Crosman CROSMAN ICON SAFETY RECALL!!

Momar2

Feb 29, 2024
Luckily noone was injured.

Important Safety Information:
Recall of Crosman Icon Air Rifle​

Dear Valued Crosman Customer,

Crosman has received a report of an incident involving a Crosman ICON Air Rifle. While no one was injured, Crosman has decided to recall all Crosman ICON Air Rifles. The affected Crosman Icon air rifles are the following models:

Crosman Icon .177 Caliber, Model CLI177S
Crosman Icon .22 Caliber, Model CLI22S

Our records show that you purchased an affected air rifle directly from Crosman.

We ask that you immediately stop using this product and store it in a safe location. We will be in touch after the government has approved the details of our recall.

Please contact us if you have any immediate questions. You can reach Customer Service by calling 800-724-7486, Monday - Friday, 8:00am - 4:30pm ET.

Thank you for your cooperation.
Crosman Customer Service​

Last edited:
Note member @rdpjr6504 called attention to this concern back in December:

They called me directly after emailing them about the issue and I spoke with them on the phone about it for an hour in December. They were adamant it was the first they had heard about it. When there is a safety issue it should be taken up with the company directly not just posted about on a forum. Contrary to what many seem to believe only a small percentage of the market even knows these forums exist. It could've easily caused an injury.

Last edited:
What keeps any air rifle with a hammer preloaded against the poppet stem or even and possibly worse in free flight gapped condition from not potentially depressing the poppet if the rifle is dropped on the muzzle? I have often wondered why there is not a cross hammer secondary safety block that would prevent the hammer from striking the poppet stem and which must be manually disengaged and if not then even releasing the sear safety and pulling the trigger would only result in the hammer slamming against the cross hammer block. Or likewise if dropped on the muzzle. But people generally hate such hammer blocks on other types of rifles.

What keeps any air rifle with a hammer preloaded against the poppet stem or even and possibly worse in free flight gapped condition from not potentially depressing the poppet if the rifle is dropped on the muzzle? I have often wondered why there is not a cross hammer secondary safety block that would prevent the hammer from striking the poppet stem and which must be manually disengaged and if not then even releasing the sear safety and pulling the trigger would only result in the hammer slamming against the cross hammer block. Or likewise if dropped on the muzzle. But people generally hate such hammer blocks on other types of rifles.
Pressure.

The issue here is when it is bumped on the stock, not the muzzle.

They have a tolerance for a "burp" which is about all you can get from a muzzle impact because of the pressure in the valve. They test this extensively on every PCP rifle they make.

The Icon will fire a full powered shot when decocked, at low pressure (around 1500-2000 psi) and bumped sharply on the stock. It's due to the rebound of the bounce off the hammer spring. Huge potential for injury or death.

Reactions: 3Crows
If Crosman recalled the ICON for this, then AEA should recall their entire semiauto line starting with the AEA HP.

The AEA HP gets pellets in the trigger area which makes the trigger shoot or not depending on your luck.
But if your trigger fails working and a pellet is stuck in the barrel you luck is short lived.

So **** AEA!

Crosman is many times better than all other US air gun manufacturers or distributors.

AEA is at the bottom, right under Hatsan.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Momar2 and 3Crows
If Crosman recalled the ICON for this, then AEA should recall their entire semiauto line starting with the AEA HP.

The AEA HP gets pellets in the trigger area which makes the trigger shoot or not depending on your luck.
But if your trigger fails working and a pellet is stuck in the barrel you luck is short lived.

So **** AEA!

Crosman is many times better than all other US air gun manufacturers or distributors.

AEA is at the bottom, right under Hatsan.
Yes. The AEA semi auto is going to get someone hurt or killed. These kinds of issues are downplayed by the enthusiasts because we have a higher level of safety training and can fix them but they will eventually hurt someone that won't keep their mouth shut and it will cause havoc in the industry. Most true semi auto and ALL full auto air rifles should be discontinued. They'll find out the hard way eventually.

This industry is advancing faster than it should and some of the people designing the guns shouldn't be designing anything. The forums contain a very small and biased percentage of consumers that tend to lobby for features that cannot be safely offered to the general public. When the manufacturers hone in on and cater to the desires of this small and biased sample of feedback, it can skew their perception and safety issues that will affect the larger percentage can be ignored to the point of disaster.

