Crosman Crosman 362, opinion

Really? I've seen several different styles of Crosman breaches before, but never one without the little screw in the loading area. Who is making them?
Really? I've seen several different styles of Crosman breaches before, but never one without the little screw in the loading area. Who is making them?
Sorry for the late response. Alliance hobby has them listed on their website.

-Matt

i love pumpers ; )
You and me both, Pan60! There's just nothing handier, in my opinion. Pick up the airgun, grab some pellets and you're in business. They're so incredibly useful, suitable for teaching gun familiarity, use and safety, target shooting, eliminating small pest animals if necessary and with the right model, even small game hunting.

Some say break barrel airguns are inherently better than those with variable pump pneumatic powerplants, due to their higher FPS and the need for only one stroke to charge them, and those are important benefits if needed (although that one stroke can be extremely tough and even impossible for many would-be shooters). On the other hand, I overwhelmingly prefer variable pumpers, as I don't have the need to shoot anything requiring more oomph than I'm getting, especially for indoor target shooting. In fact, most of the time, I prefer being able to shoot with far LESS power, which is simply not possible with break barrels. Then again, if I do want to shoot with more power, I have that option; it's just a matter of how many pumps I use. Usually, about three or four for accurate 10 to 20 meter target shooting, six or seven for smaller pests and for longer range or larger small game (squirrels, bunnies, etc.), all ten pumps for full power (very rarely, a few more are needed, depending on the airgun). This same issue crops up with PCP and CO2 airguns as well, since they too always shoot with full power -- using the same amount of air or gas to send each pellet on its way. However, of primary importance to me, pumpers have no recoil, so there's no need for an experimentally discovered, unique-to-that-airgun hold to be able to shoot with reasonable accuracy. Of less importance to me, but a concern for others, there's also pretty much zero chance of pellets leaving the barrel of a pumper at supersonic speeds, which causes an extremely loud and noticeable sonic boom (this happens regularly with many models of springers/gas pistons/SSPs).

I'm approaching thirty airguns now in my collection and all but maybe five or six that use CO2/Air Piston (only one, which I Do Not Like) are variable pumpers in .177 and .22 caliber. They run the gamut in cost and quality from my Umarex NXG APX air rifle, Umarex Strike Points and Crosman 1397/1392 (.177 & .22) air pistols (all just under $50) to my Dragonfly MK2 .22 and Benjamin 392s & 397s (about $200) and my Crosman C2023 at $400.

You and me both, Pan60! There's just nothing handier, in my opinion. Pick up the airgun, grab some pellets and you're in business. They're so incredibly useful, suitable for teaching gun familiarity, use and safety, target shooting, eliminating small pest animals if necessary and with the right model, even small game hunting.

Some say break barrel airguns are inherently better than those with variable pump pneumatic powerplants, due to their higher FPS and the need for only one stroke to charge them, and those are important benefits if needed (although that one stroke can be extremely tough and even impossible for many would-be shooters). On the other hand, I overwhelmingly prefer variable pumpers, as I don't have the need to shoot anything requiring more oomph than I'm getting, especially for indoor target shooting. In fact, most of the time, I prefer being able to shoot with far LESS power, which is simply not possible with break barrels. Then again, if I do want to shoot with more power, I have that option; it's just a matter of how many pumps I use. Usually, about three or four for accurate 10 to 20 meter target shooting, six or seven for smaller pests and for longer range or larger small game (squirrels, bunnies, etc.), all ten pumps for full power (very rarely, a few more are needed, depending on the airgun). This same issue crops up with PCP and CO2 airguns as well, since they too always shoot with full power -- using the same amount of air or gas to send each pellet on its way. However, of primary importance to me, pumpers have no recoil, so there's no need for an experimentally discovered, unique-to-that-airgun hold to be able to shoot with reasonable accuracy. Of less importance to me, but a concern for others, there's also pretty much zero chance of pellets leaving the barrel of a pumper at supersonic speeds, which causes an extremely loud and noticeable sonic boom (this happens regularly with many models of springers/gas pistons/SSPs).

