• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

credit card list ? something to think about .

I attempted to ship an air rifle through FedEx recently. They now treat air rifles in the same way as powder burners, so you have to go through the same process to ship it which requires setting up a FedEx account and filling out an online shipping label with all the information prior to bringing it to the FedEx shipping facility. So, I wouldn't doubt if the CC companies also jump on the control-freak train.

I was thinking more of a "Big Brother IS Watching You " thing .
and i thought CC comp. could not share that info with anybody , invasion of privacy ?
This will be exploited the same way that Google searches are right now. For example, the authorities can ask Google for IP/user data related to certain search terms or map directions in specific time frames and locations. The information is then used to compile a list of suspects. Similarly, with this information authorities will be able to ask credit card companies for information about any users that have shopped at guns stores in a specific time frame and that are located in a specific area. These capabilities have been available to authorities already but not in such a targeted way. The likely hood of being sucked into a drag net has just gone up thanks to this.

Alternatively, localities will easily be able to implement laws that mandate reporting of “suspicious” transactions to a gov database, the same way they do for any banking transactions that exceed 10,000 right now.

-Marty

Cabela's had a (CC Master Card) Bass bought Cabela's ( really more for the CC company)
I have a Capital One that I get points for use... Will have to see what they are doing..
This coding is being implemented by the credit card networks like Visa and Master Card and not the issuing banks as I understand it. If it’s branded by Visa or Master Card it will be tracked.

-Marty

“The only restriction on the possession of pellet guns in Massachusetts is age-related. Minors are not allowed to buy or sell pellet guns and cannot use them unless they are under the direct supervision of a parent, guardian or other responsible adult.

Adults may freely own pellet guns in Massachusetts. They are not subject to any licensing or registration requirements, but shooting a pellet gun from or across public areas, including streets or roadways, is prohibited. Violations result in fines of up to $100 and confiscation of the weapon.”

From legal beagle

(I am looking for a house on either the NY or MA side of the border and I was happy to find that MA is relaxed about air guns)
Yes, all that is certainly true. Zero regs regarding licensing, purchase, registration. Hell, you can even buy airgun moderators here in airgun/paintball/airsoft stores yet actual firearm silencers are totally banned (I'd have several alphabet bois stamps by now otherwise). Regards.

I agree with the sentiments that this is not a good thing. The thought process to demonize the object (gun) instead of the person using it wrongly is, unfortunately, strong despite considerable evidence it doesn't help. The reports I have seen say it will be applied to the store, not items of the purchase. That confuses me a little. Walmart, at least around here, sells ammo and guns. Does that mean that when I go to Walmart to buy groceries and pay with my Mastercard it will go into the firearm category? If so, it seems like the category will contain so many records it would be very challenging for anybody to sort it looking for bad behavior. Maybe there will be some rule about the percentage of sales that are firearm related or something? I don't think we can expect that there will be some special exception for air rifles and pellets. If we buy them in a store that sells powder burners, I think the transaction will go into the same database as powder burner ammo and firearms.

how long will that last when a 50, 75, 100 million gun owners tell Visa, MC and AE to piss off?

enact all the "policy" you want, but dont be surprised when it bites you in the ass
Not likely to happen. These companies have a duopoly on digital payment processing and too many people live on credit to give it up.

The code will be applied to retailers that source the majority of their business from guns and gun related products like ammo, airguns will be swept into the same category.

The worst part is that the banks that issue these cards will be able to selectively flag transactions with the new code (if they so choose to) for additional scrutiny. Just like your current credit cards can require an additional confirmation that charges are not fraudulent when you buy things overseas or outside your normal buying habits.

PS. A partial solution is for Congress to pass legislation that will allow both retailers as well as card holders to opt out from tracking. This is difficult to do because the companies sell this info to data brokers to track your buying habits and of course they will lobby against it.

-Marty

Last edited:
Reactions: qball
Not likely to happen. These companies have a duopoly on digital payment processing and too many people live on credit to give it up.

The code will be applied to retailers that source the majority of their business from guns and gun related products like ammo, airguns will be swept into the same category.

The worst part is that the banks that issue these cards will be able to selectively flag transactions with the new code (if they so choose to) for additional scrutiny. Just like your current credit cards can require an additional confirmation that charges are not fraudulent when you buy things overseas or outside your normal buying habits.

PS. A partial solution is for Congress to pass legislation that will allow both retailers as well as card holders to opt out from tracking. This is difficult to do because the companies sell this info to data brokers to track your buying habits and of course they will lobby against it.

-Marty
Let us not rely on Congress for anything helpful.

