Crosman 1701P red dot

OldSparky:

I have a 1701P, and it's a really nice pistol It's a 10 meter gun, so only puts out about 6 foot pounds from the factory, but it's tunable like a Marauder, so you can make it what you want. It's incredibly accurate at close range, and the Lothar Walthar barrel sure does a nice job.

filling from a pump isn't bad either. Small cylinder means 30 or so pumps fills back to the top and then you get 50 or so shots per fill. Works best 2800 PSI down to about 1500 PSI. Only real down side is that it's a bit front heavy due to the cylinder placement.

Trigger is tunable to a true 2-stage and as light as you want it.

For a "Cheap" Pistol, I've been impressed by it. You will need to plan on some tinkering time with the trigger, but it's crisp and on pare with about any other trigger I've seen.

I've put several thousand rounds through mine, cleaned it a couple times (you should plan on a nice cleaning before leading in when you get it.) Shoots great! Cleaning is needed initially, but considering I use the cheapest wadcutter pellets from Gamo ($5 per tin of 500), and it can do hole on hole at 6 meters (length of my indoor range), and at most I clean it once per tin, it's really performed well.

It was either the 1701P or the Woods Walker and I think the 1701P fit my personal needs best. Really like the gun.

Congratulations! You are going to be so pleased with its accuracy in spite of its relative affordability now owning a "do it all" pistol with a short carbine rifle potential. If you can live with it shooting in the low to mid 400's for close range tack driving target shooting then leave it alone and trigger adjustment is the only thing needed and you get a whole lot of shots with very good consistency even though it is not regulated, good job Crosman! The Lothar Walther barrels are incredible! Need it ridiculously quiet with just a faint sound of discreet flatulence? A TKO will do just fine. However, if you are inclined to want to bump up the power level whether moderately or significantly, I would recommend replacing the 1701P's original .043" TP by purchasing a pair of OEM Crosman transfer ports specifically used for the 1720T specifically the .067" since the 1720T comes with 2 different sized TPs and for the Marauder Pistol .08". You will get significantly more power with less shots the larger you go but will enable you to effictively hit targets out to 55 yards and beyond with this little pistol as well as enable light hunting or pesting with it. I would recommend getting these other size transfer ports rather than drilling the factory 1701P TP because once you drill it, you can't go back unless you buy another factory TP for it and you can switch it around whenever you feel the need to based on what you want to do today. If you go for the larger TPs I can assure you that you will want to put a rifle scope on it to shoot it out past 50 yards because the accuracy of these little pistols is quite frankly phenomenal. Want to turn it into a neat little carbine? R.A.I. adjustable AR stock adaptor with retractable and side folding abilities. Want to bling and make it more comfortable? Custom wooden target grips. Me? I couldn't decide so I cumulatively ended up buying 3 of these and each are configured a little differently and none of them use the factory smallest TPs since I want to be able to accurately shoot farther than 20 yards and do some light pesting with them, one has the medium .067 TP, custom wooden target grips with open sights got a rear sight for it (tempted to put a variable magnification pistol scope since its just too accurate for open sights) with a TKO with improvised front sight post, next one also has the .067 TP with a TKO with RAI adj. AR stock (collapsible and side folding) with a 3-12X Leapers mini Swat and the third similar to the second with TKO but with the P-Rod .08 TP with a 4-16x Leapers mini Swat. I was thinking of parting with one and just have two of these but they all shoot so accurately I couldn't decide and so I decided to just keep all of them. I see a Steve Corcoran WWO custom carbine stock for one of them in the future.

Edited- I would have left the 400-450fps factory .043" TP in my "pistol" configured 1701P but I wanted much cleaner holes in the target so after I used the 1720T's .067" I never went back. I had contemplated running a 3/64 drill bit (.046875" ) through the factory .043" TP having hopes to up it closer to 500fps. It would be just a tiny bit larger than stock.

