• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Crosman Crusher .22 proving to be very inconsistent

This is my first airgun, I did a bit of research and decided to get the Crusher and a Hammers 3-9x40 AO scope with it. Mounted a bipod to the stock, did the trigger fix and adjusted the position of the scope to fit my liking. So far, three types of pellets show no consistency at all.

I'm using:
1. Crosman Premier Dome (14.3g)
2. RWS Super Point (14.5g)
3. H&N Barracuda Match (21.14g)

I had watched and read a few reviews about the Barracuda Match pellets and though to give them a try after seeing inconsistency with the first two. Still no luck. I'm shooting about 25yd sitting in a chair and resting my bipod on a stand. Just simple target shooting and pretty much 75% of my shots are flyer's.

As well, I also noticed weak penetration with all three pellets. I've noticed people saying they penetrate through about 1/2" boards so they use 1" or thicker (I'm using about 1.5" thick wire spools and seeing more than half of them with the ass of the pellet sticking out. I was wondering what could contribute to this? I'm new to this but very mechanically savvy and can modify or replace things if needed.

Any help or input is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Some RWS chamber lube transformed my Nitro Venom 22 into a very respectable grouping rifle.

It took me alot of frustrating days to get it broke in. I have about 750 pellets thru it so far and can spin a quarter size target with Crosman Premier Hollow Point 14.3 Gr consistently at 20 yards. It never came to life until I lubed the chamber........Did you check the barrell bolt? Mine was loose, I removed it, alcohol cleaned the hole and threads, then Blue Loctited the bolt.

Here is a thread documenting my journey so far with the Nitro Venom....

/topic/crosman-nitro-venom-dusk-22-gone-throgh-it-and-still-inconsistent/page/3/

I'll definitely try some barrel lube. Do you use a rod and a cotton patch for it or what? Also, barrel bolt? As in the ones attached to the stock holding it down? Or the locking bolt that holds the barrel up after breaking it? New to some of these terms. I've tightened everything I can for now but have not lubed anything. Was unclear of what lube to try. I'm gonna order some right now.

The chamber lube goes in the air port you see when the barrell is in the cocked position....Copy and paste that link I gave you in the previous post to read specifics. NO LUBE for the barrell, and yes it does need cleaned as well. I got a 177 22 cleaning kit from Wal Mart...Its a must have.....

I bumped my thread to the top for ya.....Its worth a read.

I'd recommend that you search "artillery hold". Using a bipod with a springer can cause accuracy problems due to the two way recoil. Springers/gas rams are weird critters and each gun has a way it likes to be held. As a rule domed pellets will shoot best compared to pointed. Also try the gun with open sights at say 10 yards to see if it will group. Scopes can move due to recoil and a moving scope will kill your accuracy.
Good luck!
John

"JohnL57"I'd recommend that you search "artillery hold". Using a bipod with a springer can cause accuracy problems due to the two way recoil. Springers/gas rams are weird critters and each gun has a way it likes to be held. As a rule domed pellets will shoot best compared to pointed. Also try the gun with open sights at say 10 yards to see if it will group. Scopes can move due to recoil and a moving scope will kill your accuracy.
Good luck!
John
Thanks for the reminder John......I did search for a video and found a good one.I think some of my inconsistency is due to me getting overheated and sweaty. As this happens I have been over compensating for the butt pad feeling like it slips on my shoulder and I tighten my grip. I am looking forward to the cooler fall temps and low humidity. I have never been much for 85+ temps with 75% and up humidity.....

"Bobbed06"
"JohnL57"I'd recommend that you search "artillery hold". Using a bipod with a springer can cause accuracy problems due to the two way recoil. Springers/gas rams are weird critters and each gun has a way it likes to be held. As a rule domed pellets will shoot best compared to pointed. Also try the gun with open sights at say 10 yards to see if it will group. Scopes can move due to recoil and a moving scope will kill your accuracy.
Good luck!
John
Thanks for the reminder John......I did search for a video and found a good one.I think some of my inconsistency is due to me getting overheated and sweaty. As this happens I have been over compensating for the butt pad feeling like it slips on my shoulder and I tighten my grip. I am looking forward to the cooler fall temps and low humidity. I have never been much for 85+ temps with 75% and up humidity.....

I'm fortunate weather wise to be in California-we basically are in a desert so humidity and nasty bugs are not a problem. Sure could use some rain this coming season though if anyone's listening!

I've definitely suspected the breech seal to be bad as well. I'm just gonna order a few more to have as a backup. Worth having some supplies on hand for the future instead of waiting around.

As well, to JohnL57, my rifle has no sights sadly. So the scope is all I have to aim down. I was considering getting a bore site to see how far off my zeroing may be. I think I'm pretty close but could help. Also, as for holding it, I've done just about every way to hold and shoot a gun except for laying in the dirt and firing it. It's inconsistent across the board good sir. I think there is an underlying cause. I'm aware of the recoil and try to compensate a bit for each shot depending on the last shot before it. It's just been so random I can't judge it. I've shot 30/30 rounds standing from a high powered rifle with better luck than this turd lol..