• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Crosman Crosman Challenger 2021 hand-pumpable?

Sorry for the noob question, but I'm very new to the PCP world - only recently purchased a Crosman 1701P pistol and really enjoying it.
Just about to pull the trigger (stupid pun intended) on the Crosman Challenger 2021 rifle. My question is; will I be able to charge rifle using a Four Uncles hand pump, or should I bite the bullet (another stupid pun) and plan on buying an air compressor? I have no issues filling the pistols 45cc tank, though I realize the Challenger is (I think) 145cc. I'm waiting to hear back from Crosman on reservoir size. I generally shoot 50 rds or less in a shooting session, in no hurry at all. Bad back and eyes start giving out at my age quickly, one of the reasons I'm getting away from rimfire shooting given the expense of ammo, packing everything up to go to range (and hoping to get a decent bench), etc. etc, Much prefer to shoot from the comfort and convenience of home these days. Thanks for any input.
Dan

I hand pump an Avenger that I bottle converted to have a total of about 360 cc. And that's to 4,000 psi, higher than Crosman. It takes like 225 strokes out of my 4 stage pump.

I've read it here before to think of the air tank size as a gas tank in your car. As long as it is above a certain amount it will work, it's just if you have a bigger tank and fill it all the way it works for longer (more shots)

So in summary, yes you can hand pump it. What I'd do is start hand pumping and if you can't do it for physical reasons then spend the $ on a compressor. Keep the hand pump for backup.

Edit: also when hand pumping you should keep your back straight and bend your knees to "fall" with your arms straight to the handle to use your upper body weight to pump. It is weird sounding but when you do it right the first time it won't feel like your arms or back hurt maybe your legs. But you can do one pump and wait do another and wait you don't need to make it a workout session haha

Thanks for the replies, I do appreciate it. I just ordered the rifle from Champions Choice, so we'll see how it goes.
Like I mentioned, I'm in no great rush when I'm ready to shoot, so I can do it in stages. I may rethink that after I try to fill it though. lol
I've done some research on compressors and that's a real rabbit hole! If I find I need one, I'll be back asking you fellows who've been at this game for awhile.
Thanks again,
Dan

Thanks for the replies, I do appreciate it. I just ordered the rifle from Champions Choice, so we'll see how it goes.
Like I mentioned, I'm in no great rush when I'm ready to shoot, so I can do it in stages. I may rethink that after I try to fill it though. lol
I've done some research on compressors and that's a real rabbit hole! If I find I need one, I'll be back asking you fellows who've been at this game for awhile.
Thanks again,
Dan
watch some You tube for "how to use a AIR RIFLE hand pump"

3000psi

What convinced me I needed a tank and/or compressor was the first time I went to the range. Once I had shot the gun down and needed to recharge, I had to lay the gun on the ground, and pump for 10 or 15 minutes, take a pump cooling break, and pump a little more. Then my heart was pounding for a few more minutes before shooting more. I realized with a tank, all that could have been accomplished in 1 minute, and ordered a tank later that day.

I still will fill a gun with a handpump before I go to the range, or to shoot out of the window, but not at the range.

I can see that. I’m very fortunate in that I have a backyard 50 yards deep that becomes corn/soybean field after that. I also have 36’ of “shootable” basement space

I would think the Challenger, with 300 shots per fill(unmodified), would be the ideal gun for handpumping. 300 shots is a pretty good shooting session, for me anyway. Shoot for a while, and pump at your leisure.

I just looked at the "new" Challenger at CC. Wow, Crosman has really upped their game on that one. Very nice, and reasonably priced too.