Crosman F4 Adult Precision Air Rifle -- Review

It started with a dollar store dart gun, went to nerf, currently on my first air rifle I've ever owned! I've read a lot of info about this gun. My first impression, pulling it out of the box was, wow, this is definitely adult in size and weight. Cocking it for the first time, I realized this ain't the pellet gun I played with in the 70's!! (It didn't come with the case, but that was only like $10 or $20)

1542233546_15562864235bec9dcaef6149.36906563_20181114_142235[1].jpg

1542235149_15106254735beca40d722ee2.23101189_20181114_142922.jpg

I bought it 10.03.2018 and already have over 500 rounds through it. $79 and it comes with a sweet CenterPoint 4x32 scope??? No complaints at all. I used at least 3 different types of ammo before I understood that different ammo comes out differently. I beat up a lot of targets and didn't write down any data on them. Then I went to the internet and learned a couple things. I decided I wanted a better scope and went with the Winchester 2-7x32 AO. Very nice scope. One problem: the rings that come with it don't have a set screw for the rear ring. I went ahead and used them anyway, bad mistake. The scope kept shifting around and I personally believe that the tape they put inside the rings is part of the problem. After switching to new scope, I could not find zero at all. I was bummed. I learned about the Leapers AccuShot one-piece mount and blue loctite. That gave me an idea. I decided to pull that tape and apply blue loctite to every screw, inside the scope rings where the tape was (not sure if that was a good/bad idea) and on the dovetail where the rings mount, as well as the set screw. I went back to the original rings that came with the CenterPoint scope since those have the set screw. However, they are lower in height compared to the rings that came with the Winchester scope, so I can see the top of the flared barrel at the bottom of the scope. Bit of a bummer.

After loctiting the crap out of my scope and letting it set up for ~24 hours, I started shooting strictly .177 Crosman Premier Pointed 7.4 gr. 

1542233963_13964893655bec9f6b7cee54.87889419_PY-P-108_Crosman-Hunting-177-Cal_1500409007.jpg

Now, I'm shooting 30 feet, indoors, and at least 1, usually 2 or 3 out of a 5-shot group were flyers. Even in that picture you can see the seem and imperfections. This ammo should be pulled from the shelves.

Next, I shot the .177 Crosman Copper Magnum 10.6gr

1542234188_19043514245beca04ce3cff7.68345835_PY-P-1352_Crosman-Premier-Copper-Magnum_1465908392.jpg

I will let the results speak for themselves:

1542235381_265852155beca4f5e50d14.71550687_20181114_153332.jpg

1542235401_19774242385beca50968e4c5.79150565_20181114_153412.jpg

1542235418_1080449745beca51a14db06.05582638_20181114_153441.jpg

1542235431_12917977575beca5277d1ac8.76878761_20181114_153502.jpg

1542235446_4348916715beca536cd0bf0.61702390_20181114_152705.jpg

1542235467_13972578795beca54bbeda87.07136953_20181114_152720.jpg

I have found my ammo and I am sticking with it. It's lead free and the quality of each pellet is top notch. I love what Crosman says about them: "improved rifling engagement". They definitely fit tighter than those cheap pointers. I'm willing to bet this ammo works good in all these rifles because it comes from the same manufacturer. 

Additionally, I've read a lot of "fixes" for the trigger. Personally, I don't like the idea of pulling apart a brand new rifle and modding it before I even get to know it. I found this ADJUSTMENT video and tried it. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OauTYJzevms

WOW. Bumping up against that back wall (second stage) is NICE, then holding it there until you're ready to fire made me way more accurate. Don't forget the artillery grip!

Final Thoughts: This is an amazing rifle for the price. Powerful at ~1200 fps, accurate once you figure some things out and just fun to shoot. Get ready for a workout!!

I absolutely can not wait to take this thing varmint hunting!!

Great to see Your having Fun,Daniel! Thats what it's All About! (Not the Hokey Pokey,that was just a rumor.)

Good Shooting Too,btw! Thanks for posting and be safe.

Mike.

PS, When operating a break barrel or underlever air rifle,ALWAYS be Sure to secure the barrel/lever with Your off hand! (I just watched the video. The person who made that should Definitely know better,Especially considering it's a "how to" video.)

LOL! Fingers are overrated ya know!

