Crosman 1322 discharging WITH safety engaged

IMG_5645.1614290650.jpg

So far I've just done the "free" spring mod (compressed the trigger spring) and some cosmetic things.to my pistol Now, I can engage the safety, pump the gun 4-6 times and the air will sometimes discharge (and shoot a round if there's one chambered). Is this just an issue with the spring, or do I have an additional thing going on as well?

Thanks in advance,

you may have reinstalled the spring incorrectly (not likely), or you simply over compressed the spring.

it is recommended to cock and pump without any pellet chambered after adjusting the spring, and giving it a help thunk on something, to see if you compressed the spring too much.

try to stretch the spring back out and reinstall

I don't think that is it at all. Even with no trigger spring installed, the safety should prevent firing. Seems something else is going on. Maybe a wrongly installed part (or adjusted too light if any type of adjustable sear/trigger was installed) or wear on the safety engagement area. Possibly safety not fully going to engagement point. Seems particularly dangerous with a pump type gun.

you may have reinstalled the spring incorrectly (not likely), or you simply over compressed the spring.

it is recommended to cock and pump without any pellet chambered after adjusting the spring, and giving it a help thunk on something, to see if you compressed the spring too much.

I don't think that is it at all. Even with no trigger spring installed, the safety should prevent firing. Seems something else is going on. Maybe a wrongly installed part (or adjusted too light if any type of adjustable sear/trigger was installed) or wear on the safety engagement area. Possibly safety not fully going to engagement point. Seems particularly dangerous with a pump type gun.

I didn't change any of the parts. Prior to today, I did have a couple of "farts: happen while pumping the gun....maybe the piston doing something weird? It only happened once or twice, and today I have what seems like full discharges that occurred while pumping, The safety mechanism itself has never been touched or modified and it seems to be mechanically fine.

are you cocking the bolt before pumping? that may help people determine where the issue is. 

also, user bandg has more experience than myself overall IMO being in this forum, and has advised me on questions i've had. so i would defer to his opinion over mine.

Not a 13XX expert at all but I do have a couple of them. It seemed that OP was describing pumping while cocked. If the gun will take air without cocking then that might be a better way to proceed but it just seemed to me that the safety SHOULD prevent discharge during pumping unless the mechanism is set to a "hair trigger" engagement depth or is actually malfunctioning in some manner. The pistol did not look new to me and I thought maybe some wear might be involved. As one pumps these pistols, the increasing pressure creates a bit more jarring as number of pumps goes up so it seems the trigger mechanism is breaking from the shock. I have a Webley Alecto that will do the same thing (discharge during pumping almost always on the third pump) if I set the trigger too light and it is independent of the safety. I would pump the 1322 maybe 3 times, engage the safety, and put pressure on the trigger to see if the safety is actually holding well.

The gun is only about a month old and has been fired about 750 times. The safety mechanism is fine. Based on what I've surmised so far I've decided to stretch and reinstall the trigger spring. Perhaps it was a "hair trigger' that was causing the discharge. I'll experiment in the yard a bit and take caution to point the pistol in a safe direction while pumping.

The gun is only about a month old and has been fired about 750 times. The safety mechanism is fine. Based on what I've surmised so far I've decided to stretch and reinstall the trigger spring. Perhaps it was a "hair trigger' that was causing the discharge. I'll experiment in the yard a bit and take caution to point the pistol in a safe direction while pumping.

Some guns won't pump without cocking because the hammer cracks the valve open at rest. If your pistol will pump without cocking and the safety functions well with no bump firing then cocking AFTER pumping would seem to solve the problem even with the lighter spring.

Stretch the spring out a little. Happened to me when I compressed the spring and when I put a super sear in a different gun. More spring pressure solved the issue in both guns. 

I always pump first then cock and load.

Looks like sticman77 may have been correct initially. Hope the advice solves the problem. I agree on the cocking after pumping fully.