• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

crosman 2240

so I'm thinking about adding a crosman 2240 pistol to my portfolio. from what I've read on reviews it seems many like it for money spent. there seems to be lots of aftermarket upgrades available not that I will travel that road. I'd be interested in hearing from others that own this gun or have had in the past on there opinion and things worth knowing.

Don't get the 2240! If you do, you will never quit trying to modify it! It's addictive. First you want the steel receiver, then the 14 inch barrel, then decide to smooth out the trigger. Next, a power adjuster, new hammer spring. Then maybe even a HIPAC to run at high pressure air or bulk CO2. It never ends. Before long you think you need a second 2240 for some reason or another. You will want a carbine butt stock because it makes it even more accurate while shooting. Then either better sights or red dot sight or a scope. It never ends.

Just kidding. But all of the above is true, just ask me! It's a very fun and rewarding air pistol. Buy it and never look back. But that $60 air pistol will end up costing two or three times the original cost. But oh what fun it will bring you. Just my opinion.

Ok, Ok. I understand the reluctance to add the mods. So, I'll give you 30 days, maybe 45 days and then we'll see what mods you are adding. Don't go to Youtube and look at all the videos, or you won't last 30 days. Might as well just bite the pellet and get started with the mods. Once you add the butt stock and see how much more accurately you are able to shoot, then watch out. There goes the money. HAVE FUN!

Do start with the crosman custom shop pistol! The cs rigs are THE value at barley over $100.00 with a slightly longer barrel and a steel breech and possibly free laser engraving if your that type.
The 22xx is fun and no limits, I've seem them at 40fpe ( HPA ) in .22, TON's of shots on gas, pistol/rifle/carbine, ............. . If while at the cs and if .177 will do ya the LW barrel crosman uses IS good ( not all LW blanks being equal ). 
The discovery fill and valve fit - naturally do NOT run higher psi than the tube is rated for - allowing bulk fill with gas or air for just a few more dollars. The 1701T trigger fits and is good, the marauder ( 1st gen anyway) can be made to fit if your going carbine, on and on. But DO get the steel breech.

John

Everything said is true, "It's True It's True." Not only did I modify the first two I bought and ended up with beaucoup bucks in them that I went to BNM and bought 2 of his prebuilt pistols with the mods from the Marauder and then there it went again only this time more and more $$$$. Ok so now that I have gone through my insanity I allow my Grand Kids shoot these little carbines under my supervision from a bench. They all have some form of optics from the red dot models from my AR 15 to the biggest Hawke Optics.
Everything from a tethered bottle to HPA. I finally came to my senses I thought. Enter the Disco...to Disco Double (Air Gun Labs and Discos R US)...to BNM Breach / Moderator...Marauder Trigger...All I can say is there is no limit to the mods and the costs. Just stop and get one or not or move right to a Marauder. 
You will learn so much in the modification of the 2240 about the internal workings that you will find yourself right in the middle of the pack with the rest of us on this forum when it comes to PCP Air Guns. An education you do not want to miss.
But from a budget standpoint, I advise to save your coins and begin by purchasing a regulated gun from the get go and all the stuff to shoot it. You will be money ahead. I find my top of the line rifles and pistols to be boringly accurate and consistent. Every one of them will and do humble me at the range because if I miss it is my fault not the gun.... 

Jonah is right. You don't have to do anything to it. They are great shooters out of the box! It's just that they are so customizable that it's hard to resist personalizing them but you don't have to. They are one of the most popular air pistols out there. Like I said the only thing I have done to mine is polish the trigger parts to smooth up the pull a bit. Didn't cost a thing and there are videos you can watch to see how. I think everyone should have one. For the price you can't go wrong.

You might want to shoot one before writing them off.
YES you , can , do a ton of mods to a "$50.00 pistol" ( but shop on that price with plastic breech and they are much less costly ) but more so the "custom shop " crosman pistol with steel breech and LW barrel at $128.00ish IS a value for shooting. IF you can shoot a pistol 50 yards it will hold excellent groups at that distance. Many people use crosman C02 pistols ( w/ LW barrel ) at Pistol Field Target events and they all shoot very well with very stock ( custom shop ) rigs.

Maybe that newest Russina pistol/varbine would be a good choice ?

John

"pete72"I could never see myself doing upgrades. when I purchase I will leave it as is. I wouldn't want to make a $50 dollar gun into something its not.i would just wait and buy a better gun not needing mods. just don't want to get caught up in that deal. will be buying one pretty soon.

Sorry Pete, we all said that! LOL Loads of fun! Just do it!

The basic pistol is fun to play with. Another option would be a 1377, no CO2 to fool with that way - but then some folks fall into the temptation to "improve" them, too. After 10 years my 1377 is sitting here waiting for me to finally flat top the valve. It's put a bunch of pellets down range and done so very accurately. Some of the best groups I shot were before putting the Crooked Barn breech on it, just shooting some old Daisy SpeedMax (IIRC) pellets that were sitting around. Even with the plastic breech I was getting one ragged hole at 10 meters. After putting the new breech on it, those pellets never shot that well for me again. BUT some others did.

There's a lot to be said for the Crosman 2240 in its factory guise. It's cheap, reasonably accurate and not too hard to shoot decently. With a bit of file and polish work on the sear and a bit lighter spring it can be made to shoot very well with only a bit of time spent smoothing it up. Since it's only a $50 pistol it's easier to convince one's self to dig in and experiment a bit. Replacement parts are available cheaply from Crosman so if you really botch the job up then it's not hard or expensive to return to factory specs.

There are some other cheap mods that one can do if one decides that one is capable of outshooting the pistol (most folks CAN'T outshoot a factory stock Crosman 2240 - because most folks can't shoot a pistol to start with). If you believe (or KNOW) that the pistol is not shooting as well as you are capable of then you can tighten up things a bit with some teflon tape around the barrel at the port, just enough to take up any slop there. Check the barrel for a good crown job and if need be you can recrown it yourself. None of this takes more than a bit of tinkering and many of us have the few bits and pieces needed just laying around so there's no outlay of cash.

If you'd like a cheaper plinking pistol then it's not too hard to buy a 1377 barrel and bolt from Crosman and turn it into a 1740. Same breech, same everything, just swap in the longer, smaller caliber barrel and bolt and you're good to go.

The Crosman 2240 is a good deal right out the door. A bit better deal (for not TOO much more money) is the already mentioned Custom Shop 2300KT. You can choose between the 7" barrel in 22 or 177 caliber or go with a longer 10 inch Crosman for not much more money. The downside to the Custom Shop pistols is that they come sans rear sight in the cheapest form. If you're good at fabricating things then you can put together a rear sight - or you'll need to put some kind of optic on top. For iron sight shooting the best bet is to go with their LPA MIM sight. - but now we're well out of the realm of the $50 pistol and pre-shipping cost of the 2300KT with a 10 inch barrel and LPA sight is right at $129. What do those extra $79 dollars buy you? They get you a steel breech, a steel bolt, a much better rear sight, a longer barrel which gives better sight radius for using those open sights, a better trigger/sear/spring setup. And (with the exception of doing some polishing on the sear) there's nothing you need to do other than use a drop or so of appropriate lube on each CO2 cartridge and shoot away to your heart's content.