Crosman has Released a .457 Benjamin Bulldog

Seems like a bit low power for a 457. I bet it would be great for round ball or lighter ammo.

Winchester 70 - 200FPE, Seneca 909 - 205 FPE, Hatsan Hercules Bully -290 FPE, AEA Challenger Bullpup - 400 FPE, Airforce Texan Carbine Standard - 400 FPE, AEA Challenger Standard rifle - 450 FPE, Benjamin Bulldog 450 FPE.

While is doesn’t have anywhere near the power of a Texan CF series or a Hatsan Piledriver, it stacks up very well with the other current offerings available. 

I’m thrilled and disappointed at the same time with the new .457 Bulldog. I’m happy that Benjamin/Crossman has more than one big bore caliber available now with this addition. The big bore market is definitely growing and I like the fact that it’s made here in the USA. I do wish that they took the opportunity to make a few tweaks for improvement on a rifle that debuted back in 2015. The fill port cover is a little cheesy, they are probably using the same aluminum cocking lever that’s a weak point, it’s got a plastic safety right in front of nice looking aluminum trigger, and it should have at least a 250 bar fill. Plus it’s downright ugly in my opinion because of the shroud. Yes I’m nitpicking here, but I do own one and wish these things were changed on my .357 Bulldog. I do really like the longer air tube, I would assume that it would work on the .357 but there are already aftermarket options available with a higher fill pressure. I would still like to have one and looking forward to seeing what tuning and a few mods will do power wise.

+1 on wishing they made some changes. With the new partnership with the Turkish airgun manufacturer, I was hoping it would get a nice Turkish walnut stock. At the very least I hope they fixed the weak side lever. I would imagine the spring is stronger on the .457. With Rich Dudek (airgunrevisions.com) as a consultant on that project I’m 99% certain they at least upgraded the lever. 

@cannonball and @legionair One of the first things I did was look at the specs to see if they made any major changes. It’s odd that there are companies like Pitbull Airguns and Veradium Air out there designing some nice parts and performing outstanding modifications to the Bulldog platform and Crossman didn’t seem to collaborate with them to incorporate anything new that customers see to be drawn towards. To release a different version of a gun knowing it has documented flaws is a bit confusing to me. I’m sure it would cost money to redesign, but I’d think the money would comeback in the form of reinvigorating their existing consumer base prompting them to upgrade, as well as attracting new airgun enthusiasts to the brand. 

As a hunting rifle, the safety is loud when disengaging and re-engaging. In fact they would ditch the cheap plastic safety.The plastic clamshell lower components are squeaky. The fill port cover is cumbersome where you have to squeeze the tabs to remove it. This sucks to deal with wearing medium to thick gloves. The cover also feels cheaply made around the tabs. It feels as if breaking them is imminent every other time I remove it. The overall design works for me, but it would be nice if the Bulldog was more well balanced as far as weight distribution. I like the look, but it seems to be a “love it” or “hate it” thing for most others. And as y’all stated, the side lever should be replaced - with steel. If you replace the stock spring with something stiffer, bye bye cocking lever. I haven’t held a .457 nor have I shot one, but I would have been seriously motivated to expedite getting my hands on one if these sort of improvements had been made.

if you look at the numbers from pyramyd air it says 760fps for 450fpe... that means they are using around a 350gr slug.. that would be about the same as my texan 457ss. thats pretty good for 3000psi.. you know the custom shops will already be looking to mod out this gun so i see this gun putting out over 500fpe by deer season lol

Reactions: RM.510bigbore
We will see what the price differnce is on the mod, but I never know where to get rid of a rifle and haven't seen many posts on the classifieds for Bulldogs. 

Veradium will probably be able to add a little extra "juice" with the mod than buying the stock .457 from Benjamin, as well.

Lol. Stick around a little while longer my friend. To answer your previous question to @bthurman, I believe he has been working on this modification for a while. I’m under the impression that it’s more complicated than swapping out barrels and pellet probes. I’ll let him fill you in on the details. If you’re genuinely interested give him a call. I’m more than confident he will answer most of your questions so long as you don’t ask for proprietary information. Ask him about the power levels of his mods. His work isn’t cheap. I honestly don’t know if I would trust a cheap modification job. 

Here’s a newly released video with a breakdown of features of the .457 Benjamin Bulldog. https://m.youtube.com/watch?trk_msg=BNL0M39KI064JCLQHTA27MNQAO&trk_contact=2HVLQOQ26H5RHN1G737I2DE6VK&trk_sid=51S174N8BEPVKRVH8HGBJDS5C8&trk_link=9EGSB13EQSO4LBQC7BUBIC0IJ0&utm_source=Listrak&utm_medium=Email&utm_term=See+Tyler’s+Latest+Review+on+Pyramyd+Insyder&utm_campaign=benjamin-bulldog-457-breakdown&utm_content=NEW+LTK1+-+General+Promotion&v=A_fuQC_Ym3I&feature=youtu.be

Well the Taurus does 370FPE w a 185g based off the BD357 platform and .75 inch groups at 200yds
Sooooo yes we have torn down the 457, in a nutshell it is a 357 with a 457 barrel and probe, they have raked the stock valve face back sligtly more allowing for a bit more air flow, they also installed a heavier hammer spring, slighlty longer airtank. As well they added a trianguler shape support that sits between the stock halfs for better support. The cocking handle has been made thicker. In my initial test 380 was best it would do with there 350g slug at 3000psi. That being said yep time to see how well we can get her singing. Over the next 2 weeks I will be making changes to the 457 platform (code name Brahma) and keep folks posted here if they are interested in the results. The 350 is too heavy IMHO, we will be testing the new setup with 260g, 288g, 300g, 330g hollowpoint and spitzer rounds.

Reactions: CamronN7