Cricket Bullpup Modification Ideas

Hey Erik, I just ordered a Chinese clone of the Atlas since I couldn't pull the trigger (ha ha) on buying the real one. I was also considering the UTG but after what you wrote I think I'll pass on that one. Funny I was also considering a Harris one but I'll pass on that too. Let me see how the Atlas style bipod works before I get another bipod. Thanks for your detailed analsis. You think like a scientist or engineer. Peace!

My gun was tuned by my friend. He has owned A LOT of crickets and imports them himself. So he got Me mine, although I don't have a standard Cricket, it's the Compact model.

My valve is set at half a turn from "Touch down" wich means that the valve is adjusted like this: you screw the valve down until it touches the Valve spring, that is Touch down. Then you tightened it down half a turn.

My reg pressure was increased slightly to compensate for the shorter barrel and hammer spring tuned to reach max fps and then backed off slightly. That gives Me 4 mags, or 56 shots per fill if I fill to 235 bar. The gun has a 250cc tank. My exteme Spread is around 2-3mps or 6-10 fps.

Also my barrel was polished for best accuracy and to prolong the time in between barrel cleanings

Reactions: KitCarrera
Yes and no. He is not a professional tuner with a website like Ernest Rowe. He does however do a great job and is very knowledgeable about what he does. He charged Me nothing even though I offered to pay and he even shipped the gun to Me for Free so I didn't have to pay return shipping (!?). He lives in Sweden (as do I) so you can't have him tune your gun (unless you are in Sweden as well).

Also he had a original Kalibrgun regulator tester from the kalibrgun factory. But he is done with Crickets now and sold the reg tester to Me. I intend on posting a thread about that tester as it is very Nice, but not yet.

Another mod I have is shrink hose on the cocking lever to make it nicer to hold. Also my friend modded my cocking Plate so you can lock the Magazine pin in Place. I would need pics to explain that One though.

"KitCarrera"Thanks for your input about tuning. Since I just got my Cricket I will wait until I've put 500 rounds through it before I will consider tuning the gun. It is accurate out of the box for my limited shooting range. One of the big reason I got it was for its known accuracy capability and after zeroeing it in I have not been disappointed. 
For you guys and gals that have other rifles besides the Cricket please tell me how the Cricket stacks in terms of accuracy. Is it more or less accurate than say a Vulcan, Mutant, Wildcat, or Bobcat? Thanks all for sharing!
They all have similar accuracy. Any one of them could be more accurate than the rest. You will find owners of all of them who claim their gun to be the most accurate one they own. It's mostly about luck if you get one that is particularly accurate out of the box. No two of any gun are identical. The 22 Cricket, Vulcan and Mutant all use CZ barrels.

Of the ones you listed, I think that the Mutant is the best made in terms of how solid, robust and smooth it is. The exception to that is the stock which is the worst. I find the Cricket to be slightly easier to shoot from a bench than the others (on the list) because it has more weight so it's easier to hold steady. The Wildcat and Vulcan are far more ergonomic. Overall, a sensible man could be happy with any one of them if he got a good one. Most of us aren't sensible though so we want to try more than one....

There is certainly no reason to think that you're missing out owning a Cricket. For me, it's still the gun that all others would be judged against. 

I'm amazed at the power of my 25 Cricket. 50ft lb doesn't sound like a lot when you see how much energy you get from a handgun but check out what my Cricket did to my backstop in my garage. This is/was 3.5" thick treated hardened oak. It broke every one of the blades on my power tools when I tried to cut it:

The moral of the story is that wood is not a sufficient backstop for pcp guns. I'm making a new one out of Kevlar and fiberglass. 

Zebta, please clarify are you saying that the piece of 3.5" of hardwood couldn't stop the individual pellets? Or the cumulative effect of all of those pellets you shot at it destroyed the piece of wood? That piece of wood looked aged like a piece of firewood. Would be interested in what your new backstop looks like and how it performs in stopping the .25 pellets. Lesson learned is know where your pellet will end up and you are responsible for where every pellet goes! 

"KitCarrera"Zebta, please clarify are you saying that the piece of 3.5" of hardwood couldn't stop the individual pellets? Or the cumulative effect of all of those pellets you shot at it destroyed the piece of wood? That piece of wood looked aged like a piece of firewood. Would be interested in what your new backstop looks like and how it performs in stopping the .25 pellets. Lesson learned is know where your pellet will end up and you are responsible for where every pellet goes!
It was the cumulative effect. It stopped them initially but that's what I saw when I went to remove a paper target I was using to sight in a new scope. It really didn't take long to destroy the hardest wood I have ever encountered in my life. 

It was originally a shelf above the fireplace when I moved into my house. It's old. I broke a circular saw, a jigsaw cutter and a dremel trying to cut it. It was going to be used to make a stock but when I saw how hard it was to work with it, I gave up and decided to use it as a backstop instead. It lasted about 100 rounds from pristine to how it looks in the pic...

"KitCarrera"Zebra, that piece of wood is now good for firewood! Thanks for the clarification.
It would have been except I built a 200" projector screen over the fireplace.

Here is a custom stock I made for my Cricket a while ago. I have since made much better versions of this stock but because I do too many projects at the same time, I haven't done the inletting yet. You'll get the idea:

It drops 1lb 9oz from the weight of the Cricket