I'm approaching thirty airguns now in my collection and all but maybe five or six that use CO2/Air Piston (only one, which I Do Not Like) are variable pumpers in .177 and .22 caliber. They run the gamut in cost and quality from my Umarex NXG APX air rifle, Umarex Strike Points and Crosman 1397/1392 (.177 & .22) air pistols (all just under $50) to my Dragonfly MK2 .22 and Benjamin 392s & 397s (about $200) and my Crosman C2023 at $400.
I totally agree, very well said (y)

Reactions: bubbapearson
Maybe ill find a Anniversary model at one of the shows i go to ? " Rare Anniversary only a few made "
I just double checked and Pyramyd Air is still selling them new for $399.00, a few bucks less than my wife paid for the one she let me order as a birthday gift last September (I added quite a few thousand, 4-tin groups of pellets at the same time, since I was getting free shipping). My own is #465 (I think -- too lazy to double check) of 2023, according to what's printed on the breech, but as long as these have been for sale now, and at seemingly a very large number of sources, I'm wondering if only two thousand and twenty three really is or was the cut-off point. Regardless, it is a VERY nice rifle; powerful, accurate and all too rare these days, beautiful as well -- IMO about the best thing going in pumpers nowadays. In performance and looks, I pretty much consider it the gem of my collection. If the price doesn't confront you (it was totally worth the cost to me), it's a very nice variable pumper, maybe the best available today. Good luck if you try to seek one out. The spice would be about twice as nice if you could find one at a bargain price! ;-)

Reactions: beerthief
I just finished converting a 362 to 17. I had a spare 24" barrel and a .177 bolt on hand. I haven't chronographed it yet but it hitting metal targets with authority at six pumps.
That's fantastic! I wish I had the ability to do it (just a bit too arthritic these days, and besides, I've always been more mechanically de-clined than inclined, I'm afraid). Instead, I've been investing some organic CPU processing cycles on whether or not to buy another and farm out the work, since they're still available new. I absolutely love my 'collectible' .22 version and wouldn't give it up for anything, but I prefer .177 caliber for the indoor target shooting making up the majority of my hobby these days. I'd think I'd choose a Williams/Crosman notch sight instead of the more usual peeper too, since I prefer a notch and blade configuration. How do you like the resulting, unique rifle you created? Is it everything you hoped or even better? ;-)

Last edited:
Reactions: esaz-41
I just finished converting a 362 to 17. I had a spare 24" barrel and a .177 bolt on hand. I haven't chronographed it yet but it hitting metal targets with authority at six pumps.
Nice job , first conversion i have heard of . if i converted one i would go with .20 , like the early ones .

That's fantastic! I wish I had the ability to do it (just a bit too arthritic these days, and besides, I've always been more mechanically de-clined than inclined, I'm afraid). Instead, I've been investing some organic CPU processing cycles on whether or not to buy another and farm out the work, since they're still available new. I absolutely love my 'collectible' .22 version and wouldn't give it up for anything, but I prefer .177 caliber for the indoor target shooting making up the majority of my hobby these days. I'd think I'd choose a Williams/Crosman notch sight instead of the more usual peeper too, since I prefer a notch and blade configuration. How do you like the resulting, unique rifle you created? Is it everything you hoped or even better? ;-)

The conversion is not that hard. I'm 83 and kind of fumble fingered these days so it' takes me some time these days.

i really like the 362 platform -- i have one in 22 with a steel breech and scope which is re markedly accurate for such an inexpensive rifle, I have the 100th anniversary version which I am not going to modify at all.

This .17 conversion turned out great, The barrel is a standard Crosman but it is exceptional. I modified the trigger and got the pull weight down to 1 and 1/2 pounds. It is a joy to shoot, On this one I'm happy with the standard plastic breech and peep sight.

1000001687.jpg

My 392 is a great rifle. I extended the lop with a recoil pad, and added a sling with swivel at the front attachment point to allow the pump arm to function properly. Shoots strong tight groups, and loves cheap ammo....hard to beat.