Right. He keeps referring to "hitting the wall". It's quite likely that what he ends up "hitting" is the local Trauma Center! (Hopefully NOT!).

Certainly don't want to Not restrain that barrel...ESPECIALLY while fiddily-futzin around with trigger adjustments!! Ei Chihuahua!!! Made me want to close MY eyes!

Well you have your toe in the pond. Its a slippy slope be careful you can very quickly fine yourself spending big money on this stuff. $100 guns turn into $1000 guns (just so ya know)

So, how much to get the other 4 toes in? Is there like a minimum amount of $$ you have to spend before you get respect? Trust me, I've seen the phenomenon you speak of before, in the world of racing RC toys. Grown men acting like children? Check! I prefer beating those guys with "inferior equipment", because everything depends on the skill of the driver (or shooter...or bowler...or golfer, etc.) Reminds me...this course rat wanted to pair up with me because I had a cart. He couldn't wait to tell me about his Ricky Fowler Venom driver that he just bought...for like $600, which was a steal!! Imagine his surprise when I outdrove him with the driver out of my full set of TiTech clubs that I got from...you guessed it...the same place I got my Crosman F4...WALMART. The set was on clearance for $50!!! LMAO Not only did I outdrive him, I beat him on that hole. Just like the guys with the $1000 setups at the RC track that I beat on with my $300 ECX Ruckus. Talk about FUN!!!!

Well you have your toe in the pond. Its a slippy slope be careful you can very quickly fine yourself spending big money on this stuff. $100 guns turn into $1000 guns (just so ya know)

So, how much to get the other 4 toes in? Is there like a minimum amount of $$ you have to spend before you get respect? Trust me, I've seen the phenomenon you speak of before, in the world of racing RC toys. Grown men acting like children? Check! I prefer beating those guys with "inferior equipment", because everything depends on the skill of the driver (or shooter...or bowler...or golfer, etc.) Reminds me...this course rat wanted to pair up with me because I had a cart. He couldn't wait to tell me about his Ricky Fowler Venom driver that he just bought...for like $600, which was a steal!! Imagine his surprise when I outdrove him with the driver out of my full set of TiTech clubs that I got from...you guessed it...the same place I got my Crosman F4...WALMART. The set was on clearance for $50!!! LMAO Not only did I outdrive him, I beat him on that hole. Just like the guys with the $1000 setups at the RC track that I beat on with my $300 ECX Ruckus. Talk about FUN!!!!

like any hobby the sky is the limit . You only have to go as far as you like. I have always figured the worst carpenter needs the best tools😄

My experience with air rifles is that you have to at least have a decent trigger to shoot well. That has been my objection to the real inexpensive stuff.

I figure I shoot my air guns a lot so I justify having more money invested them makes sense

Reactions: b1gdan0
@b1gdan0, I have owned exactly the Walmart gun you also bought, as well as another version of the Crosman F4 from Walmart that has a "de-tuned" nitro piston spring - meaning it shoots pellets at about 580 feet per second instead of the 1000+ fps you get with the standard version. In both cases my guns loved Loved LOVED the H&N Field Target Trophy (FTT) pellets at 8.6 grains. I still have the de-tuned F4 (donated the standard to a Christian airgunner group) and love shooting it.

DO NOT BE AFRAID OF TAKING THE STOCK OFF OF YOUR RIFLE TO ADDRESS THE TRIGGER! I'd never done anything like that and discovered that working on these Crosman nitro pistons is simple and not risky. I looked at two different videos on YouTube regarding the "Crosman Trigger Fix": the first involved replacing the small trigger adjustment screw behind the trigger with a longer screw, and the second shows how to remove the "Lawyer spring" behind the trigger shoe and replace it with a small RC bearing. Having made both of those very simple modifications to my triggers (both guns), the trigger now breaks around 1 lb on each without any creep whatsoever. The best part, for you, is that both the bearing and the replacement screw are RC parts to begin with and your experience should make obtaining them a breeze.

Put simply, that $70 Walmart gun can become a tack-driver out to 30 yards, and shoot 1" groups at 50 yards with no more than $6 in outlay and a little confidence in your wrench-and-screwdriver skills. Go for it! If I can get those guns shooting great, anybody can.

