Crazy Hawk Video

I'm not a hunter so I don't really ever post in this sub, but something happened a few weeks ago that is really too good not to share. 

To start off we have this Broad-winged Hawk (at least that's what I think it is) that lives in our backyard. Probably a good reason we don't have many pest visitors. It was a nice weekend day and my wife runs and says you gotta come see this. My wife saw the hawk fly across to the back of the yard with something black in its talons. A scene straight out of Alfred Hitchcock's movie followed. About 20 crows descended into the trees at the end of the yard and were making a crazy racket and dive bombing the Hawk which just kept looking up at them like ya come and try it. 

By the time I got to the video most of it had died down and only a handful of crows still making noise in the tree while hawk had its dinner. 

Hawk - 1 1.1622500584.jpeg

download.png

Looks like you might have to right click and choose Save As to see the video.

While trail biking near a forest preserve I got to witness a peregrine falcon hit a Canadian goose about 30 feet off the ground. I think the high speed impact killed the goose but they crashed to earth as one with the falcon on top. I was no more than 20 yds from the “crash site” and as long as I did not move in that direction I was able to watch as the falcon ate a large portion of the goose. I stayed til dark and the falcon returned 2 times to feast on the goose!

I really enjoy seeing the birds of prey too, occasionally I see bits of bunny and bird pieces in my yard that I suspect are leftovers from their hunting activities. My avator picture is an apparently brave Mockingbird harassing a Harris Hawk who flew too close the Mockingbird’s nest in my neighbor’s tree.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nv6MweNftfY

…we have this Broad-winged Hawk (at least that's what I think it is) that lives in our backyard. Probably a good reason we don't have many pest visitors. It was a nice weekend day and my wife runs and says you gotta come see this. My wife saw the hawk fly across to the back of the yard with something black in its talons. A scene straight out of Alfred Hitchcock's movie followed. About 20 crows descended into the trees at the end of the yard and were making a crazy racket and dive bombing the Hawk which just kept looking up at them like ya come and try it. 

By the time I got to the video most of it had died down and only a handful of crows still making noise in the tree while hawk had its dinner.

Hawk - 1 1.1622500584.jpeg

It looks like the hawk may be removing some crow feathers in the vid. Hard to make out what’s in its talons. I believe the crow behavior y’all witnessed is called “mobbing.” Seems to come natural to crows as far as I can tell.