Crosman Vigilante issue with Umarex brand CO2 carts (super weak, but why?)

Happy Easter everyone. So I picked up a Crosman Vigilante at Bass Pro and its my first .177 pellet slinger. Really fun pistol and pretty accurate too.

Anyway, I started out using some Daisy CO2 I had, and I was getting 425 fps with 7.9 grain pellets. Cool. But I heard Umarex High Grade CO2 is supposed to be better and most people get more power with them (25% - 50% depending on the gun from what I saw), so I tried those and it's shooting like 150 fps. Really weak! Pulled that cart and loaded another one from the same box... same result.

I don't shoot a lot of CO2 so hopefully this is some kind of common issue someone can clue me in on? Can a gun be not compatible with Umarex brand CO2 for some reason? Thanks in advance!

25%-50% eh? I hope that made you chuckle but as they were available why not get some C02 carts. Look at a pressure & temp chart for Co2, now way to cheat on the power.

Now really low fps (you are not shooting at 40 degrees right?) could easily be a poorly pierced cart. The caps sealing the carts do differ in hardness/thickness slightly. Crosman carts available at many many stores are generally a good bet.

John

Reactions: silvershooter589
Happy Easter everyone. So I picked up a Crosman Vigilante at Bass Pro and its my first .177 pellet slinger. Really fun pistol and pretty accurate too.

Anyway, I started out using some Daisy CO2 I had, and I was getting 425 fps with 7.9 grain pellets. Cool. But I heard Umarex High Grade CO2 is supposed to be better and most people get more power with them (25% - 50% depending on the gun from what I saw), so I tried those and it's shooting like 150 fps. Really weak! Pulled that cart and loaded another one from the same box... same result.

I don't shoot a lot of CO2 so hopefully this is some kind of common issue someone can clue me in on? Can a gun be not compatible with Umarex brand CO2 for some reason? Thanks in advance!
Like above, go with Crosman.

25%-50% eh? I hope that made you chuckle but as they were available why not get some C02 carts. Look at a pressure & temp chart for Co2, now way to cheat on the power.

Now really low fps (you are not shooting at 40 degrees right?) could easily be a poorly pierced cart. The caps sealing the carts do differ in hardness/thickness slightly. Crosman carts available at many many stores are generally a good bet.

John

This was my primary source for thinking the Umarex would be more powerful. I figured they were all about the same until I saw this:

I thought it was poorly pierced as well, so the second cart I tried I really twisted in to the max, same result. Oh well, maybe my Daisy Powerline 415 will like these Umarex carts better. I'll stick to Crosman or Daisy for the Vigilante.

Appreciate the responses.

Thanks for the link. I basically skip all yotube sthuff but always fun to know where folks get ideas.
A few quick things, 60 seconds between shots for really accurite Co2 testing due to the cooling effects. The barrel and sensors need to be perfectly in line with the chrony sensors for good readings -bench bag is nice) firing at an angle WILL change the readings,
Glanced at his senica .50 (firing "devastators" . Watched him load is totally incorrectly, inserting the "pellet" into the breach instead for the barrel and thought I had spent enough time with his videos.

Ever try the old Crosman 38T ? One of my favorite pistols.

John

Thanks for the link. I basically skip all yotube sthuff but always fun to know where folks get ideas.
A few quick things, 60 seconds between shots for really accurite Co2 testing due to the cooling effects. The barrel and sensors need to be perfectly in line with the chrony sensors for good readings -bench bag is nice) firing at an angle WILL change the readings,
Glanced at his senica .50 (firing "devastators" . Watched him load is totally incorrectly, inserting the "pellet" into the breach instead for the barrel and thought I had spent enough time with his videos.

Ever try the old Crosman 38T ? One of my favorite pistols.

John

This Vigilante is the only Crosman I've shot. Didn't grow up with BB guns and my only other is a Daisy pistol.

A little follow up though. I got some Crosman CO2 at Tractor Supply earlier and put a cart in. Max velocity was 450 fps which was 25 fps higher than the Daisy cart gave me.

So for now I will say the Crosman has a slight advantage. Too bad those Umarex won't puncture properly with this gun, I'd love to see what the hype is about.