American Air Arms Crosman Model 160 .22 cal

Excerpt from my CD “Old Airguns and Memories”

Hello to all,
The Crosman Model 160 Pellgun .22 caliber/ M167 .177 cal. dual CO2 cartridge rifles introduced in 1955 were perhaps the most famous of all the CO2 rifles made by Crosman in what has been called the Golden Age of CO2 rifles. The M-160 was used by our Military, USAF being one branch, as a training aid in marksmanship etc. they were provided with sling swivels, S331 peep sights (made by Mossberg) and a military type sling, the NRA also used the M-160 in some of their training programs. The CMP (Civilian Marksmanship Program) also had a number of these rifles as training aids in their programs, in fact my M-160 rifle came from the CMP complete with the operating manual, sling, sealed bottle of Pellgun oil, and USAF Service Tag with serial number, a supply inspection dated 07-APR. 1971, and a final distribution inspection date of JUN. 21, 1985. For some reason my M-160 did not have the sling stock swivels, nor were they with the packaging? The M-160 had a really storied career that lasted from 1955-1971.

Factory specs were listed as follows, weight 5lbs. 10 ounces, overall length 39 ¼ inches, rifled barrel length 21 ½ inches and hardwood stock with a stain finish, approximate muzzle velocity 650 fps. Several sight variations were utilized including the S-331 Peep sight, #360 peep sight and step adjustable open rear sight. Two 12 gm. CO2 cartridges provided the power source.

My M-160 had the safety on the die cast trigger guard, (third variant). One unique feature of the M-160 series was the cocking mechanism, which was bolt operated but utilized the feature of cocking on “closing” not when the bolt was retracted as it was on other Crosman air rifles. This feature satisfied the training aspect for the Military and NRA programs.

Charging the M-160 (make sure rifle is not loaded) required removal of the screw on tube cap, inserting the first 12 grain CO2 cartridge small neck end first and then the 2nd with small neck end muzzle forward, replacing the tube cap, tighten firmly by hand piercing the cartridge and then back off ¼ turn which will release CO2 from the front CO2 cartridge, cock the rifle and fire, this will pierce the 2nd CO2 cartridge and the rifle is now fully charged.

My M-160 came direct from the CMP, it was in extremely good condition, the bluing was excellent no rust or patina anywhere, the stock had a couple of small blemishes (rub marks) most likely from storage bumps. It looked to have been used very little, a very good example indeed. Approximate production date of 1971.
I received my M-160 in 1986 it was in very good shooting condition, and I shot it many times thru the intervening years, when I decided to put this “NOTEBOOK” together in 2014 I gave the rifle another complete valve rebuild, but other than that it is in the same condition as I initially received it.

After the above valve rebuild it was time for some field range testing, as is my normal practice I used three ½ inch adhesive dots on cardstock paper set at 25 yards and shot from a bench rest, 5 shots on each dot. I used 3 pellets, Crosman Discovery -14.3 grains.

JSB Diabolo- 15.9 grains and Predator Poly Mag- 16.1 grains. All Chronographing was performed with muzzle 2 ft. from first sky screen.

The first 5 shot group with Crosman Discovery measured 1.135” (4 into .750”) average velocity 679 fps. 2nd. 5 shot group with JSB Diabolo measured .875” average velocity 631 fps. 3rd 5 shot group with Predator PolyMag measured 1.880” average velocity 565 fps.

A total of 30 shots with the three different pellet weights averaged 623 fps and 13.28 ft. lbs (I averaged the three pellet weights for 15.4 grains. for these figures). A shot count of 40 would be available but one must consider declining velocities after shot #30.

The accuracy test proved one thing for sure my 72-year-old (at the time) eyes did not tolerate a .040” aperture, spider webs were prevalent!! I could have opened the aperture to about 0.80” and probably done much better or certainly a scope would have “dramatically” improved my accuracy results, but I have no intention of making any such changes on this air rifle it will remain as I received it!!

While I was unable to do justice to the accuracy potential of this M-160, because of my reluctance to Scope or make any changes, these rifles if prepared properly can deliver astounding accuracy, a fellow by the name of Ron Robinson, yep same fellow who makes the Classic Scope mounts I have used, has won a Texas State Champion trophy and two NRA national record certificates with a Scoped M-160 .22 caliber (excerpted from his book “Airgun Chronicles”) these M-160 rifles can be very accurate!

The JSB Diabolo .22 pellets would consistently delivery concentric .750” - .875” groups and were the pellet of choice, the Crosman Discovery .22 pellets could almost match the JSB but always gave up a flier in groups, the Predator Poly Mag. .22 pellets simply do not perform well at these velocities at least in my experience! Considering my difficulty with the small aperture on the excellent S331 Peep sight I will be perfectly happy with the groups achieved with the JSB pellets, it is after all minute of Squirrel head at 25 yards!

I am on the lookout for another 3rd variant M-160 that I can set up like I want too which would include a CO2 extension tube set up for bulk fill, a 2-7 x 32 AO scope, set the trigger at about 1.75 -2.00 lbs and in general attend to all areas that would extract the most accuracy possible. As a matter of note this Model -160 did not require a clearance bushing for the action stud as I have done on most other Crosman rifles; it was a very close fit! I believe with the steps outlined above ½ inch groups at 25 yard might be attainable with the right pellet and 50-60 shots possible on a charge.

