• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Crosman Drifter pistol/carbine

Not long ago I ordered a Crosman Drifter Kit (model 2289CFKT) in .22 cal., the pistol is an upgraded version of the 1322 American Classic pneumatic pistol, I haven't had a chance to shoot it other than for function, the specs from Crosman advertise it's velocity at about 550 FPS while the standard 1322 is rated for 450 FPS, they say that the increase in velocity is due to a longer 14.5 inch barrel and an upgraded valving system, but there seems to be a dispute about the valve upgrade and the advertised stated velocity.

I'm wondering if anyone here has one and has tested it over a Chronograph with 14.3 lead pellets I've had a Crosman 2240 Co2 Pistol for about a year and it's been an outstanding pistol/carbine, I did mod it with a shoulder stock, steel breech, trigger job, a 14.5" barrel, and a Hawke variable scope, but there seems to be a lack of reviews about the newer Drifter pistol.

I've been looking at the Drifter and watched a bunch of YT reviews on it. Can't find one single video where they tested it as a pistol. One of the things that attracted me to it was that it was both a carbine and pistol. Something in my mind is telling me that it would be harder to shoot as a pistol compared to its cousin 1322. SoI'm wondering how it shoots as a pistol?

Reactions: Moe M.
I've been looking at the Drifter and watched a bunch of YT reviews on it. Can't find one single video where they tested it as a pistol. One of the things that attracted me to it was that it was both a carbine and pistol. Something in my mind is telling me that it would be harder to shoot as a pistol compared to its cousin 1322. SoI'm wondering how it shoots as a pistol?
I purchased mine to use as a survival foraging gun for small game at close ranges, I have a 2240 Co2 pistol that I converted to a carbine with the addition of a stock and 14.5" barrel, it also shoots very well, it originally came with a 7-1/2" barrel, I wasn't impressed with it as a pistol, but as a lightweight takedown pellet carbine it does excel.

I have the 2289 and I've been impressed with it. At 15 yards 1" groups all day long with 4 pumps. At 25 yards 6 pumps 1.5-2.0" groups. I'm sure in the hands of someone who doesn't drink coffee it would do better.
If you aren't shooting from a rest I'd suggest you try it just to see where your 2289 shoots, one inch groups at 15 yds. and 1-1'2" groups at 25 yds. is very unusual for that series of Crosman pistol/carbines, I have a 2289 Drifter and the 2240 Co2 version with shoulder stock and 14.5" barrel, both are capable of 1/4" at 15 yds., 1/2" at 25 yds., and 3/4" groups at 35 yds., all from a rest, I can't hold that well off hand, but at least I know that my guns are capable of and gives me a goal to try for when standing on my hind legs shooting off hand.
If shooting from a rest doesn't improve it's accuracy try readjusting the barrel band, it wants to have the same distance between the barrel and air tube from the breech to the muzzle, and the screws that hold the barrel to the tube should be snug (not loose and not tight) too loose or too tight will alter the point of impact.
I'm not a fan of variable pump pneumatics but the Crosman 13xx series of guns are capable of some fine accuracy and reliability.

If you aren't shooting from a rest I'd suggest you try it just to see where your 2289 shoots, one inch groups at 15 yds. and 1-1'2" groups at 25 yds. is very unusual for that series of Crosman pistol/carbines, I have a 2289 Drifter and the 2240 Co2 version with shoulder stock and 14.5" barrel, both are capable of 1/4" at 15 yds., 1/2" at 25 yds., and 3/4" groups at 35 yds., all from a rest, I can't hold that well off hand, but at least I know that my guns are capable of and gives me a goal to try for when standing on my hind legs shooting off hand.
If shooting from a rest doesn't improve it's accuracy try readjusting the barrel band, it wants to have the same distance between the barrel and air tube from the breech to the muzzle, and the screws that hold the barrel to the tube should be snug (not loose and not tight) too loose or too tight will alter the point of impact.
I'm not a fan of variable pump pneumatics but the Crosman 13xx series of guns are capable of some fine accuracy and reliability.
LOL!!! Oh yes sir that is shooting from a bag rest :rolleyes: Ok maybe the groups are a little tighter 3/4" at 15 and 1 1/4" at 25 give or take a 1/16":) I know one thing 1/2" at 25 is not happening I do drink a lot of coffee :rolleyes: I have not doubt in the hands of someone better the 2289 can produce tighter groups. Thanks for sharing your experience at least I know that MAYBE if I stop drinking coffee I have the POTENTIAL the tighter the groups up a bit. The 2289 is a great little carbine and one of the best value out there IMHO🎯.