These pump guns have such a great lightweight feel to them I love handling my 392 more than any other gun I've ever owned.
That was the first airgun I bought in .22 caliber, and -- I'll use the word unfortunately -- ended up with the 392s version, JUST missing the availability of the last wood-stocked rifles Benjamin was offering, dang-gummit! Even with that gosh-awful hump on the buttstock, I still could get excellent accuracy with the iron sights from a rest and it really grew on me. For about a year, that was my favorite open-sighted air rifle for fine accuracy, although it was (and remains) something of a bear to pump up to full warp speed (whoa!) even now that it's well broken-in. Since I primarily shoot indoor targets at three or four pumps, it wasn't really much of an issue, and did and still does give me great service for the roughly $166.43 (great price!) I found at Midway USA. I've added a number of other .22 caliber air pistols and rifles to my collection since, running the gamut in cost and quality from $49 to over $400, but once I added the .177 caliber 397s to the stable, it marked the end of the reign of my 392s as top dog. ;-) In one of the threads I was following on the board, maybe this one, another shooter posted a picture of his own 392, the one made before they started making the S (synthetic) models I have. It looked to me like it had a walnut stock on it and was about the most beautiful .22 pumper I've ever seen. If, as I suspect, that was the 'stock' version of the 392 (and 397) Benjamin was making at the time, I joined the airgun hobby just a few months, maybe even weeks, too late! What a gorgeous air rifle! Made me realize I haven't had my trusty 392s out of its case in the closet for some time, so thanks for the short trip down memory lane; I enjoyed it. :)

The conversion is not that hard. I'm 83 and kind of fumble fingered these days so it' takes me some time these days.

i really like the 362 platform -- i have one in 22 with a steel breech and scope which is re markedly accurate for such an inexpensive rifle, I have the 100th anniversary version which I am not going to modify at all.

This .17 conversion turned out great, The barrel is a standard Crosman but it is exceptional. I modified the trigger and got the pull weight down to 1 and 1/2 pounds. It is a joy to shoot, On this one I'm happy with the standard plastic breech and peep sight.
Well, even with about a decade and a smidge extra few years on me, you discovered it wasn't too tough, so maybe I could manage it after all. ;-) Still, while I was able to mount a new Walthers (Williams?) notched sight on the custom 1300KT carbine Crosman built for me last year, I am inexperienced enough to be a bit ham-handed at such things, so farming out the work still might be the way I choose to go. On the other hand, I have to admit it feels purty-danged-good when I manage to accomplish such things myself, so that's another benefit to pullin' it off all by my lonesome. As things stand, I'm really still only in the very-seriously-thinkin'-about-it-and-early-plannin'-stages, so I think I'll let the idea continue to percolate for awhile and see what happens. Why not? I do like my coffee on the strong side. :)

If I do pull the trigger on the idea, I was thinkin' that if I started out with one of the C2023 anniversary edition rifles while they're still available (keeping the one I already have as a collectible), rather than the far less expensive C362, I'd have not only a unique, new .177 caliber carbine with a very good-lookin' walnut stock, but far better open sights as well (my preference on variable pumpers). A new .177 caliber breech and barrel aren't all that costly, especially if I do the work myself. I would absolutely LOVE seein' this thing come to fruition, especially after giving the idea such serious consideration for a good while now. Plus, I've noticed no very cool, shiny new variable pumper for sale from any manufacturer lately, and none seem to be in the production pipeline either. With it closin' in on about a full year now since I scored my last .177 air rifle... Oh no, that's way too long! We'll see. :)

