• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Crosman CPHP and leading?

Greetings all!

I've read some comments that the relatively hard and dirty (compared to softer, cleaner pellets) Crosman pellets may wreak havoc on a rifle's bore.

I have a stash of them, but am hesitant to use them in my new hw30 because of these reports. I've dealt with leaded rifle barrels in the pb world and prefer to avoid it's difficulties in my air rifle.

So, is there any worry in using them? If they do tend to lead a bore, is it easily removed with a few swipes of a pull through patch system, or, does it require a rod and brush? Perhaps its much ado about nothing really. Just trying to learn the truth.

On a general note, I've never quite wrapped my mind around the common opinion (fact?) that softer lead projectiles tend to lead bores less than those which are harder with more antimony present. If anyone cares to explain this, please do.

Many thanks, Flintlock.

PS to say that I understand that all lead projectiles will "lead" the bore to some small extent at least. I'm asking about leading to the degree that accuracy is lost quicker and/or to a larger degree than the norm.

I tried the CPHPs in a couple of rifles and they shoot well, but were not the most accurate compared to some others. I recently tried the CP 7.9s with good results. Accuracy does not seem to drop with either of the pellets and haven't noticed any more lead build up compared to the softer pellets. When available I still prefer the softer pellets (JSB, H&N, Norma).

Reactions: Flintlock
IMO the harder lead from the Crosman will leave less lead in the bore. Softer lead from JSB and so on tend to work better partly because the skirt is formed better to the bore size when seated. That said, more engagement with the rifling means more particulates/dust are leftover. Yes, bores get usual wear and tear with projectiles, but I don't think you should worry about it one bit. What lead is leftover is easier to remove than in PB because of the lack of an explosion/heat/powder residue and so on. I usually use a bore snake and I've never even had to use a solvent, personally. I guess if you measured a barrel with Crosman pellets vs a barrel with JSB you could look at the lands after a 100,000 shots and see if there is a difference, but the money your save from the Crosman pellets can buy you a new barrel even if there was some noticable damage. Moisture and pitting from storage is more likely to cause damage IMO. I used to shoot Crosman 14gr .22 out of my hw95. That said, why shoot a pellet like that when you have such a nice rifle. The JSBs make it so much more enjoyable.

Just my 2 cents

-Atlas

Last edited by a moderator:
ive found pellets dont really lead bores past the point of bore condition .. if its a rough bore lead will deposit in it and tend to smooth it up, and wiping it oit down to squeaky clean generally just means a perpetually rough bore that shoots a certain way cleaned to perfectuon and another way well shot in .. you can work yourself to death fighting it or just not worry about it lol, occasionally dry patch it to smooth out the lead in the pits of a rough bore works well, way i see it .. either that or polish the barrel or replace it with a higher quality one .. but this or that pellet 'hurting' a bore, nah ..

ive found pellets dont really lead bores past the point of bore condition .. if its a rough bore lead will deposit in it and tend to smooth it up, and wiping it oit down to squeaky clean generally just means a perpetually rough bore that shoots a certain way cleaned to perfectuon and another way well shot in .. you can work yourself to death fighting it or just not worry about it lol, occasionally dry patch it to smooth out the lead in the pits of a rough bore works well, way i see it .. either that or polish the barrel or replace it with a higher quality one .. but this or that pellet 'hurting' a bore, nah ..
Yeah with .22lr or .223/5.56 I look at barrel condition ever so often but these barrels often deal better with less cleaning. The debate on when to clean is a lively one. For 10m in the Olympics they clean them sometimes every time and other shooters every 1000 or so shots, so even then not too consistent between shooters, but that is the best example I can think of when it comes to cleaning. For our lot, clean when the accuracy suffers IMO