22cal is running at 2900PSI, and I am getting a max of 31FPE, and I promise that is all I can get from that gun with the hardware I have. If you want a slug gun, you may want to look at a different platform or get a really aggressive valve/plenum/etc. that I don't know about.
Thank you for the info I checked out that thread and seen some super cool 2240s can't wait to get mine built.

Reactions: SkeeterHawk
Hello everyone! I am quite new to the airgun community (only own a few big bores only for hunting) and I am wanting to make a crossman 2240 HPA bottle build but I have absolutely no idea where to start or how much it will cost. I am wanting to make something similar to this.
I've built quite a few myself and they will end up in the $300 range, depending on where you source parts and your hands on skills. My 2240 is currently set up with a 1720 177 barrel and shrouded with 8 baffles. It's quiet as a mouse fart, stacking cheap pellets out to 35-40 yards, and is doing 11 fpe for 100 shots on a 250cc bottle with 4000 psi fill.
20230213_093503.jpg

Get your wallet out if you want a Crosman 2240 "build".
A "build" usually means buying overpriced parts to replace some of the parts your 2240 already has.
I will not go that route again.

Buy a P700, PP750, PP800, etc or any other PCP pistol for much better performance and lower cost than a "build"
I'm not doing it for the cost or performance I am doing this because it seems like a fun experience and would give me a lot more knowledge about air guns and let connect with the air gun community more.

I've built quite a few myself and they will end up in the $300 range, depending on where you source parts and your hands on skills. My 2240 is currently set up with a 1720 177 barrel and shrouded with 8 baffles. It's quiet as a mouse fart, stacking cheap pellets out to 35-40 yards, and is doing 11 fpe for 100 shots on a 250cc bottle with 4000 psi fill.View attachment 332516
Are the parts for the 22XX and 17XX series interchangeable without any major modification to the gun and would I be able to just drop in a .177 cal barrel to swap between .22 and .177 cal?

Are the parts for the 22XX and 17XX series interchangeable without any major modification to the gun and would I be able to just drop in a .177 cal barrel to swap between .22 and .177 cal?
You'd be hard pressed to find a 1740 or 1760 nowadays, but you can drop in a 177 barrel into the breech as long as you use a 177 bolt probe as well. I swap back and forth all the time. Once you get used to the teardown, it's about a 10 minute process to swap calibers... provided you don't drop anything lol.

Make sure you get an upgraded breech screw, the stock ones almost always strip out since. Magnum Air Power has some very nice torx style ones that will basically last forever and handle the higher pressures you'd be pushing. As long as you have a barrel band, you'll be fine though. I've never personally had a breech pop off, even with a 30 fpe rig.

There is a guy in thailand who manufactures a ready-made kit, I bought it from him and everything arrived fine.

There is also this site, I already bought an eccentric valve from them and adapted it to a Diana pistol.

Diana and Crosman 2240
diana pcp.jpg

crosman.jpg

Reactions: boscoebrea
There is a guy in thailand who manufactures a ready-made kit, I bought it from him and everything arrived fine.

There is also this site, I already bought an eccentric valve from them and adapted it to a Diana pistol.

Diana and Crosman 2240View attachment 333529
View attachment 333528
This is super sick I just checked out his Instagram and I am going to buy some parts from him.