Crosman Challenger mods?

AJ

Mar 19, 2017
Hello,
New to the forum and wanted to say hello and am wondering if the Crosman Challenger PCP can be reliably upgraded to 12 to 14 fpe and is there a permanent fix to the dreaded cocking pull back lever?. I am seriously considering looking to buy a Challenger PCP, a used one if it can be reliably upgraded with no headaches since my recently purchased out of the box 1701p is such a wonderful shooter with the larger upgraded transfer port and AR stock and TKO LDC. OR perhaps locate a modded Disco/Maximus with LW upgraded barrel and Mrod trigger group. I had tried to contact Crosman to inquire on a LW Challenger barrel and Marauder trigger group and the lady wanted a part number and could not find any part numbers anywhere. I already have a Disco in both 177 and 22 which are only mediocre and nothing to rave about in the accuracy department, my 1701p really puts them to shame. Also must be able to be made very quiet and like the low 2000psi fill.
TIA
AJ

Thank you for the helpful information. I am not sure which way to go but leaning more towards upgrading my disco if the Challenger barrel is a simple drop in with a Marauder trigger.
Is there any website that lists the Crosman part numbers with prices? I called Crosman to order and ask about the compatibility of the Challenger barrel to fit a disco and the lady had no idea and could not give me a price quote nor have the ability to even look up the part number for me, this is at Crosman.
AJ

AJ, If you want to just go to 12 FPE, it is very simple.

Remove the barrel, take the transfer port out and put it in a vice with wood sides. Then drill it out to .080" Put the barrel back on and you will be at 12 FPE!..However, if you intend to shoot WFTF class field target, you will need to install a Huma regulator. To install Just degasse the gun, unscrew the fill nipple cap and remove the air gauge. Then press the Huma in with a hollow tube or alum arrow so as to not change the setting. The setting should be 85 BAR, Without the reg. the rifle will go to around 13-14 FPE by the time it gets to the top of the bell curve. Too high for WFTF class. The Huma reg set at 85 BAR will keep it level at 12 FPE or a little less according to your adjustment of the pellet speed with the striker adjustment knob.

This is all I have done to my challenger and it gets 49 point of aim shots before it drops off the regulator. Best grouping is around 1500 PSI.
It is shooting 8.4 AA's at 792 FPS for 11.70 FPE.
The Extreme spread is 8 and the standard deviation is 2....!
I did adjust the trigger pull to 7.6oz
It groups one hole with no wind at 30 yards. With no wind at 55 yards it will keep all under a dime.. The gun is amazingly accurate! 
If you want to got to 18 FPE it is more complicated but doable. Hotrod62 has taken his up to 18 FPE so you can contact him for that info.
I had a disco and installed a LW Challanger barrel from Disco;s Are Us when Norm still had it. The barrel is shorter and you need to get the Challenger front sight piece to get it to equal the air tube,It will not allow a TKO to be installed If I remember right, I have an adapter that was made for the disco, that fits the barrel and is threaded 1/2' UNF. The moderator won;t fit because of the shorter barrel.The air tube interferes... Either way, the disco was more accurate with the LW but no where near as accurate as the Challenger straight up... 

Accuracy?? I made a field target stock for my Challenger, and it is the backup to my Steyr LG 110 FT.... But! it is every bit as accurate as the Steyr only at 12 FPE compared to the Steyrs nearly 20 FPE.. In fact at my practice session this morning I out shot my Styer with the Challenger. Guess I was more aware of the wind with the 12 FPE gun...!!??

Here are a pics of the gun as it is now with the new FT style stock I made for it from a curly maple blank...took the plastic knobs off and replaced them withh aluminum Paul

VERY NICE! I am not into field target or competition shooting. I specifically use my air guns as tools to take out pests on our farm. They really need to be pin point accurate because of the metal and plexi glass roofing and sidings and power boxes with circuit breakers and lights and machinery/equipment etc... I have to dispatch quarry as part of daily life here and not for hobby or for fun. It is a chore. Where I primarily shoot has very little to no wind.
I am not into power, just accuracy. I have been dispatching quarry with an old vintage 6-7fpe FWB 300s and recently acquired a used but well taken cared of Crosman 1701p with larger transfer port which I am guessing does 8-9fpe since the drop with this one at 50 yards is much less with this pistol with an added on AR stock and TKO LDC. I only do head and eye shots using these guns on pest birds and mice and rats out to 50 yards holding over using bdc reticle and mildot scopes.
Whatever I use must be made quiet as to not disturb the farm animals. The FWB 300s is border line quiet enough. The 1701p without the TKO was alarmingly loud and could not be used until I got the TKO device installed. I had previously tried using a Daisy 747 (Lothar Walther Barrel) with scope and mount adapter out to 20 yards used for closer vermin control due to its very low fpe and it was quiet enough. Then there was the IZH 46m with folding wire stock which extended the range out to 25 yards. I had a TKO on it too with hard shrink tubing at the end of the barrel for shim concentric.
I replaced them with an FWB 58 PCP 5 shot semiauto match pistol which gets the job done quicker and is surprisingly quiet for an out of the box PCP pistol. Can dispatch a couple of mice at once especially when they are running away.
I have a couple of Marauders and Discoverys which are IMHO terrible in the accuracy department which I do not use. When I mention terrible, its for my specific use which is all about precision which is roughly the size of a PEZ candy as being the kill zone out to 55 yards. If a row of 20 or more PEZ candy placed standing up at 55 yards can be hit consistently without missing then it is accurate enough for my use. If not, then it is time to get a THOMAS.
There are feral pigs coming down from the upper mountains and that is what I picked up a Huben K1 for. I have been dispatching wild chickens and mongoose with it on the outskirts of the farm and make sure to pop at least 3 to 5 rounds into each one of them for center mass to be sure it is a humane kill unless its a lucky head shot since they are always moving around and never stay put and all rounds pass straight through them and leave big holes on the other side with the Huben. Then the mongoose and feral cats have their feast but their time will come soon as well. A lot of the feral cats wait on the edge of the property when I arrive since they know it is feeding time.
I got a Steyr Hunting 5 automatic but it only has 5 round magazine capacity with lower power and must change magazines after each chicken however the Steyr is a more accurate gun than the Huben, I can confidently do head shots within one clip. If you are into fun shooting airguns I would highly recommend a Huben K1 for outright destroying things quickly with 19 rounds as fast as you can pull the trigger or a Steyr Hunting 5 Automatic for accurate precision fast 5 round shooting. The Huben cost some money for its ammo whereas the Steyr will shoot just about anything you feed it in its magazines with excellent accuracy.
Here I go off the subject...
Actually the Challenger is for 10-12fpe precision shooting for my needs. I do not need more than 11 or 12fpe with it.
AJ