Last edited:
Not only did I post about this issue I also contacted and did not get a reply. I have since purchased the BEEMAN RAIDER to tinker with and guess what- It does the same burp when you bump the stock. I have adjusted hammer spring in and out but still does it. It is the same design as the ICON and BARRA 1100Z. The 1100Z has been out a while and have not heard of anyone complain about this issue. If you have a BARRA 1100Z try to bump stock UNLOADED and see if you get the burp of air and please let me know. A debounce devise of some sort may be what the rifle needs.

Not only did I post about this issue I also contacted and did not get a reply. I have since purchased the BEEMAN RAIDER to tinker with and guess what- It does the same burp when you bump the stock. I have adjusted hammer spring in and out but still does it. It is the same design as the ICON and BARRA 1100Z. The 1100Z has been out a while and have not heard of anyone complain about this issue. If you have a BARRA 1100Z try to bump stock UNLOADED and see if you get the burp of air and please let me know. A debounce devise of some sort may be what the rifle needs.
Any gun that uses the same generic Chinese tube and heavy hammer will do it no question. It's just that Crosman sells many, many more guns than Barra or Beeman. If you ask an average consumer what Crosman makes, they all know. Ask them about Beeman, very few know. Ask about Barra, almost none will know.

Considering the 1100Z is probably Barra top seller, it would possibly put them out of business to have to pay everyone back for all of them. Quickly shows why there should be more concern with the products a company is importing and reselling.

The basic design fault with any air rifle in which a (especially heavy) hammer is preloaded against the exhaust poppet when not cocked by the hammer spring or the hammer is free floating when not cocked could suffer the same issue if bumped or dropped of the hammer coming forward from either bouncing off the hammer spring or being accelerated sufficient that the mass of the hammer could offset the poppet. The solution is a hammer block that would physically block the hammer from striking the exhaust poppet stem.

Many of us modify these rifles with heavy or light hammers, different weight hammer springs and valve poppet springs. All bets are off as to what might happen if dropped without a cross hammer block.

And another basic design issue with many air rifles is the lack of a cocked indicator. If nothing else it would reduce the double feeding that occurrs when running the lever or bolt to determine of the rifle is cocked or not. Of course air rifles are not the only arms that suffer this malady.

There seems to be some speculation on the "other" forum that Crosman could possibly send out parts to average consumers, which includes children, so they can take these apart and 'fix' them their selves. There's somewhere between a 0 and 0.00% chance that will happen. Another case where this microcosm of enthusiasts incorrectly believes that forum members are more than a small percentage of the market.

I don't think Crosman will be sending any parts. I called the 800 number today and spoke to a gentleman who I have dealt with many times in the past. He is very knowledgable and has helped me out in more than 1 instance. Our conversation was about the ICON. He could not or would not say why they were recalled and could not or would not tell me if they were being repaired or refunded. He did tell me to remove all my upgrades and aftermarket parts and he sent 2 UPS shipping return labels to my email. Not sure if I am sending them back but just want to see what everyone feels should be done. Any input is appreciated. Thank you

I don't think Crosman will be sending any parts. I called the 800 number today and spoke to a gentleman who I have dealt with many times in the past. He is very knowledgable and has helped me out in more than 1 instance. Our conversation was about the ICON. He could not or would not say why they were recalled and could not or would not tell me if they were being repaired or refunded. He did tell me to remove all my upgrades and aftermarket parts and he sent 2 UPS shipping return labels to my email. Not sure if I am sending them back but just want to see what everyone feels should be done. Any input is appreciated. Thank you
I'm going to wait until the government report comes out. They will eventually say what the issue is in the incident report as it is required. I feel it's better for Crosman to just come clean and say what the issue is which we all already have a pretty damn good idea. Although I'm sure their lawyers are the ones issuing the gag order on employees.

The other issue it had brand new was phantom cocking from a really rough sear surface which could potentially cause a gun to randomly fire without the trigger being pulled. Another issue that was expressly discussed on the phone when I spoke to them. I filed and polished the sears right away so I completely forgot about that issue. Either issue is NO BUENO for the average consumer.

If I were them I wouldn't drag my feet too long because both the bump fire and the phantom cocking could easily kill someone under certain circumstances.