Creme Rises to the Top

Creme Rises to the Top - it's an ol country saying that probably relates to making butter, candles and suet.
In the airguns world this saying applies like this:

The gun(s) that give you the most joy, leave the gun safe or gun rack the most often. As such these airguns get used the most.
They may not always be the most accurate, but they do load easily and their ergonomics allow them shoulder well with a consistent cheek weld. They don't fight you. And of course you don't want to keep fiddling with something....to make it work for you.
I own plenty of high end air gun stuff - meh - but it's not about the money; it's about form and function coming together to create a positive experience which helps me to continualy improve my field target game day by day and week by week. Doesn't matter the reason... just matters that we observe it when it happens and think about why.

For me, three of my .177 FT rifles keep coming out of the safe = A FRANKENRAW TM1000 tuned by @Motorhead and a Daystate Tsar tuned by @AirSmithCA, Right behind these two is a Daystate Revere tuned by @Kerndtc . No, no, no - you don't have to tune a gun to enjoy it; but a properly tuned gun makes the best use of air and can help you extract the most from it. I like these three particular platforms so much, that i have done my best to buy a backup for each of them; in case one was lost by the airlines or stolen or one were to need a major service; which all things pneumatic require from time to time - like o rings and hydro testing and so on.

You may also notice that the stock on the RAW TM1000 is the same as the Stock on the Daystate Tsar - because this stocks ergonomics works for me!

I've also thought a lot about the glass sitting on top of these particular rigs... the cherry on top of the dessert.
How was my choice of a scope affecting my joy factor, or, my perception of the airgun itself?
In the last two years I've learned that a scope needs to provide a user with a forgiving eye box and can be mounted at a reasonable height. Too big a scope and suddenly a great gun is thrown totally off balance; too dark a tube and suddenly you can't find the damn target or the KZ in dark lanes; yes yes yes, it has to be able to range correctly - and the reticle has to make almost intuitive sense.
I've learned that the most expensive glass, like the most airgun doesn't guarantee you any more bang for my buck. Especially for a pair of old eyes. Hawkes Sidewinders 30 mm scopes hold their own; even against my March or Sightrons. Below each of my three favorite FT rigs sports a different optic, Hawke, Sightron and Athlon. It also matters which ranging wheel you have on your scopes. To date, Joe Garland makes the best ranging wheel followed by Eric Sanders of Scope Werks.

Which ONE airgun is your Creme? And which scope is the Cherry on top?

IMG_5748.jpeg

IMG_5746.jpeg

IMG_5749.jpeg

The creme would be my .22 HW98 with a Hawke 2-7x32 AO up top. The setup includes BKL rings, Sportsmatch recoil stop, and a Hawke level. Although I like paper off the bench, my real enjoyment comes from plinking offhand at a variety of steel targets and cans from 20-70 yards or so. The 98 with the Hawke 2-7 is perfect for that.

DSC00002 copy 6.JPG

Last edited:
Cream rises to the top of raw milk that isn't homogenized. For, whipping cream, Ice cream, butter, Alfredo sauce, etc. The good stuff!

Hard to pick my favorite, but. This gun is beautiful and the .25 hits like a hammer. A shame Webley sent us only a few of them. Shoots nicer than you think a 7.8 lb spring gun making 23 ft lb would. FTT's go 725 fps. I mostly like to shoot it off hand. The Airmax is good but maybe an SF some time.
I scored it on eBay of all places. Nobody else bid on it. The factory finish didn't look that great so I refinished it. I saw a diamond in the rough. Besides the comb was too high for me so I trimmed it down some.
It doesn't just sit in a safe. I don't keep it in a safe because I don't want any of those nasty safe marks on it. It must not be very safe in there?

Pictures from the eBay listing. It came in very nice condition.
s-l1600 (4).jpg
s-l1600 (3).jpg

Who wants jumpy old break barrel springers anyway?