• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Crosman Nitro Venom tweaks?

So, I was given a .22 Nitro Venom a couple months ago. Figured, hey, it'll be good for squirrels & such. After a LOT of practice, lots of pellets, and a lot of targets, I need some advice. Using Crosman Ultra Magnum 14.3g dome pellets, and the included Centerpoint 3-9X32 scope, I can consistently put 4 of 5 pellets inside a quarter sized target at 20yds. After reading a lot, and since the gun was free, I dropped $50 bucks on a UTG scope, should arrive tomorrow. My question is this : should I expect better accuracy from this gun, or just be happy I'm getting the groups I have? Will update after the scope comes in, and I've had a chance to play with it.

With a bit (really a lot) of trigger work, and/or a CDT replacement trigger blade, your Venom should be capable of sub one inch groups at 40 yards or more, with the right pellet. The power plant is capable, the barrels are sometimes questionable but usually adequate, the trigger is really the weakest link in the Venom chain. I'd guess that if you're getting sub one inch groups with four out of five, and the trigger is stock, you're already doing your part. Also, I would suggest that your barrel is likely not the problem, with the aforementioned grouping. You may want to experiment with a few different pellets (H&N FTTs and JSB 14.35gr/15.89gr, maybe even Brown Box Crosman Premiers or RWS super domes), and consider smoothing out that (assuming it's stock) trigger. Not ALL Crosman barrels prefer Crosman pellets, and frankly I have found the quality and consistency of Crosman pellets to be a bit "iffy" of late. Since you were given the gun, it is probably worth your while to get a CDT trigger and invest in some quality pellets...that and more practice and you may be surprised what that rifle can do.

Newbie here, things I found when tearing down a new Nitro Venom Dusk 22. Paid $110 new, plus $2.50 for a bearing for the trigger.

Bolts were all loose, and filthy. Cleaned all of the threads of old loctite (none was on barrel pivot!)

Wire brush threads of bolts after removal of loctite, degrease threads of all 3 stock bolts and pivot bolt.

Clean all holes with alcohol and q tips.

Lighlty grease barrel pivot pin

Traxxas 5114 bearing on trigger blade, remove trigger spring, adjuster screw,pin, and plastic threaded piece

Blue Loctite all bolt threads and reassemble.

Cleaned all scope mounting bolts and threads as well.

WD40 on a bore mop, to remove grease.

Lightly grease barrel catch.

this resulted in a 650 FPS rifle using 14.3 gr crosman hollow point 22, with a great trigger and smooth cocking action. So far I can spin my small quarter sized target at 15 yards every time. Its a great looking rifle, but seems a bit under powered. I am gonna try and find a lighter plastic/copper hybrid pellet to up the FPS. I have maybe 75 rounds thru this so far. Seems consistent so far.

Update 6/15 Upped my target placement to 20 yards, and having inconsistent results.

Thanks for having me.....