• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Crosman Custom Shop Purchase .. Shots per CO2

CSA

Jan 17, 2019
MI
1554685287_12352362855caa9d6781dc85.74314168_9B64FFC6-55BD-427A-AD30-72EA55E5C479.jpeg
I just received this pistol (see pic) it’s .177 caliber. I’m only getting about 35 usable shots from a Umarex 80g cartridge. 7 grain pellets seemed to get more than the 8.6 grain which is kinda strange. At any rate, shouldn’t I get at least 40? 

Also .. at 10 yards I have the Weaver rear sight almost as low as it can go. Probably need a higher front sight. 

At any rate .. any thoughts on the above? Thanks ! 

They have far too much hammer strike. The simplest solution is to shorten the hammer spring incrementally and check over the chronograph. Eventually you'll begin to see a drop in velocity and you can stop at that point. An ideal velocity goal would be about 95% of the maximum.

That will make a substantial improvement in shot count, perhaps 50% more.

To double your shot count, make an SSG (spring stopping guide) to eliminate CO2-wasting hammer bounce. Here's a DIY one I made for a couple of my Crosmans...

3/16" rod tapped on both ends to #10-32:

Subassembly pictured here. The hammer spring goes on the shaft for final assembly. Adjust the jam nuts (or use a nylon locknut) to make it so the hammer has about 0.030" of free play when it's uncocked. In other words, the hammer can rattle back and forth ever so slightly.

Drilled a clearance hole in the tube's end cap and installed it onto the gun:

Thanks for the reply. That looks like a viable solution, but I really don’t want to do that much modification on this new pistol. I talked to Crosman and they said heavier pellets can use more CO2. Not sure I agree with that however. Also .. it seems that Umarex cartridges may have a tad less CO2 than Crosman Powerlets. See pic. Not sure if this is good data or not, but I’ll see after I try a Crosman one using the same 8.6 grain pellets

https://hardairmagazine.com/reviews/how-much-co2-does-a-12-gram-co2-cartridge-contain-heres-the-answer/

1554734687_19828584445cab5e5f23ac64.56269139_CD12DBC1-0C6E-4E37-AFA3-B0D9B6A9AFCE.jpeg

I can sympathize with not wanting to start making mods to a new gun right away but shortening the spring is really the easiest way to make a substantial improvement in shot count. There are additional benefits too. Once it's not wasting so much CO2, your trajectory will be less susceptible to differences in ambient temperature, and it won't be as prone to self-cooling when you're shooting without a long pause between each shot.

There is also a completely reversible technique you a can try. A bstaley O-ring buffer. You simply put a stack of O-rings against the valve and they act as a bumper when the hammer flings forward to knock the valve open. When set up correctly, it alters the valve's lift and dwell and improves CO2 usage. Something like 3 or 4 -113 O-rings will put you in the ballpark, or 3 O-rings with some number of spacers (washers) to fine-tune the height of the stack.

The strategy is pretty simple and very similar to shortening the hammer spring. You just add O-rings until you see the velocity drop. However note that small changes in the stack height (or the hardness of the O-rings) can make a huge difference. For example, you might try a 3x stack and it has no effect and then you add a fourth and suddenly the velocity drops in half. Then it's a game of playing around with spacer washers or trying different O-ring durometers to find something that lets you retain, say, 90-95% of your original velocity. Very effective though once you get it figured out.

I would just install a hammer spring adjuster if you what more shoots per cartridge, 2 screws after you take the sight off

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1T4GUEA_enUS644US645&source=hp&ei=1we0XPbxOo3L-gSum46YBw&q=crosman+2240+hammer+spring+adjuster&oq=crosman+2240+hammer+spring+adjuster&gs_l=psy-ab.1.0.0i22i30.4681.17263..19485...1.0..0.91.2062.36....2..0....1..gws-wiz.....0..0i131j0j0i10j0i333.KQfOXC3F5dU

they might be using a heavier hammer spring then in the 2240 coming from the custom shop and you might of wanted to get the muzzle brake also

heck by the time your done you will have a large box of spare 2240 parts, doesn't everyone, or is it just me and one custom pistol isn't enough, I think about 10 should do just fine, well that might be just me again

it's a hobby ain't it

a note on the sight they can be a pain to reinstall correctly, if you hurry the side clamping they like to go askew

so it best to do some side tightening and some top and back and forth, to best keep it level and even after all that sometimes they still looked crooked

also some of the hammer spring adjusters have a large enough screw, bolt, adjuster, that when taken out you can change the spring from lighter to stronger and not have to mess with removing the cap