• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Critter removal

Every once in a while I come across a fun opportunity to remove a critter for someone with the airgun.Great tool when occasion arises to take out pigeons squirrels or rats.This time its rats.Big as squirrels ,just without the bushy tails and I wont be eating them no matter how much Bourbon I have after the "hunt"! A couple of weeks ago a client of mine called me with a problem at her house with her chickens.I asked if it was rats and reply was yes.Said I would drop by and acess the situation. She had one hell of a population of rats for her 6 chickens Burrows everywhere.Told her I could bring by a few bait stations,but she didnt want me to use poison(I am a district inspector for a pest control company and a Wildlife Control Agent.. Ok then I will set a dozen rat traps and shoot with airgun to cull the rats.She gave me permission to do so and we settled on a price..Returned with regulated R10 in 177. Set to 15 fpe,shooting 10.5 gr domed crossman pellets.Set the traps ,then set up my folding beach chair and shooting sticks.Sat near some trees about 10 yards away from coup and within 10 min the rats came out.Now this was around 4pm.Not bad for first outing 8 rats ,9 shots.Day 2 3rats 3 shots.Due to busy schedule had to let traps take up the slack till I could pick them off again.No such thing as a dumb rat.They catch on quick.They are a bit shy now spoI will change tactics as to where vI sit. Also will bring AirArms S400 carbine in 22.Also set to 15 fpe Next time I post ,will also include pics of shooting rig and quarry!

Reactions: Cycletech
Every once in a while I come across a fun opportunity to remove a critter for someone with the airgun.Great tool when occasion arises to take out pigeons squirrels or rats.This time its rats.Big as squirrels ,just without the bushy tails and I wont be eating them no matter how much Bourbon I have after the "hunt"! A couple of weeks ago a client of mine called me with a problem at her house with her chickens.I asked if it was rats and reply was yes.Said I would drop by and acess the situation. She had one hell of a population of rats for her 6 chickens Burrows everywhere.Told her I could bring by a few bait stations,but she didnt want me to use poison(I am a district inspector for a pest control company and a Wildlife Control Agent.. Ok then I will set a dozen rat traps and shoot with airgun to cull the rats.She gave me permission to do so and we settled on a price..Returned with regulated R10 in 177. Set to 15 fpe,shooting 10.5 gr domed crossman pellets.Set the traps ,then set up my folding beach chair and shooting sticks.Sat near some trees about 10 yards away from coup and within 10 min the rats came out.Now this was around 4pm.Not bad for first outing 8 rats ,9 shots.Day 2 3rats 3 shots.Due to busy schedule had to let traps take up the slack till I could pick them off again.No such thing as a dumb rat.They catch on quick.They are a bit shy now spoI will change tactics as to where vI sit. Also will bring AirArms S400 carbine in 22.Also set to 15 fpe Next time I post ,will also include pics of shooting rig and quarry!

I am just curious as to some of the details:

• Were eggs eaten or maimed?
  • Were hens killed or maimed?
  • If the chickens were killed...were they eaten on the spot or removed? Also what part(s) were eaten if they were partially eaten? These are all clues.
  • Was food eaten?
  • Were the hens in a pen or free ranging?
  • If the chickens were in pens, how was entrance made by the animals?
  • Tracks, feces, hair, etc. observed?

I have seen many different species of animals cause various types of issues around poultry farms, dairy farms, hog farms, pecan farms, etc. I'm not speaking of invasive species, although there are certainly nuisance/predator species among these. Sometimes you must turn into a detective to determine the culprit(s). I have often observed that there were multiple predator/nuisance species involved. Different methods of control are often required. I have seen a lot of these issues throughout the years. I also raised large numbers of quail and other birds for many years and experienced a lot of predator issues in the operation. I often resorted to using trail cameras as a management tool. Almost always drastic measures (killing, trapping) were necessary to stop/lesson the problem. I also did consultant work for a lot of quail hunting preserves. Predators were a major problem not only on the preserves but around the grow off & flight pens. I often had repeated issues with white oak (rat) snakes. Even if they did not eat the eggs they would spook the birds which would flush inside the pens and break their neck. Predator/nuisance control is a constant battle.

Good luck with your business.

Squirrel getter, chickens/eggs not eaten .Chickens free ranging in day put in /shut in coup at night.Rats have gnawed entry into coup.Yes inspection is key.You pretty much must be a detective to look for clues to solve mystery.Earlier this year my chickens were ending up dead.At first thought it was rats ,but they were not eaten from neck to vitals.After loosing 5 birds finally found clue I should have,a few hairs on shingle next to door over nesting boxes.Looked closer and saw /relized we were not locking latch ,feeling weight of door secure enough to keep birds safe.Went back to house and came back to coup with 2 long spring and 2 leg hold traps.Over the next couple of days got 3 raccoons.Problem solved.Game cameras are a great tool also.

Reactions: Cycletech