I do own a 1720T but feel that it is a bit too front heavy like my P-Rods and enjoy shooting the1701Ps more.

CA

Thank you for your PM, here goes...

I get about 20 realiable shots with proper adjustments which is roughly a little less than half of what they did before. I would imagine if I did the BStaley Oring mods they may get a higher shot count but they shot so well that I didn't want to mess with it and just refill when needed. I can guarantee that you will have so much fun with it that you would think it is your best ever purchase for an air pistol specifically for long distance shooting. I would highly recommend a chrony if you don't already have one because you want to adjust it so that it is still within a reasonable realm of consistency while filling it up to 3000 psi, otherwise you will have to start at a lower fill pressure and in effect get less reliable shots if the adjustments aren't perfect. You can buy a chrony at just about anywhere you prefer and the extra different sized transfer ports by giving Crosman a call. You may opt to purchase from alternative sources who deal in manufacturing after market replacement parts or custom parts but I feel there is no need to spend the extra money and besides the OEM Crosman parts should "drop in" fit perfectly. You can get the cheaper plastic carbine stock anywhere of your liking, it is a Crosman OEM add on carbine stock. I have a few of them on other "less worthy" Crosman pistols myself but had opted to go for it when it came down to my 1701Ps and got the R.A.I. adapters and collapsible AR stocks and folding option add on.

I am "BORROWING" some AGN previous threads to point you in the right direction- Try not to drool~

One of my guns looks similar to RenoTwolf's with the TKO but without colorful hydrophonics graphics.

https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/marauder-pistol-ar-stock-question/

https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/r-arms-innovations-prod-adjustable-adapter-stock-combo/

The side folding adapter will add a little length to the pistol but you don't need to get it if you are content with just the AR collapsible stock and don't need to pack in a small case or pistol bag. Its a $25 add on but have it on 1 of my 3 1701Ps and on 1 of my P-Rods and will probably buy 2 more for others begging to be "BLINGED".

I tried the DIY home made adaptor and it kept working its way loose so I put it onto a 1377 pumper where it still is wobbly and all.

I also wasted money on a cheap paintball AR stock as a cost cutting measure and it is not worth it, it is like a kids toy.

Do it RIGHT the FIRST TIME...

NONE OF THE COULDA SHOULDA WOULDA...

Spend your money ONCE AND BE HAPPY!!!

But not on ones that have troublesome regulators.

HTH

CA

O.S., 

A Crosman 1701P will shoot with ANY air pistol at any price. And anyone with the slightest bit of mechanical inclination can work on it and be amazed at how simple and easy it is to work on. It is the best bargain in a PCP pistol. As excerpted from my latest airgun book, Custom Classic and Otherwise Awesome Air Pistols! -

"The Crosman 1701P is a perfect example of an adage I quote all too often in this digital age; “SIMPLICITY is the hallmark of good design!” 

Good on ya’ Crosman! With the fine and wonderfully simple 1701P, you’ve made life better at 10 meters. And in the case of this old airgun-rodder, life beyond 10 meters.

WAY beyond!"

1538450307_6353609715bb2e38366e0a1.38378222_1701 New.JPG

the 1701P is functionally similar to a Marauder, just a lot smaller. So adjusting is simple. Mine is still stock, with open sights so I can use it as a 10 meter gun. When I shoot from a v-block, it stacks pellets. When I shoot off hand, that's another story, but I think we know what the problem is there.

For an "Economy" pistol, it shoots accurately with crappy ammunition, is high quality, and can be owner serviced if needed. Only downside is a bit heavy on the front.

Now, don't get me wrong, but if you want to compare a 1701P to a real economy gun, go to Walmart and buy the Beeman Single Stroke they sell for about $30. It's a solid little gun (I also have one of those), but when you compare fit, finish, and the TRIGGER, that's an econo gun. This is an excellent pistol, and with the addition of a regulator, could be on par with any $1000 gun out there. It just shoots.

If you can't tell, I like it.