Well, even with about a decade and a smidge extra few years on me, you discovered it wasn't too tough, so maybe I could manage it after all. ;-) Still,
SNIP!
Plus, I've noticed no very cool, shiny new variable pumper for sale from any manufacturer lately, and none seem to be in the production pipeline either. With it closin' in on about a full year now since I scored my last .177 air rifle... Oh no, that's way too long! We'll see. :)
No new pumpers in the pipeline? Oh heck no!!!!!! Last night, I read a release/promo thing from Gamo about a new pumper planned for release around August of '24! Incredibly, they're claiming this beastie of a 10-pump variable pump pneumatic air rifle will have an all-new, breakthrough tech making it capable of sending pellets on their way at a blistering, breakbarrel-like 1200 fps! Even better, IIRC, the target price is planned to be in the neighborhood of a very affordable ninety bucks or so! A new 10-pump air rifle capable of 1200 fps for less than a hundred dollars... from Gamo? Color me sold! ;-) I've only seen the one blurb so far, so I can't be sure this is all on the up-and-up, but I thought I'd post a heads-up for the variable pumper enthusiasts out there, in case it is comin' down the pike. You better believe I'm keeping all my appendages crossed! ;-)

I’ve got two, one stock and the other a Mac1 tuned. Both are accurate and fun to shoot. Only grip is that they don’t have a better rear sight for the stock model. I put a williams peep sight on my steel breeches mac1 model and it’s a great pesting gun.
I second that.
Bought the 362 for my son and I love it. Very solid feeling gun , especially for the economical price. Accurate. Powerful. Most importantly made in the USA.
I believe low entry price is due to crosman company being able to do this, but additionally it's because the sights are absolutely budget cheap.
We installed steel breech, Williams notched, and have been going back and forth between a crosman custom shop " my muzzle brake" front sight and a cool yet budget fiberoptic slide on off Amazon by Missouri J or something like that.
Now it's a sharp shooter.
But considering the upgrades ($100 ish), it comes out to more like $215 dollar gun. Still a very reasonable price point made in the USA.

Can't wait to get the new PCP 3622 version, its only $35 more which is incredible to me, its the exact same gun but PCP and a shroud over front sight.
I like the fit and finish for the price. It's just a great utility rifle.

Bought the 362 for my son and I love it. Very solid feeling gun , especially for the economical price. Accurate. Powerful. Most importantly made in the USA.
I believe low entry price is due to crosman company being able to do this, but additionally it's because the sights are absolutely budget cheap.
We installed steel breech, Williams notched, and have been going back and forth between a crosman custom shop " my muzzle brake" front sight and a cool yet budget fiberoptic slide on off Amazon by Missouri J or something like that.
But considering the upgrades ($100 ish), it comes out to more like $215 dollar gun. Still a very reasonable price point made in the USA.

Can't wait to get the new PCP 3622 version, its only $35 more which is incredible to me, its the exact same gun but PCP and a shroud over front sight.

I second that.

YES on that Williams Notch sight! I had to get one for mine (chose it for my Crosman custom shop 1300KT-based carbine, too), and I get awesome accuracy with it on both rifles! It's fairly pricey (more expensive than the peeper), but well worth it to me. Great choice to make an excellent, very affordable and extremely utilitarian little .22 carbine even better. When I got the C2023 (the anniversary upgraded 362), the Williams peeper was very nice, but I prefer notch and blade open sights. The C2023 also sold me on the steel breech instead of the stock plastic product on all the other air rifles and such from Crosman. I was really surprised to see a new Winchester 1977XS (I bought one after trying out the Daisy 880 back in 20 or so when I got into the hobby) selling now for just about what a 362 and new sight (or steel breech) would cost, and to me, even though I quite like my accurate 77XS, there's really no comparing the two, in my book. As for the new 3622, age is starting to catch up enough that I'm a bit gimped up, so I'm leery of pulling the trigger on a 3622 PCP and hand pump. Besides, I'm afraid I might love it enough that I start thinkin' more seriously about other PCP airguns and all the additional equipment making that part of the hobby even better (and more expensive). Unfortunately, I don't think our retirement budget would survive it, so maybe not. ;-) Enjoy that 362 with the sweet upgrades; fine little air rifle! Making it was the best move Crosman's made to promote pumpers since about forever, in my book. I hope the planned new Gamo pumper turns out to be at least similar in quality and usefulness.