@bubblerboy64 I hear you, and I'm new to this, so I appreciate all the feedback. The trigger is a bit stiff, but now that it's adjusted to hit that 2nd stage and I can feel it, my confidence in this rifle has shot way up. See below!

@ironlion269 I'm curious about the screw replacement. I might actually have the screw (and the bearing, for that matter). What does replacing the screw accomplish? Is this something you have to do in conjunction with the rc bearing?

Edit: Where can I find those pellets you speak of? Any brick and mortars carry them, like Dicks Sporting Goods?

Pretty happy with this result!!!

1542300766_19233942135beda45ebed660.74012553_20181115_093425.jpg

Those copper coated 10.6gr Crosman pellets don't shoot very well and are not worth the price that even Walmart sells them for

so if you are only limited to Walmart pellets then I strongly suggest you try the 7.9gr Crosman Premier Hollowpoints and the 10.5gr

Premier Ultra Magnums and there is no question and I am sure you will get better results than what you just got.

If you are going to order pellets then order them from Pyramid Air and take advantage of the pay for 3 and get the 4th free deal and 

coupon special click on the banner above and also free shipping for orders for over $150.00 purchase.

I would buy H&N Field Target Trophys in the 4.52 and 4.53 head sizes to see which one your gun likes best.

I would also buy Air Arms Heavy Field 10.3gr but out of stock right now so buy the JSB Exact version 10.34gr, 

Air Arms diabolo Field 8.44gr but they are out so the JSB Exacts 8.44gr 4.52. Right there is your 3 plus 1 free.

At least use the 10% coupon on top of that if you don't intend to spend $150.00 for the free shipping.

These pellets are good to have handy for any new gun you want to find out what they like the best because they

are already proven accurate in many guns.

I have tried many different pellet samplers and too many of the selections were rubbish which I wouldn't even

consider buying anyway IMHO.

CA

The screw in the trigger is a 3mm X 5mm and you replace it with a 3mm x 8mm or 3mm X 10mm screw. ( it only needs to be adjusted one thread deeper than the stock screw) You don't even have to remove the barrel if you don't want to, but I suggest you do so you can pull the "lawyer spring" from the smallest pin in the trigger as well. It's the one that looks like a brush spring. If you have any Xray or Shumachers, it's pretty much the same as every chassis bolt. If you don't have calipers to measure, ask the hobby shop for medium length motor screws.

If you install a bearing, don't change the screw as you would end up adjusting it back to OEM because of the bearing height. The bearing is a 5mm x 8mm x 2.5mm is the maximum size where the cocking and safety will work correctly on a Crossman NP. Do NOT try a 5x10 sedan wheel bearing. I had a 15 year old Gamo and the 5x8 was too much of a hair trigger, even with the screw backed way off. Luckily I found a bearing in my RC parts that was 7mm tall and it worked just right with the lawyer spring. It may have been a SAE Losi XXX front wheel bearing. Associated and Traxxas both sell the 5x8x2.5.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsdP4yRVPnw

Shopping at walllmart or such do try the crosman premier and or domes and if you seen benjamin dome pellets ( sold at some ace hardware & they can order any crosman product) they are likely a great candidate.With sales coming fast & rapid right now it might be a great time to experience online shopping for some of the above mentioned pellets.

PA always has "buy four & one is free" pellets just remember if buying different types the lowest cost ones will be the "freebies", figure out what it really likes & buy $150( ish ? ) and shipping that lead is free.

Once you get to 30-40 yards your rifles rue pellet preference will show.

And, ya BAD videos ( watched a couple) as danger abounds. Exactly the type that just shouldn't be. Catches the new folks, hey and LOOK they know all these BIG NAME people ( or walked up to them at a show? anyway) and and and. You can learn everything you need to know, to purchase one from this persons videos. But w/out mention to repeatedly show unsafe operation in promotion of a product ( him self ) just isnt right. This person had NEVER met a range master which seems odd for a shooter, oh well. It seemingly did encourage one person to get into airguns and as he was smart enough to post here ( heck and likely already knew to always hold the barrel) and helpful members pointed out the proper operation - nah no up side to his "comments disabled" channel.

John

The Crossman F4 was my first airgun. I gave it to my buddy because I knew I was going to need to supersize. - & You’ll realize that soon too. 970+ft lbs is great - but it’s a .17!...

