Cricket corkscrewing

At 50 yards everything is great, 1/2 inch groups are no problem.

when I move out to 70 yards these crazy cork screws are causing me to miss my POA by as much as 1.5 inches. And several inches at 100 yards. Not every pellet cork screws, but when it does happen I can see it thru my scope as the pellet travels to the 100 yard target.

I've cleaned my barrel and tried without the shroud. No difference. The paper that came with the gun said it was shooting jsb 18s at 890s. When I get lucky and the cork screws don't happen, it will stack pellets at 100 yards. 

Any help or suggestions ? 

When you say that not every pellet cork-screws, do you mean that some brands do and some don't, or some JSB 18g do and but not every time?

if it's the first, it's normal for some pellets to work better than others in every air gun. Just because JSB pellets work well in one Cricket (or even most Crickets), it doesn't mean yours can't be better suited to something else. It's unlikely that the store would have tested any pellets out to 70 yards unless it's not one of the larger players. I.e. Their test results might not be a pellet recommendation.

If it's the second, have you tried a different tin of JSBs (in case it's a bad batch or one damaged in transit)? Have you checked the wind before shooting? If you are firing into a head wind, that can cause spiraling. That would explain the sporadic nature of the problem. If it was a burr causing the issue, I would assume it would happen to every pellet unless the pellet was smaller (so it could pass through without damage (but I guess it's still possible that's the problem.

Either way, if it were me, I'd be cleaning the barrel, trying different pellets and shooting directions before I let power tools get anywhere near my barrel, breach, or transfer port. Then again, my metal-work skill level is closer that of a chimp than a man's, so I'd be more likely to make the problem worse. If it's new, you'd void your warranty too. 

If you just cleaned the barrel, it might just need a little time.

"zebra"When you say that not every pellet cork-screws, do you mean that some brands do and some don't, or some JSB 18g do and but not every time?

if it's the first, it's normal for some pellets to work better than others in every air gun. Just because JSB pellets work well in one Cricket (or even most Crickets), it doesn't mean yours can't be better suited to something else. It's unlikely that the store would have tested any pellets out to 70 yards unless it's not one of the larger players. I.e. Their test results might not be a pellet recommendation.

If it's the second, have you tried a different tin of JSBs (in case it's a bad batch or one damaged in transit)? Have you checked the wind before shooting? If you are firing into a head wind, that can cause spiraling. That would explain the sporadic nature of the problem. If it was a burr causing the issue, I would assume it would happen to every pellet unless the pellet was smaller (so it could pass through without damage (but I guess it's still possible that's the problem.

Either way, if it were me, I'd be cleaning the barrel, trying different pellets and shooting directions before I let power tools get anywhere near my barrel, breach, or transfer port. Then again, my metal-work skill level is closer that of a chimp than a man's, so I'd be more likely to make the problem worse. If it's new, you'd void your warranty too. 

Jsb, some spiral and some do not. I've tried five differnt tins with the same results. I've been shooting early morning with less then 5mph winds. The barrel was cleaned about 200 pellets ago. I'm thinking I should just send it to Ernest Rowe for a tune. 

"Muskrat."
"zebra"When you say that not every pellet cork-screws, do you mean that some brands do and some don't, or some JSB 18g do and but not every time?

Jsb, some spiral and some do not. I've tried five differnt tins with the same results. I've been shooting early morning with less then 5mph winds. The barrel was cleaned about 200 pellets ago. I'm thinking I should just send it to Ernest Rowe for a tune.
Maybe try a few different brands and other types of JSB (like monsters) to determine if it's the gun or the pellet type. They might just not be your pellet. Sometimes it's easier and better to switch pellets than it is to alter the gun to make it work with the pellet you want. Also, try increasing and decreasing the hammer spring tension a little (at a time). Too fast or too slow can make a pellet spiral too. 

On the wind, do you know the direction when you see the spiraling? I'm no wind expert but people who compete in BR aways seem to have stories about how two wind flags 5 feet apart were blowing in opposite directions etc. 

"Muskrat."

Maybe try a few different brands and other types of JSB (like monsters) to determine if it's the gun or the pellet type. They might just not be your pellet. Sometimes it's easier and better to switch pellets than it is to alter the gun to make it work with the pellet you want. Also, try increasing and decreasing the hammer spring tension a little (at a time). Too fast or too slow can make a pellet spiral too. 

On the wind, do you know the direction when you see the spiraling? I'm no wind expert but people who compete in BR aways seem to have stories about how two wind flags 5 feet apart were blowing in opposite directions etc. 

My guess would be clipping on the end cap or LDC if you have one, it just takes a tiny bit and not all pellets will clip opening up the hole slightly will take care of it. I polish the bore of the end caps because it is the only way I have been able to see the clipping with the anodize on it I could not even tell. I tried white out nothing g works as good as polishing it. You will see the dull smear of the lead sometimes it is not even the length of the hole.

I had some spiraling issues with my fx wildcat. First it was slightly clipping the air stripper and endcap. I drilled it out a little to fix that. What I found next was the pellet probe was seating the pellets a hair too deep and one side of the skirt became deformed enough to cause a little spiral or wobble. I adjusted that and it's been perfect ever since. Load a pellet and then push it back out the breech and inspect the skirt.
Load one by hand also to eliminate the magazine. I used a long wooden dowel from Home Depot. Good luck

Muskrat.I will load a pellet into the breach then push it back out and inspect it. In the mean time I think I'm going to order a Casio camera with 240 fps to see precisely what exactly the pellets are doing, it's difficult to track them with the naked eye. I will be very surprised if a light breeze can send the pellets into a spiral.

It's funny you say that, because I didn't know my pellets were spiraling consistently until I bought a casio with 240 fps . That really helps

FastEddieI had some spiraling issues with my fx wildcat. First it was slightly clipping the air stripper and endcap. I drilled it out a little to fix that. What I found next was the pellet probe was seating the pellets a hair too deep and one side of the skirt became deformed enough to cause a little spiral or wobble. I adjusted that and it's been perfect ever since. Load a pellet and then push it back out the breech and inspect the skirt.
Load one by hand also to eliminate the magazine. I used a long wooden dowel from Home Depot. Good luck

How far deep does the pellet seat now?