• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Crosman Crosman 392PA GET THE PAINT OUT!!!

My Crosman 392pa has never been an accurate rifle with any pellet (1-2 inch groups at 10 meters, on a rest).
Did a pellet push through today, and what do you know, there's a flat spot on every skirt and some of the heads (same orientation).
A flashlight in the breach shows what looks like a burr in the bottom of the chamber, where the transfer port comes in.
I'm thinking a little Dremel abrasion to grind off the burr, but I'm concerned about getting brass shavings down the transfer port.
I'm no machinist, that's for sure.
IMG_7857.jpeg
IMG_7855.jpeg

Any advice would be appreciated!

Last edited:
Reactions: .20calguy
I'm thinking a little Dremel abrasion to grind off the burr, but I'm concerned about getting brass shavings down the transfer port.

Maybe stuff a small bit of cleaning patch into the transfer port to block it? I would dampen the patch with Ballistol to help hold on to the shavings. You can always do an alcohol flush afterwards to clean out the valve. Then lube afterwards of course.

@Simplemann - the barrel and tube are soldered together.

Maybe stuff a small bit of cleaning patch into the transfer port to block it? I would dampen the patch with Ballistol to help hold on to the shavings. You can always do an alcohol flush afterwards to clean out the valve. Then lube afterwards of course.

@Simplemann - the barrel and tube are soldered together.

Thanks, Virge! I did as you suggested and don't think I hurt anything with the Dremel (fine diamond ball bit) :)
Will post results shortly.

Thanks, everybody, for the advice!
That diamond ball Dremel tool made quick work of the burr, and the pellets load MUCH smoother.
Here are before and after groups red dot sight, 10 meters, rested.
The group with the Career 707 II (peep sight) is to give you an idea of the best I can do with any rifle, off a rest without magnification)
IMG_7860.jpeg
IMG_7859.jpeg

I think the burr removal helped some — still no tack driver, though…

Last edited:
I just got a 392pa. Tried 8 different pellets yesterday. I found the Crosman Piranha, and the JSB Monsters shot very well. I also found the Crosman Premier Hollow Points shot very good with just 4 pumps and at around 550 fps. And that is all the pumping I want to do anyway. Was shooting quarters at 35 yards with the peep sight. My tired eyes could do no better but I’m certain the gun could. I’m reading the RWS pointed pellet do well. Will get some and try. Wad cutters are the wrong pellet for the 392. Mine doesn’t like them either. Plus they load hard.

Reactions: r1lover
My 397PA does much better with 8-10gr domed pellets than wadcutters. Have you checked the crown for burrs or other damage? My brother's 392 was a mess, but got it shooting great with a hand drill, brass screw and some lapping paste.
Here’s what the barrel crown looks like. Looks like I need to work on that a little before trying different pellets, eh?
IMG_7863.jpeg

Crosman 392PA — paint overspray in the crown.
Paint remover in the bore overnight and thorough cleaning this a.m. did the trick!
At long last, I have a rifle I can shoot with satisfaction.
Both targets 5 shots rested at 10 meters, 4 pumps, .22 RWS Hobby 12.2 grains.
GET THE PAINT OUT OF THAT BARREL!!!
IMG_7874.jpeg

IMG_7875.jpeg
IMG_7873.jpeg

Wow, getting that bit of paint out makes a huge difference! I'm going take another look to see if mine are that clean. What did you use to remove the paint?
I used Sunnyside Ready-Strip, contains:IMG_7876.jpeg
I've got a couple of vintage Sheridans, and on close inspection, BOTH have paint overspray in the barrels. Should be interesting to see if their accuracy improves after paint removal.

Reactions: virge
really as long as a swab will not catch on the barrel opening the look is all cosmetic
the pellet or bullet has no eyes to see the opening it just left

https://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2011/09/the-importance-of-the-crown/
Thanks for the link — interesting reading and the discussion after…

I was pretty unhappy with my Crosman 392PA with its huge groups compared with my old Sheridans, even though the overall build quality seems quite similar. As you can see above, removing the breech burr (that was deforming the pellets) and the redneck crown job I performed (with the brass screw/glass polishing compound) didn't do much (likely just cosmetic), but after getting that paint out of the barrel, accuracy of this gun is LOTS better, and the thing is finally fun to shoot offhand. Restored my faith in modern American manufacturing (although whoever sprayed paint into that muzzle sure can’t be proud of his/her workmanship).

Reactions: r1lover