I know what the box shows that you can hunt -but... & I know the fire that the F4 lit in me. I wanted more...

Get a Hatsan Vortex Edge in .25 -don’t even bother with the included scope - use the sights. It should be <$100. It’s a break barrel so no pumps & other accessorie$. It’s cheap,fun & 2 giant steps ahead.! You can’t get higher than a .22 in the Walmart types in person.Perhaps you can get greater online. Try Ebay or Amazon or pick an air rifle vendor with a good discount. It will be The Best $100 value you will get in airgunning addiction & shopping. Get JSB pellets on a 3 for 4 website 25gr & learn your tool.

This is a “when you’re ready” scenario I’m presenting. I even rccomended skipping the .22s -No offence guys - feel free to state your findings. I just knew I wanted to get past paper targets & needed the occasional varmint go getter. - but then again, I have Amazon Prime...

Anyway,

You’ll be good out to 40 yards with practice & a minimal investment & can knock down/out birds, squirrels & even slightly larger. But I wouldn’t recommend larger than real fat squirrel. But that .25 is a Low Cost Squirrel Smacker! There are better hitters for much more money & outfitting. This is plinking & hunting with authority. I’m sorry it’s not “buy American”. With the Hatsan; but they got a US halfway house - www.hatsanusa.com Check out the refurbs for a steal...

I did purchase Benjamin Bulldog [Crossman] .357 but now you’re into air tanks & compressors & $2K setups...

Good Hunting & Plinking

I already have been looking to supersize...most likely to a Ruger 10/22 rim fire. With air rifles, it seems like you have to buy your accuracy or modify the gun out of the box to get it. I've gone this route before...bought an air rifle only to end up with a Marlin 15-shot barrel fed. That thing was crazy accurate, with only the first shot being the least accurate. Very little recoil and in only ONE direction. I'm still having a blast with my F4. If I do anything to the trigger, it'll be with the trigger kits you can buy...lighter spring, trigger adjustment set screw and shims. The RC bearing thing just doesn't make any sense to me.

I don't think you will be beating ANYONE HERE ON THIS AGN FORUM anytime soon with a Crosman F4 if you are the competitive one upmanship using inferior equipment that defies logic kind of guy and IMHO it is not worth putting any money into it and suggest you buy a better airgun at least something made in Germany such as a Walther Terrus or Parrus from Airguns of Arizona for $149.00 which is a great deal for budget priced quality German air rifles for starters if you want to even attempt to try to beat anyone on the cheap given your RCs for example, it would probably be your best advantage for starters because at least they have GERMAN barrels and engineering powering them backed by a company who is well known for producing accurate guns for a very long time. If you could return the F4 and get your money back then I would... at least that is HALF the price of either Walther rifles that I suggested and they even have wooden stocks to boot...

If you really want to seriously jump into the airgun sport and want a really good accurate spring gun that is worth the investment that will enable effortless one ragged hole groups all day long when shooting in any shooting position then I suggest you look into buying an RWS 54 and that my friend would be one airgun surely worth bragging about and it will outshoot your Ruger 10/22 AND Marlin straight out of the box out to 50 to 60 yards.

PEACE!!! ✌️

Walt

Whoops not quite done yet... Please don't make any further mention of any sort of firearms here even rimfires because this is an airgun forum and you mention you want to get some respect and wondering how much money you have to invest to get some? and put your other four toes in the water? Then turn around mention being better off buying a Ruger 10/22 instead? This is NOT Rimfire Central. This is AIRGUN NATION.

🚫🔫 🎤⤵️

Walt

Ladies and gentlemen, I introduce the elitism that I so despise. I believe I mentioned earlier how familiar with it I am. Thank you for your input, @WaltherV I'll take freedom of speech for a thousand, Alex.

Anyway, moving on from that nonsense, I fabbed up a DIY sling!! The components I stole from are all shown, minus the key rings and latches.

1542392216_1093964755bef0998ef2fc3.77248555_20181116_110337.jpg

1542392231_10073829085bef09a7e151c2.07832426_20181116_110415.jpg

1542392148_4561956725bef0954adb1d5.00849037_20181116_110449.jpg

And yes, @WaltherV, I AM appreciated! 😝