• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Cricket.22 versus cricket .25

Hey guys

I own a cricket .22 mini carabine and I love it . I mainly use it for squirrels at around 80-100 yards .sometimes when I hit the squirrels there able to bounce back up and run or limp to there holes.would a cricket.25 hit the squirrels harder and drop them on the spot and have as good as accuracy as my .22

and please don’t say aim for the head at 100 yards ....hahahaha 

using a aztec scope also and shooting off my bipod 

thanks 

I've had both, and still have the .25. A bad shot on a squirrel will most always result in him getting away. I used to hunt them with a rimfire before I got into PCP's and if you gut shoot them they will run into a hole and die, so a head shot is always the best bet. But to answer your question, yes the .25 packs way more punch. I'm shooting the 34 grain JSB's at 900 and it really does a number on them. Of course the 25 grainers will too, I hunt with the heavies just in case I get a shot at a hog. And as far as accuracy, it should be as good or better, Crickets just shoot.

"scubajeeper"I've had both, and still have the .25. A bad shot on a squirrel will most always result in him getting away. I used to hunt them with a rimfire before I got into PCP's and if you gut shoot them they will run into a hole and die, so a head shot is always the best bet. But to answer your question, yes the .25 packs way more punch. I'm shooting the 34 grain JSB's at 900 and it really does a number on them. Of course the 25 grainers will too, I hunt with the heavies just in case I get a shot at a hog. And as far as accuracy, it should be as good or better, Crickets just shoot.
Wow 
so your saying the 34 grain will take down a pig or is that just slang for a huge squirrel ?

anyways I might sell my .22 and try out the .25 cricket 

The key point you make is 80-100 yards. Although a .22 can shoot out that far, after 75 yards you would be better served shooting .25. I hunt with my friend Wyshadow and when we are after ground squirrels under 50 yards I stay with a .22 (more shots per fill). However, when we go after the Prairie dogs, many shots are beyond 75 yards. I leave the .22 at home and hunt with the .25. 

Yes the difference between the two calibers is significant.You have I believe a !5" barrel, the carbine uses the compact format. The standard 22 is a 17" barrel, and the 25 a 24" barrel. You are probably at 28 FPE. The 25 can be tuned for low 60's in FPE. In real world shooting the 34 grain 25's hit with authority. I've had all Crickets, my current 25 is the most accurate of the bunch. The EDgun 25 producing 55 FPE is appealing as it's 27"? length as compared to the 33" plus Cricket. I would not hesitate to buy a used one from the classified adds, very easy gun to work on. There is much info on the net.

In my experience it doesn't make a lot of difference between .22 and .25, the difference is where you hit them. I alternate between a .22 Cricket Mini Carbine and a .25 RAW. The main difference is trajectory and shooting in a breeze. With either, if you hit them in the head or chest they'll drop and if you hit them in the belly they'll scramble for their hole. The .25 gives a more satisfying "wop". At the distances you're talking about accuracy is the main factor. There are not many guns more accurate than your Cricket.

My suggestion for the cricket .25 is to have it tuned. I have one tuned by Charley at Georgia airguns and it hits very hard. 60 FPE with the 34's. It will also get 48 consistent shots +. It shoots the 25.4 at 1000 +, and the 34's at 900 +, all with great accuracy. Never hurts to have a little extra knockdown power. You can find them used, with a tune, for around 1300.00. Or buy it directly from Charley.