• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Crosman Crosman Icon for $129.99 - free shipping

Thank you sir. For what it’s worth, all of the steps except facing off the muzzle were done with inexpensive hand tools like a drill. The facing can be done other ways, it’s just quicker in the lathe.

Even the lapping setup is pretty modest. The main tools are a ball-bearing rod, small solder pot, heat gun, and a shopmade fixture. Big thanks to Mike (@thomasair) for the inspiration to get off my butt and do it.

Reactions: nobody1 and Danoh
Thank you sir. For what it’s worth, all of the steps except facing off the muzzle were done with inexpensive hand tools like a drill. The facing can be done other ways, it’s just quicker in the lathe.

Even the lapping setup is pretty modest. The main tools are a ball-bearing rod, small solder pot, heat gun, and a shopmade fixture. Big thanks to Mike (@thomasair) for the inspiration to get off my butt and do it.
What ball bearing rod do you recommend?

The two purchased rods I use are Pro-Shot and they are nice quality rods, but I've also made a couple using cheap generic ball bearings and they work just as well so I expect most any ball-bearing rod is suited to the task.
Those purchased rods, at rifle barrel length (24"-30"), are close to $40, which is more than I want to spend.
How did you make the other rods?

Take a plain cleaning rod and remove the handle. Order some bearings of the proper ID and use retaining compound or red threadlocker to bond them to the rod:
bearings.jpg

For the rod pictured here, I made a handle with a piece of 3/4" aluminum bar stock, but for a previous one I simply used a cutoff from a wood dowel.
handle.jpg

My barrel crowns looked like yours, still my 2 Crosman Icons are very accurate.
That's good since I have no idea how to cut and recrown a barrel anyways :)
Mine shoots very accurate too guys for the $129.00 Crossman Christmas special. I am truly stunned that this inexpensive rifle is shooting so well. I wish I would have bought another one while they were on sale. I'm shooting the Norma pellets as well I got from Pyramid Air for $9.99 for 4 cans and getting similar accuracy at 25 yards. I wish I had the skills and a lathe to attempt cutting and crowning the barrel too. But you only get one shot at it and the barrels ruined if you do it wrong. Happy New Years!

Reactions: nobody1
The barrel on my .22 Icon showed good promise so I decided to give it a little attention. First up was to remove the front sight. I was expecting it to put up a fight so I made a simple slide hammer with a scrap of wood. Before warming up the sight to soften it, I gave it a couple of moderate strikes with the slide hammer and it popped right off. Turns out it simply had a brittle adhesive holding it and a flat for indexing.
View attachment 419330

Starting at the leade, I used a generic Cratex point and wet/dry sandpaper to break the sharp step in the rifling. Then I poured a cast lap and worked the bore. There were two tight zones at approximately 25% and 75% of the way from the breech which took a bit of work to blend out. Here's a pic of the lap after the job was done.
View attachment 419331

Then it was time to deal with the irregular factory crown
View attachment 419332

After cutting it back and recrowning:
View attachment 419333

Then cleaned the bore and reinstalled the barrel and pulled some patches with Johnson's wax. Waited a bit for the solvent to evaporate from the wax, then grabbed the Norma 17.6gr domes to shoot some test groups. It seems to have responded nicely. The first 3 groups at 30 yards measured 0.22", 0.36", and 0.19". Average of 0.257" or 0.82 MoA.
View attachment 419335
Thanks for the tip on getting the front sight off. I couldn't find a screw to remove so just left it on. I'll try your method as it will look better without it!

Finally got mine yesterday, did a few mods. Redesigned and printed a barrel band and was able to use an old scope that fits well. swabbed the barrel and laser bore sighted. It's holding air so that's a plus. hopefully get time to dial it in tomorrow.

View attachment 415884

View attachment 415885
Someone on eBay is using my pic and stl file selling on eBay now.

IMG_0221.png

Reactions: nobody1
Someone on eBay is using my pic and stl file selling on eBay now.

View attachment 424617
Thank you for your barrel bands.
I have one each on my 2 Icons.

The ebay guy is a jerk.
You should state that your design is only for personal use,
Or if they sell it they should pay you somehow.

If you add printing material cost, 3D printing power consumption, and shipping, it will cost $8 - $10 to make a single barrel band.
Why are they doing that ?

I don’t have anything licensed as non commercial so anyone can do whatever they like. Just kinda erks me they are using my pics listed there as those aren’t downloadable. I actually revised that barrel band and cleaned it up and resized pic rail as that one was slightly undersized.
I like your original barrel bands and they are good enough for me.

Just got an email that Icons are on a recall.

Important Safety Information:
Recall of Crosman Icon Air Rifle​

Dear Valued Crosman Customer,

Crosman has received a report of an incident involving a Crosman ICON Air Rifle. While no one was injured, Crosman has decided to recall all Crosman ICON Air Rifles. The affected Crosman Icon air rifles are the following models:

Crosman Icon .177 Caliber, Model CLI177S
Crosman Icon .22 Caliber, Model CLI22S

Our records show that you purchased an affected air rifle directly from Crosman.

We ask that you immediately stop using this product and store it in a safe location. We will be in touch after the government has approved the details of our recall.

Please contact us if you have any immediate questions. You can reach Customer Service by calling 800-724-7486, Monday - Friday, 8:00am - 4:30pm ET.

Thank you for your cooperation.
Crosman Customer Service​