Crosman 1377 Red Dot Stock Question

Hello, I'm new here and coming back to air guns after a number of years and need a little help. I have a Crosman 1377 and added a shoulder stock, steel breech, and cheapo red dot sight. 

I can't seem to sight in with the red dot sight and use the stock. The dot is all over the place and totally dependent on where I place my head; I understand this completely. I cannot place my cheek on the stock and get a sight picture; eye, dot, target are not lined up. I can however use the dot sight with my arms out stretched. Can the sight be used in conjunction with the shoulder stock?

Also, with the steel breech installed I can no longer use the original iron sights. There is a rounded protrusion on the back of the steel breech which prevents the bottom of the rear sight (either peep or slot) from laying flat and being screwed in unless I cut it off. 

Is there a way I can: 

A) properly use the red dot sight with the shoulder stock

B) loose the dot sight and use steel breech with the original iron sights or will I have to go back to the original plastic breech

Thanks

You are correct...you can move your head anywhere on the screen/window, and still be on target !

IF...you did your initial "sighting in" properly.

I do my initial sighting in with the dot as in the center of the window as I can. Get the pellets point of impact on the target where you want it.

THEN...no matter where the dot is in the window, you will "still" be on target with the dot on the bulls eye. That's just the way that they work. You can view the dot in a lower corner of the window, on the bulls eye and...the gun will be aimed on target.

One thing to remember, most all red dot sights, as many things are in life, cheap things are more than just inexpensive..! You get what you pay for. ALL...of my guns have red or green dot (LED powered) sights, of one brand or style. I also have one holographic (laser powered) sight. Sometimes it takes a little getting used to. Especially if you wear glasses as I do. Most cheaper dot sights, the dot will not be a crisp, round dot. It may be a fuzzy, odd shaped, blooming colored spot. Where as better / more expensive dot sights will have a nice crisp, "round" dot. Some even have triangles (chevron or delta) "dots". I like these the best, as you put your target at the tip of the dot. The dot does not cover the target at all.

Artemas PP700A-S.1644335760.JPG

OR...sure, you can go back to the iron sights.

Mike

Reactions: SgtOutlaw76
https://photos.app.goo.gl/XrEtd5gXmYzvxEpt5

My two 1322's with camo tape covering the padding . The bottom one is a pool noodle, and the top is hose insulation. Both with red dots, very accurate. Both steel breach with permatex gasket sealant when mating the barrel inside the breech. No flex. More than likely it is the quality of the red dot. Don't give up on the pumper, a lot of cheap fun can be had.

well I'm not familiar with that model, but if it is just a flat spot and screws, seems like a few minutes in the milling machine with the old plastic breach to copy the height measurement and then just drill and tap it.. simple evening project I think.. I don't know where you are, but if you were anywhere close by I'd tell you to bring it on over and let's just have a little fun with the tools.. I'm totally with open sights..I don't think I could hit the broad side of the barn from inside with a scope, but iron sights.. well if I can see it I can hit it.. I used to back in the day have a lot of guns scoped.. I don't know if it's the fact that I need glasses to read but not outside.. but I have my last two powder guns that had scopes, one with a really good scope and another with a very good red dot sight.. looks like a miniature scope, but no magnification adjustment but you could vary the dot size and brightness.. turned out good, I was trying to figure out what to get my daughter for her birthday and her wanting them made it all good.. 

20220209_220059.1644462309.jpg
20220209_220124.1644462310.jpg
20220209_220259.1644462311.jpg
I also have the steel breech, stock, and cheap RDS. As LGD said, most RDS, when zeroed correctly, they should be parallax free.

My 'dot' (disregard picture thru RDS) at brightest setting, looks like a misshapen square. I tone it down until it looks like a dot.

I only rarely plink with this, no hunting.

No, you can't have any pozole'!

Reactions: SgtOutlaw76
no I don't want your gun, I am glad you got it figured out, guess I should have just said that it shouldn't cost much to take the old plastic receiver and the new metal one to a machine shop and get it so you can use whatever sights make you happy.. I've been so disappointed with the airgun industry because it seems like they are forcing us to use optics.. I for one don't shoot with scope and it is getting very hard to find PCP air guns with open sights available.. it used to be common to have open sights and the ability to mount scopes.. I just wish they would always have it so we can use whatever sights we like