Crosman 150 cocking knob question

After plinking around with my 150, I walked up a long hill to my car and when I went to put the gun in its case, the cocking knob was gone. I retraced my steps but no luck.

The gun still cocks by pulling back on that little nut (see pics). It fires fine and holds air.

This happened several years ago so I can't recall if the nut on the shaft was already there, or if I put it on the shaft after I lost the cocking knob.

Anyway, I would like to get a proper cocking knob for my 150. I am told the knob is sold with a "hammer assembly" but my question is, if I get the hammer assembly, do I just use the knob that comes with it and screw it onto the threaded shaft (as seen in my pics) and put the rest of the new hammer assembly aside for future use, or is not that simple?

Thanks for any thoughts.

150b.jpg150a.jpg150c.jpg

Hammer and knob are all one piece!
Would be just a simple swap out.
I've never seen one separate like that 🤔
Thanks so much! So did I lose more than just the cocking knob?

Like I said, I cannot recall if I added the nut or not.

Also, I am basically blind in one eye and one hand is almost useless, so anything simple can be a challenge. Would this involve taking the gun apart? I'll look around and see if I can find a video or instructions of swapping out the hammer assembly.

BTW, this cocking knob came off in my first use of the gun after having a Crosman repair service replace the seals. I wonder if that had something to do with it?

Yours is the first generation and I think that nut belongs there! Second generation they did away with it. Its a pretty simple fix.
Two screws that hold the grip frame on and be careful because there's a small spring and ball that keeps tension on the safety!
And the screw in the rear sight needs to come out also! Just go slow and it's a pretty easy process.
Thanks so much! So did I lose more than just the cocking knob?

Like I said, I cannot recall if I added the nut or not.

Also, I am basically blind in one eye and one hand is almost useless, so anything simple can be a challenge. Would this involve taking the gun apart? I'll look around and see if I can find a video or instructions of swapping out the hammer assembly.

BTW, this cocking knob came off in my first use of the gun after having a Crosman repair service replace the seals. I wonder if that had something to do with it?

Thanks again, ChuckHunter. In the meantime, I did look online, and what you said is spot on for what I read regarding replacing a 150's hammer assembly.

But, I think if I do order a 150 hammer assembly, it probably is not going to be for a first generation 150. So, if that nut on the threaded shaft is specific only to a first generation 150, where would that nut fit into the equation? Just do away with it?

If there is anyone out there familiar with a first generation 150 and what I am facing, please chime in! Thanks.

Thanks again, ChuckHunter. In the meantime, I did look online, and what you said is spot on for what I read regarding replacing a 150's hammer assembly.

But, I think if I do order a 150 hammer assembly, it probably is not going to be for a first generation 150. So, if that nut on the threaded shaft is specific only to a first generation 150, where would that nut fit into the equation? Just do away with it?

If there is anyone out there familiar with a first generation 150 and what I am facing, please chime in! Thanks.
Contact Mike Baker. He may have just the knob.

Yours is the first generation and I think that nut belongs there! Second generation they did away with it. Its a pretty simple fix.
Two screws that hold the grip frame on and be careful because there's a small spring and ball that keeps tension on the safety!
And the screw in the rear sight needs to come out also! Just go slow and it's a pretty easy process.

Hammer and knob are all one piece!
Would be just a simple swap out.
I've never seen one separate like that 🤔
ChuckHunter, could I please to get you to clarify two things. (1) You said the cocking knob and hammer are one piece but does the knob unscrew from the hammer? (2) Is the threaded rod sticking from the back of my gun, with the little nut on it, part of the hammer assembly and missing only the cocking knob?
A friend has agreed to use his metal detector and retrace the route I walked when the cocking knob fell off of my gun, so I am wondering if we will be looking for a knob or some sort of assemly attached to the knob (which I think I would have seen when I originally retraced my route a couple of years ago). Thanks again.

Yes your just looking for the knob itself!
And when you put it back together I suggest you put a dab of blue locktite on the threads to keep it from backing off again.
Good luck in your search 👍
And yes it is all one assembly!
Thanks again, you've been a BIG help!

The metal detector idea just hit me yesterday. I think there's a good chance I will locate the knob that way.

If I cannot find it, I'm thinking of starting a new thread here at AirGun Nation, seeking just a 150 cocking knob from someone who might have one they'd be willing to sell. Whatta ya think, any chance of that?

BTW, I did find out that a new 150 hammer assembly/with a knob, is $35+shipping.

Might get lucky with a WTB add.
Baker airguns in Ohio is a good place to contact for part! They also do repairs on the old Crosman stuff. I've rebuilt several of these old guns through the years and still have one hanging around. Need some warmer weather to get it out though!
I'm pretty confident you'll find it with a metal detector! Brilliant idea 💡
IMG_20220111_194603.jpg

Baker airguns in Ohio is a good place to contact for part! They also do repairs on the old Crosman stuff. I've rebuilt several of these old guns through the years and still have one hanging around. Need some warmer weather to get it out though!
I'm pretty confident you'll find it with a metal detector! Brilliant idea 💡View attachment 340457
Thank you again. Nice gun, 1st generation? I cant tell if the breech and barrel are separate in the photo. I did contact Baker Airguns by email. No response yet. I might just call.

Thank you again. Nice gun, 1st generation? I cant tell if the breech and barrel are separate in the photo. I did contact Baker Airguns by email. No response yet. I might just call.
As soon as I typed my last reply I checked my email and Dennis from Baker Airguns did respond. They do not have the knob or hammer assembly. He told to check JG Airguns and I did. Their website says they are "OUT" of the 150 hammer assembly. I am now trying Precision Pellet. If they're a no-go, then I might start a WTB thread here at AirGun Nation. I won't be metal detecting for the knob until April.

I'm pretty confident you'll find it with a metal detector! Brilliant idea 💡View attachment 340457

As soon as I typed my last reply I checked my email and Dennis from Baker Airguns did respond. They do not have the knob or hammer assembly. He told to check JG Airguns and I did. Their website says they are "OUT" of the 150 hammer assembly. I am now trying Precision Pellet. If they're a no-go, then I might start a WTB thread here at AirGun Nation. I won't be metal detecting for the knob until April.
Hi ChuckHunter, I was able to talk with Rick Willnecker at Precision Pellet in PA. He's worked on Crosman's since 1972, age 13! Rick had several 150 hammer assemblies and he even had a cocking knob laying around from an old Crosman job he had done. He basically guaranteed me that I would not get just the cocking knob onto the rod sticking from the back of my 150. It doesn't thread on, it needs to be pushed/forced on while keeping that shaft from moving with visegrips or something like visegrips. He said, "I've tried it, believe me, it's like pissing up a rope" and I believed him! So, I ordered a new hammer assembly and he is throwing the cocking knob in with it. The way it sounded, even if I did end up finding my lost cocking knob, it probably would not have mattered. I highly recommend Rick and Precision Pellet. Nice guy and very knowledgeable!

Yes your just looking for the knob itself!
And when you put it back together I suggest you put a dab of blue locktite on the threads to keep it from backing off again.
Good luck in your search 👍
And yes it is all one assembly!
Not sure if have been replying to myself or not but I did post a few things to you at the bottom of the thread. Thanks again for all your help!