The Model 160 .22 caliber is legendary and one of the finest air rifles Crosman ever made, if you get the chance, by all means get one before you can no longer find one, you will regret if you don’t!

Garey

Crosman 160-01.jpg
Crosman 160-02.jpg
Crosman 160-03.jpg
Crosman 160-04.jpg
Crosman 160-05.jpg

Nice write up! I'm curious as to how it likes Crosman Premier pellets.

I ended up being a little bit manic about these. I had an early model, but never could get it to group as well as I thought it should (even with Crosman boxed Premiers).

When Tim began importing the QB77 and QB22 that all changed. The current crop of Beeman QB78s also shoot very well with a little accurizing. 0.21" ten-yard groups are now the norm. I didn't know/think that was possible with a .22.

Cheers,

J~

Hope you don't mind if I chime in with a few details, Gary.

The 160 I used to win those awards is an early (1950s vintage), thumb-safety model Sears & Roebuck Ted Williams Match Rifle 160 variant. It averages 7/8" groups at 50 yards with its preferred 14.3 grain JSBs, and shoots 14.3 Premiers about as well. I used the 2-7X Marksman scope pictured to whip the finest Euro-springers; including HW, Air Arms, and Whiscombe. Most of them were topped with 12X to 24X Leupolds.

TW 160 trophies.JPG

I've since also gotten into the Chinese 160 copies; for decades converting them to regulated HPA bottle with great results at the highest levels of target competition. In fact I took second place with my first QB air-bottle conversion at the 2007 FT National Championsips, only behind a cheater who's since been banned from field target. So that wall-plaque is actually a National Champion award-

AR Nats trophy.JPG

Parts of that QB survive on my latest iteration of it, now on a custom stock I had built for a Crosman 160 in the late 1970s. Here's the final iteration, my latest Hunter Class FT rifle-

QBG.jpg

Practicing with it last night by spotlight, I shot my best-ever ten-shot group at fifty yards from stool-and-bipod, seated Hunter Class shooting position. The ten-shot group fired with new 10.5 grain Benjamin pellets at 920 FPS measures just .595" center-to-center! That was in a light, left-to-right crosswind, and that's an American nickel-

1708463200722.png

QBG nickle group.jpg

Gonna kick more Euro-gun butt at an FT match this-coming Saturday with this 50 year-old project gun, that started with a Crosman 160.

Last edited:

The 160 I used to win those awards is an early (1950s vintage), thumb-safety model Sears & Roebuck Ted Williams Match Rifle 160 variant. It averages 7/8" groups at 50 yards with its preferred 14.3 grain JSBs, and shoots 14.3 Premiers about as well. I used the 2-7X Marksman scope pictured to whip the finest Euro-springers; including HW, Air Arms, and Whiscombe. Most of them were topped with 12X to 24X Leupolds.

View attachment 437524

I've since also gotten into the Chinese 160 copies; for decades converting them to regulated HPA bottle with great results at the highest levels of target competition. In fact I took second place with my first QB air-bottle conversion at the 2007 FT National Championsips, only behind a cheater who's since been banned from field target. So that wall-plaque is actually a National Champion award-

View attachment 437526

Parts of that QB survive on my latest iteration of it, now on a custom stock I had built for a Crosman 160 in the late 1970s. Here's the final iteration, my latest Hunter Class FT rifle-

View attachment 437535

Practicing with it last night by spotlight, I shot my best-ever ten-shot group at fifty yards from stool-and-bipod, seated Hunter Class shooting position. The ten-shot group fired with new 10.5 grain Benjamin pellets at 920 FPS measures just .595" center-to-center! That was in a light, left-to-right crosswind, and that's an American nickel-

View attachment 437562

View attachment 437563

Gonna kick more Euro-gun butt at an FT match this-coming Saturday with this 50 year-old project gun, that started with a Crosman 160.

Ron ,
Glad to have to looking in and for sure your comments are most welcome , glad to hear you are still around! Thanks for sharing your info! Continued success in your endeavors !!!!
Garey

Reactions: AirNGasman
Nice write up! I'm curious as to how it likes Crosman Premier pellets.

I ended up being a little bit manic about these. I had an early model, but never could get it to group as well as I thought it should (even with Crosman boxed Premiers).

When Tim began importing the QB77 and QB22 that all changed. The current crop of Beeman QB78s also shoot very well with a little accurizing. 0.21" ten-yard groups are now the norm. I didn't know/think that was possible with a .22.

Cheers,

J~
Treefrog;
Thanks for looking in and your comments.

Personally I always had fliers with Crosman pellets , used them for plinking.

Garey

Reactions: Treefrog
Thanks for this awesome write up and test data. I have the exact same 160 with the manual and tag and leather strap. No oil though. I got lucky and found one in Canada in excellent condition. The 160 is a rifle I remember seeing on the wall of a local air rifle store in the early 90’s named GVR. Looking at all the amazing stuff they sold I really wish I could go back in time and shop there without my dad, who was a no fun principal. Just seeing an actual crosman 160 brings me such joy and nostalgia to being an excited kid.

View attachment 437524

View attachment 437526

View attachment 437535

View attachment 437562

View attachment 437563

That Sears pic got me thinking where have I seen that before? I know now it's in a closet, forgot I had it. Dry fired and it was holding CO2 and shooting fine.