Reactions: rcs9250
how long will that last when a 50, 75, 100 million gun owners tell Visa, MC and AE to piss off?

enact all the "policy" you want, but dont be surprised when it bites you in the ass
Better way to aggravate them is to pay your balance in full each month. They make zero money off you unless your card has an annual fee and you get FREE short term financing. They hate that and in the CC industry they have a term for people like that: deadbeats. I pay my cards in full each month less about $5-$10 so they always make a few pennies interest. They can cancel your card if they are not making money from interest off you.

It may be hard for some but do your best to pay your cards off then pay in full each month.

Oh, Use cash for guns and ammo..

If a merchant has a higher price for use of my credit card I pay with cash or a check. But most eat the CC fee and I charge for my convenience. It's just easier to pay a couple credit card bills than write a bunch of checks or carry a bunch of cash. It is also handy occasionally to go back through previous statements to find a purchase. I pay my cards off, completely, each month. I am not trying to brag, but I've done this for decades and I have no trouble getting or keeping cards. I have never been canceled. I canceled a Mastercard that refused to remove my dead wife's name from the account and had a replacement in a few days. My credit limit dropped but I just charge my monthly expenses, makes no difference to me what my credit limit is.

If the rule is applied to businesses who most sell guns and gun related merchandise I may just pay cash or a check when I shop there.

Seems like there is still a lot unknown. Like what do they do with airgun only businesses? Probably just have to monitor statements to determine what they do and respond accordingly.

I won't cancel my cards but if Discover doesn't use the new category it may get used a lot more. I may use checks more too.

Reactions: Str8tshooter
Now you might understand why there is a push for a "cash-less" society by some... think about it... act accordingly.

I use a CC for convenience only. Not to mention you can't rent a car/get reservations without one and I will never trust PayPal and the like. Oh, and don't get me started on crypto-currency! (sigh)

Take it for what it is worth from a member with the initials BS (BackStop). (chuckle)

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: SHOMER and qball
On any given day people are posting about everything they have and provide pictures here, and the next day is spent worrying about being watched. It's tough to be social on a public forum and private at the same time, make that impossible. If you are going to try to privatize your signature in retail then you really should consider not posting to any social media first. A little late for that!
Big difference between willingly sharing what you’ve purchased and having those purchases monitored. If you think the government won’t have access to this info you need to re-read E. Warren’s statement. It’s the Patriot Act for gun-related purchases.

Big difference between willingly sharing what you’ve purchased and having those purchases monitored. If you think the government won’t have access to this info you need to re-read E. Warren’s statement. It’s the Patriot Act for gun-related purchases.
I think the poster's message was, we sometimes include too much personal information on a public forum, without considering how that information could be misused. At least, I read it that way. You're right, there's a big difference in that the forum, as far as I know, isn't the subject of a specific government monitoring program. But, some of the people who could be gathering data from it are a greater threat than the government.

Better way to aggravate them is to pay your balance in full each month. They make zero money off you unless your card has an annual fee and you get FREE short term financing. They hate that and in the CC industry they have a term for people like that: deadbeats. I pay my cards in full each month less about $5-$10 so they always make a few pennies interest. They can cancel your card if they are not making money from interest off you.

It may be hard for some but do your best to pay your cards off then pay in full each month.

Oh, Use cash for guns and ammo..
this is what i do , pay off at the end of each month , no interest , but Everything i do is with this card , and i have another that is internet only and low max charge .

Reactions: SHOMER and qball
Yes, all that is certainly true. Zero regs regarding licensing, purchase, registration. Hell, you can even buy airgun moderators here in airgun/paintball/airsoft stores yet actual firearm silencers are totally banned (I'd have several alphabet bois stamps by now otherwise). Regards.
The feds have zero need to know if you have a 'moderator', much less what you have in the way of anything that throws lead or how much lead you have.

Where I live this is all a "Mute Point" (Moot) to use the local vernacular RE: Firearms.

Other than maybe half the confused and lost university students who don't really live here, the county I live in has at least a 90% gun ownership. Just point your finger at 9 out of ten people / homes / businesses, and you will find guns and ammo. I have to chuckle when a friend says they won't buy a gun from a gun store because then it is "registered" (4473) - Yea they will never suspect that you have any guns if you never buy one from a gun store. :ROFLMAO:

Now, if I lived in an anti gun state or city, I would be paying with cash to stay off the radar. I used to work in a gun shop and recall that you had to report it to the Alphabet org if someone bought more than one handgun in a certain time frame. I don't recall if there was a required notice on long guns.