Crosman Crosman Standard vs Slim Stock M- 114 Co2 Rifle

Crosman Standard vs Slim Stock M- 114 Co2 Rifle

“Excerpt from my CD “Old Airguns and Memories”

I have on occasion heard /read about the “Slim Stock”, observed on some Crosman 113-114 series Co2 Rifles. I have saw them referred to as Sport Style stocks and or simply a copy of sorts of the Crosman Model 140 stock and used on the 113/114 series rifles, honestly I don’t know for sure how or where the Slim/Sporter style stock originated. But I do have a Model 114 with one! Thought some might like to see one for contrast in real time with the standard stock. Both units equipped with Crosman Peep sights.

I currently have at this time 16 of the 113-114 Rifles and one M-118 and have worked on numerous of these units as well as handled many others over the years and the one Slim Stock I have, is the only one I have seen and handled in person!! I know others must exist!!! (“My current total of the Teen Series Rifles is now 20!!”)

I got the two units covered herein off the internet, both had Peep sights, the slim stock unit breech had come loose and required re-soldering and the full size stock unit required an increase in front sight height to be on at 25 yards, simple addition of a fiber optic rod on top of front sight took care of that. I went thru my normal valve refurbish process on both and decided to refinish each in a Gold color. I stripped the standard stock and refinished in clear poly. The slim stock was in almost pristine condition, two very small minor dents, steamed them out, oiled it and left it as is!!!

Honestly I could not determine any difference in handling characteristics, but aesthetically speaking the slim stock may be more appealing to some, compared to the blockier standard stock, guess it would be in the eye of the beholder! Still trying to make up my mind??

Stocks aside both of these CO2 Rifles, after rebuild, met my standard expectations of a Model 114, an average of 600+ fps over 25-30 shots. The regular stock unit delivered a high of 634 fps first shot and a low of 594 fps on shot 30, for an average of 614 fps for 30 shots @ 11.97 ft. lbs.

The Slim stock unit delivered a high of 637 fps first shot and a low of 580 fps on shot 25 for an average of 609 fps for 25 shots @ 11.87 ft. lbs. Both test utilized Crosman PMHP 14.3 grain pellets. Power adjuster screwed all the way in and backed out one full turn for all testing.

Accuracy tested at 25 yards from bench using the Crosman 14.3 grain PMHP. Both of these rifles hovered around the 1 inch center to center 5 shot groups, best I can do with the Peep sights on these units, .850” -.950”! Obviously a scope could improve grouping, having scopes on most of my others, want to leave some as is, although in reality I don’t have any problems with 1 inch at 25 yards personally.!!

This info was about the Slim Stock vs full stock not accuracy anyway! As I write this I still haven’t made up my mind? I think the Slim Stock is growing on me aesthetically speaking! As far as performance there is of course no difference!! So in the end it’s just a matter of taste and the oddity of the circumstances involving the Slim style Stock!! Others may be able to shed more light on the Slim Stock for the Crosman series rifles?

Always fun stuff with these old Crosman’s!!!

Garey
Slim vs Sportier 01.jpgSlim vs Sportier 03.jpgSlim vs Sportier 03.jpg