LOL!!! Oh yes sir that is shooting from a bag rest :rolleyes: Ok maybe the groups are a little tighter 3/4" at 15 and 1 1/4" at 25 give or take a 1/16":) I know one thing 1/2" at 25 is not happening I do drink a lot of coffee :rolleyes: I have not doubt in the hands of someone better the 2289 can produce tighter groups. Thanks for sharing your experience at least I know that MAYBE if I stop drinking coffee I have the POTENTIAL the tighter the groups up a bit. The 2289 is a great little carbine and one of the best value out there IMHO🎯.
Well I like my coffee also, thankfully the Caffeine doesn't affect me the way it seems to bother some folks, I drink the high test stuff, normally a few cups a day, the groups I mentioned are when I do everything right and my concentration is high, I don't always have the attention span to shoot that well, one thing I have noticed is that for me the old saying "Aim small/Shoot small" really does apply.
If I'm shooting at paper my groups open up a bit, but if I'm shooting at small novelty targets like spoons, wooden match sticks, or splitting playing cards my shots tighten up considerably, mostly unless I'm zeroing in a new gun or scope I just shoot for fun, so stacking pellets is not a priority, and I'd rather shoot at action or novelty targets than shooting paper for score, that gets boring.
As for the 2289 Drifter, I got it sighted in for short range (20 yds.) small game foraging as a survival carbine but it's not an every day shooter, I'm not a fan of pumping, most of my shooting is with my break barrel air rifles.
What ever you're shooting just have fun, if it gets to be frustrating or you find yourself working at it, take a breather or find a new hobby.

Last edited:
Reactions: Simplemann
yes, big fan of the drifter kit. Cheap and simple but adding that 3rd point of contact makes a big difference. My pistol was just a bag of parts, so except for a rebuild it's stock.
I run the cheap 3d printed rail and a Bushnell trs-25 red dot. Buddy has a drifter setup as well but runs the nicer rail. For magnified optics that's what you want, but my el cheapo rail has held zero for years.
I also run a Diana Chaser and like the whole pistol carbine setup, would like to go to a longer barrel on the Crosman one day. I tried the shorty barrel on the Chaser once but prefer the performance of the 16" barrel.

Not long ago I ordered a Crosman Drifter Kit (model 2289CFKT) in .22 cal., the pistol is an upgraded version of the 1322 American Classic pneumatic pistol, I haven't had a chance to shoot it other than for function, the specs from Crosman advertise it's velocity at about 550 FPS while the standard 1322 is rated for 450 FPS, they say that the increase in velocity is due to a longer 14.5 inch barrel and an upgraded valving system, but there seems to be a dispute about the valve upgrade and the advertised stated velocity.

I'm wondering if anyone here has one and has tested it over a Chronograph with 14.3 lead pellets I've had a Crosman 2240 Co2 Pistol for about a year and it's been an outstanding pistol/carbine, I did mod it with a shoulder stock, steel breech, trigger job, a 14.5" barrel, and a Hawke variable scope, but there seems to be a lack of reviews about the newer Drifter pistol.

My Drifter has been so heavily modded, it's not even the same gun. 24" tuned barrel, moderator and brass extended bolt probe from MAC1. A 362 Powerplant with a flat top piston and valve. A wider delrin port. Polished lead into the rifling. Stock from Buck Rail. Pump arm and grips were made in my shop. Everything is sealed, bolt to breech, breech to barrel, whole upper part sealed to the lower. Powerful and accurate. 760 fps. These are 3 shot groups at 50 feet.

AGC_20231109_131628593~2.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20230908_155951515~2.jpg
    IMG_20230908_155951515~2.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 10
My Drifter has been so heavily modded, it's not even the same gun. 24" tuned barrel, moderator and brass extended bolt probe from MAC1. A 362 Powerplant with a flat top piston and valve. A wider delrin port. Polished lead into the rifling. Stock from Buck Rail. Pump arm and grips were made in my shop. Everything is sealed, bolt to breech, breech to barrel, whole upper part sealed to the lower. Powerful and accurate. 760 fps. These are 3 shot groups at 50 feet.

My Drifter has been so heavily modded, it's not even the same gun. 24" tuned barrel, moderator and brass extended bolt probe from MAC1. A 362 Powerplant with a flat top piston and valve. A wider delrin port. Polished lead into the rifling. Stock from Buck Rail. Pump arm and grips were made in my shop. Everything is sealed, bolt to breech, breech to barrel, whole upper part sealed to the lower. Powerful and accurate. 760 fps. These are 3 shot groups at 50 feet. It was basically an experiment to see how much performance that I could squeeze out of a basic Crosman pumper.